so after watching many sungha jung videos, i have decided i MUST learn fingerstyle, but where to start? i have no idea
There's a great deal of instructional material available, from YouTube videos to books to DVDs and even dedicated websites like this one:

http://www.acousticfingerstyle.com/

Note that "fingerstyle" covers a lot of ground; we could be talking about folkie-style pattern picking (what we used to call "Travis picking") to Latin-style strumming and classically-derived picking to jazz-type chord-melody stuff played fingerstyle...

Probably easiest to start with the "pattern picking" type; it sounds good on tons of songs, and can be modified a great deal as your skill level increases.

Here's the Wiki article on fingerstyle, with a mention of the Travis Picking along with many others:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fingerstyle_guitar
Last edited by Bikewer at Sep 24, 2010,
Or, if you think it might be a little easier/more fun, here's some suggestions:

I've never listened to the artist you mentioned, but I must say that I wish I'd heard of a couple of these songs when I was trying to learn to play fingerstyle:

Iron & Wine have some great, easy songs, but I'd have to believe the easiest is:

Faded From The Winter- http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/i/iron_and_wine/faded_from_the_winter_ver2_tab.htm

Seriously, it's an almost constant pattern over a two-note power chord shape. The only difficulty you might have (I don't know where you are in guitarin') is sliding up and down the neck to the right fret, but this is an easy way to get used to that, as well.

Some other good starting songs by him include

Such Great Heights
Lion's Mane
Naked As We Came (look up the drop-d version, that's the correct one)

And, other good songs to get your fingers working:

Dust In The Wind- Kansas
Go Ahead- Rilo Kiley (feel free to ignore the little flourishy bit on the G chord, just pick it the same way through C Dm and G, and it'll sound fine)

I'm trying to only mention songs that don't have *too* much in the way of fancy bits, or songs that you can ignore the fancy bits for and just pick through the chords and still come out with something you can sing/hum along to. Once you get your right hand in shape, then it's time to start working on other songs.

Tip: Make sure you use at least *two* fingers on your right hand starting out, I won't tell you to try and organize your ring finger into that yet, you can do that later, but don't get into the habit of only using your index finger! (I don't care what Merle Travis did). Once I saw a dude trying to play Dust In The Wind with just his thumb and index, and it was hilarious the intent, shredder expression he had on his face trying to get all that picking in like that, while I could just breeze through it indefinitely by using one more finger.
Quote by liggsies
Or, if you think it might be a little easier/more fun, here's some suggestions:

I've never listened to the artist you mentioned, but I must say that I wish I'd heard of a couple of these songs when I was trying to learn to play fingerstyle:

Iron & Wine have some great, easy songs, but I'd have to believe the easiest is:

Faded From The Winter- http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/i/iron_and_wine/faded_from_the_winter_ver2_tab.htm

Seriously, it's an almost constant pattern over a two-note power chord shape. The only difficulty you might have (I don't know where you are in guitarin') is sliding up and down the neck to the right fret, but this is an easy way to get used to that, as well.

Some other good starting songs by him include

Such Great Heights
Lion's Mane
Naked As We Came (look up the drop-d version, that's the correct one)

And, other good songs to get your fingers working:

Dust In The Wind- Kansas
Go Ahead- Rilo Kiley (feel free to ignore the little flourishy bit on the G chord, just pick it the same way through C Dm and G, and it'll sound fine)

I'm trying to only mention songs that don't have *too* much in the way of fancy bits, or songs that you can ignore the fancy bits for and just pick through the chords and still come out with something you can sing/hum along to. Once you get your right hand in shape, then it's time to start working on other songs.

Tip: Make sure you use at least *two* fingers on your right hand starting out, I won't tell you to try and organize your ring finger into that yet, you can do that later, but don't get into the habit of only using your index finger! (I don't care what Merle Travis did). Once I saw a dude trying to play Dust In The Wind with just his thumb and index, and it was hilarious the intent, shredder expression he had on his face trying to get all that picking in like that, while I could just breeze through it indefinitely by using one more finger.

Thanks for that, i'm looking into those songs now they seem to be a good starting point for me, as it's right hand technique im lacking ! i tried jumping straight into this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33YcYLumEDk) , since i found the tab for it, however my right hand cant co-ordinate that well yet.
Do a search for Blackbird on UG, its by stephen bennet but its the verion Sungha plays, if you can't play this version learn the beatles version first and that will stand you in good stead, sounds beautiful and is reasonably easy to play. good luck man