I currently own a peavey vypyr 30 watt, which is more than loud enough for me, loud enough to play a small gig, which is all i would need the new amp to do too. therefore i do not want a new amp that is much more than 30 watts, lets say maximum 50 watts.

Now i want an all tube amp but i have a budget of about £450.

first question, should i get a combo amp or a half stack?

I really like the look of the peavey 6505+ but its so ****ing massive and weighty, plus its 60 watts, all for £450. If this had a power spounge or something that let you change the wattage to say 20 W then it would be perfect.

I have recently been trying to find a <50 watt tube head for <£350

I play metal and clasic rock, but mostly bands like parkway drive, as i lay dying and all that remains. So i need something that can give me a really nice metal tone. I am using a jackson matt tuck signiture with emg 81/85 of that helps. any feedback is appreciated

Plus how does wattage work, how many watts would be twice as loud as a 50 W amp?
if you like the amp now you could always mic it, and i have a line 6 spider 2 and i get a really nice pwd tone out of, i know you said you want a tube amp, im just suggesting line 6 becaise i can get really good tone out of mine
...so you want a quiet tube head? There's no use getting a tube amp for it to be quiet.

Quote by Bernier51
if you like the amp now you could always mic it, and i have a line 6 spider 2 and i get a really nice pwd tone out of, i know you said you want a tube amp, im just suggesting line 6 becaise i can get really good tone out of mine

You represent everything most people on this site hate. But an opinion is an opinion and I respect that, even if others (surely) won't.
Last edited by Dream Floyd at Sep 24, 2010,
thanks, i will check out the Jca50 head, i saw a marshall ma in my local pmt yesterday and it looked prety nice but i litle pricey might see if they can do me a deal on that for the stack and cab 50 watt. although that might need a boost to handle heavy metal.
the ppoint of getting a low watt tube amp is so that i can pump up the volume so i can get the best sound out of it, i am never going to need more than 50 watts.
Quote by bfmv_oli
thanks, i will check out the Jca50 head, i saw a marshall ma in my local pmt yesterday and it looked prety nice but i litle pricey might see if they can do me a deal on that for the stack and cab 50 watt. although that might need a boost to handle heavy metal.

Don't even bother with the Ma series.
you could look at the peavey vypyr tube, i know it's 60 watts but if you like the original vypyr why not get one with tubes instead
Quote by britishsligean
you could look at the peavey vypyr tube, i know it's 60 watts but if you like the original vypyr why not get one with tubes instead

I was thinking the same thing. Don't know why I didn't post it though. :p
Also, what other tone are you going for, other than just plain metal?
I'm assuming Bullet, and bring me the horizon?
i am looking at tones from the average metalcore band all the way to parkway drive, they are my favourite band so mainly that but i also want to be able to get a good clasic rock-- motley crue kinda tone, not too bothered about the cleans.

The peavey 6505+ combo looks amazing, i'm just a little worried it will be too loud for what i want it for (small gigs at most) and whether it will even fit in my room aha.

And i want a change from the vypyr, don't really use the effects much and to me it sounds a bit too digital, so as much as the spider but i just want a better metal tone rather than effects. however i havent played the vypyr tube i will check it out
Amps have volume knobs.

A 30 watt valve amp will still be considerably louder than your 30 watt vypyr at full volume. But it can still manage to be played at low volumes.

I have an amp that switches from 30 watts to 15 to 7.5, frankly the difference in volume is barely noticable, all it means is you get an earlier breakup of the power valves (Which is NOT desirable for modern metal). Wattage is a measurement of power, not volume.

Go with the 6505, its perfect for what you want.
Hi there!

Well it depends if you're playing mostly home but occasionally some gigs. In my experience I'd get a head+cab combination because when it comes to gigging it's much easier to move them around when they are separate.

Plus when you get head+cab you can choose a cab that has the speakers that suits best your playing style. But in the other hand head+cab combination will become more expensive so in that budget range you could try used amps.

I think some people got a pretty nice metal sound out of this Blackstar http://www.thomann.de/fi/blackstar_ht5_combo.htm
Plus it's only 5 watts so you can really crank them tubes and get awesome tube sound! Just check youtube for blackstar ht-5 metal videos

As for the 6505+ you could get an Attenuator (google it) but it'll cost extra 100-200 depending on manufacturer and you'd have to sacrifice your clean sound unless you want to take the attenuator away everytime you want to play with decent cleans.

In general tube amps are twice louder than solid state amps so if you are looking for 50w tube amp for metal it would be about as loud as 100w solid state amp. It might be a little bit coarse definition but it is directional i think..

Oh and you could still save up your money and get something like ENGL Screamer http://www.thomann.de/fi/engl_screamer_50_roehrencombo_e330.htm
That would definately suit your needs!

Ask more if something remains unclear, I'll try to answer as best as i can.. :P
i think i will end up getting the 6505+ combo.

what would you say would be the lowest watt that you would be able to do a small gig, assuming it is a tube amp? just asking because you mentioned the blackstar ht-5, that is nothing compared to the 6505+'s 60 watts?
Quote by @li@s H4nZu
Hi there!

Well it depends if you're playing mostly home but occasionally some gigs. In my experience I'd get a head+cab combination because when it comes to gigging it's much easier to move them around when they are separate.

Plus when you get head+cab you can choose a cab that has the speakers that suits best your playing style. But in the other hand head+cab combination will become more expensive so in that budget range you could try used amps.

I agree with this

I think some people got a pretty nice metal sound out of this Blackstar http://www.thomann.de/fi/blackstar_ht5_combo.htm
Plus it's only 5 watts so you can really crank them tubes and get awesome tube sound! Just check youtube for blackstar ht-5 metal videos

Disagree with this, it wouldnt be suitable for gigging, especially not for metal, power amp overdrive is loose and raw sounding which is the opposite of metal

As for the 6505+ you could get an Attenuator (google it) but it'll cost extra 100-200 depending on manufacturer and you'd have to sacrifice your clean sound unless you want to take the attenuator away everytime you want to play with decent cleans.

Again i disagree, attenuator wont turn a big amp into a bedroom amp, theyre just supposed to help making power amp overdrive more acheivable in the studio, which again you dont want for metal. And if you want to use it for cleans you just lower the attenuation.

In general tube amps are twice louder than solid state amps so if you are looking for 50w tube amp for metal it would be about as loud as 100w solid state amp. It might be a little bit coarse definition but it is directional i think..

Oh and you could still save up your money and get something like ENGL Screamer http://www.thomann.de/fi/engl_screamer_50_roehrencombo_e330.htm
That would definately suit your needs!

Ask more if something remains unclear, I'll try to answer as best as i can.. :P

Agree and agree.

^You could get over a drummer with a 5 watter pushing a 1x12. Ideally 15 is the minimum id use to get over a drummer with a bit of room to spare. To get over a drummer without the power amp overdriving id say 30 watts minimum.
Last edited by beckyjc at Sep 24, 2010,
okay, i havent played any gigs yet but i plan to fairly soonish. When practicing with a band, i found myself turning my peavey 30 watt up to 4 max and it goes up to 13... this is the only reason i am worried it will be too loud if i get the 6505+
yeah that was with a drummer before, highest i went with the drummer was 4, maybe 5 out of 13. but when i am practicing at home it is at about 0.2
I can't really add anything that hasn't already been said, and I agree with the 6505+ combo idea. As becky said power tube saturation (pushed tubes) isn't a good thing for modern metal styles, and you will be ok turning the volume down for home use, the only thing that will give you trouble is the peavey's sensitive volume knob but I practise with a 120W 6505+ into an Engl 4x12 just fine
aha fair enough, i am conviced volume will be alright now i am only concerned whether it will fir in my room :/ it looks MASSIVE in the videos i have looked at