Recently I was in a situation that really highlighted how valuable it is to be personable. In applying for a sales job, the manager watched how I will interact with a customer. The goal was to make a complete stranger feel at ease and establish a bond, not to sell a product. Under his scrutiny and in my own inability to carry just any conversation, I sounded forced and awkward and didn't know what to say to or how to act to make a stranger feel comfortable and relatable. Obviously, I didn't get the job.

So I really need to know: Is being personable something that can be achieved through practice? And if so, what does one do to practice being more personable, ie how to carry a conversation, how to have a natural "glow"?

Nevermind specifically how to be personable in sales. I'm talking about being personable in general.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Sep 24, 2010,
Yeah.

Talk to yourself in a mirror and just mingle with ppl.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by Momentosis
Yeah.

Talk to yourself in a mirror and just mingle with ppl.

Do it.

Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Practice Just go talk to people. It will come more naturally with time and scrutiny of how it went afterwards.

Or you can get social skills training, but I doubt it's worth the money for your case

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

I used to work in a shop a few years back.
You gotta ask firstly, if they need any help.
That let's them know you are there to help.

If they say yes, then direct them, and HOPEFULLY you have a good knowledge of whatever you're selling them. If you do show that you know your stuff, that helps them feel at ease.
"Sales Banter" man, you gotta know it and practice it.

Depending on the store depends on your speech.
Informal/friendly can be good, but keep yourself polite and cheerful.
Even with difficult customers lol. They won't pester you once they realise you're unharmed by grumpiness.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Last edited by Nameless742 at Sep 24, 2010,
Just ask them if they need anything, the rest will follow..
Gear:

Ibanez SR700
Ibanez GSR200
Yamaha RGX 121Z

Peavey Tour series 450 Head + Peavey 410 TVX Cab
VOX ADVT15

Line 6: Guitarport
I do talk to people, but without a strategy or approach, I haven't had any improvements over the years. What always ends up happening is after basic questions such as how their day is going, what do they do, etc, I hit a dead end. So if there's any insights on what kind of mindset I should have in talking to people or a specific approach, I'd like to know it.

Also I can't be drunk all the time.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Try smiling a lot, that makes you look way more approachable.

It doesn't matter what you say as much as it matters about just acting like you truly give a shit.

Tons of salesmen are really friendly and helpful, but as soon as they make the sale they won't give two shits about you, which proves they're just really good fakers.
Self-confidence, bro. That and being observant enough to come up with relevant questions to ask.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by Nameless742
I used to work in a shop a few years back.
You gotta ask firstly, if they need any help.
That let's them know you are there to help.

If they say yes, then direct them, and HOPEFULLY you have a good knowledge of whatever you're selling them. If you do show that you know your stuff, that helps them feel at ease.
"Sales Banter" man, you gotta know it and practice it.

Depending on the store depends on your speech.
Informal/friendly can be good, but keep yourself polite and cheerful.
Even with difficult customers lol. They won't pester you once they realise you're unharmed by grumpiness.

That's what I was expecting to do, and I believe I was prepared to just sell the product. However, the manager was expecting a lot more than that, which he regards as the basis. He wasn't interested in that. He really emphasized on establishing personal bonds with customers. Although that may seem over the top, it's nevertheless true in the business world. Being personable is a skill that will lead you to making a lot of money.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Yup, it can be attained through practice. Just practice talking to people about anything. It helps to be in an environment where you can approach someone or there's something to talk about. For example, if you're at a museum looking at an exhibit with other people you could strike up a conversation about that.

In a sales situation obviously it's much more difficult, but the goal there would be to appear more interested in helping/informing the customer than it would be to approach them as a means to an end (ie. getting a sale). I imagine that would be especially boring because you have to feign interest in people's stories about trivial crap. The easiest way is to get them to talk about themselves.
I worked sales for a couple years, and the best thing I can tell you is to just not try too hard. Just be yourself and let things naturally come. Forcing a conversation gets awkward fast.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
What I try to do is just act like you know them. Not in an over the top way, but if you think it is awkward, it will be. I try not to care. I'm going to uni tomorrow and I'm bricking it, but I'll probably just act 'confident' and I will be.

It's like 'I think therefore I am' - 'I think I'm confident therefore I am'.

I know it's not that easy, but I've attempted to teach myself over the past couple of years to be more confident. Believe in yourself and you'll be alright.

I'm always available to give some advice if you want it my man Little gains are always a help. A couple of years ago, I couldn't talk to any girls. I went into sixth form and decided not to care anymore (I know, easier said than done). Now, two of my best friends are girls, and I get on with people better in general. It can be done my friend, as long as you try
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by Xiaoxi

Also I can't be drunk all the time.

Get some puff.

But really...

1. Be calm, be confident.
2. Use a friendly tone.
3. Don't force things.
4. Actually care, or at be a good liar if not possible.
5. Make stupid little jokes. (especially with older people, they love it for some reason)
6. Weed.

I've been doing commision sales for about 3 years now, and thats my advice.