Hey guys,

I'm thinking of buying a new distortion pedal but I don't know which one to choose.
I really like the description Boss gives about the ML-2 but a lot of people on UG are really enthousiastic about the MT-2. So I was wondering if you guys have experience with these pedals and could comment on their pro's and cons. I'm placing my new distortion pedal between an equalizer pedal and a noisegate. I appreciate all the insights you guys can give me!
What amp are you using?

I own the MT-2 an absolutely hate the thing.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I'd recommend neither, what amp are you running?
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Piss on MetalZone do not touch that abomination.
You should really really look for better distortion pedals, though most distortion pedals are terrible when made for metal.

Seriously stay the hell away from those BOSS metal pedals. There's other companies besides BOSS that makes pedals, but if you're going to choose between those two get the ML-2 instead.

If you want to hear what they sound like here though:

ML-2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRyyNNQcRUw

MT-2 (Mountain of Turds - 2):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP0mKB3d3Qg
Last edited by Clay-man at Sep 24, 2010,
Quote by Clay-man
Piss on MetalZone do not touch that abomination.
You should really really look for better distortion pedals, though most distortion pedals are terrible when made for metal.

Seriously stay the hell away from those BOSS metal pedals. There's other companies besides BOSS that makes pedals, but if you're going to choose between those two get the ML-2 instead

And you did not mention a single pedal better than the two pedals
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I'm glad I got amp modeling software over that piece of shit Metal Zone though I'll tell you that.
Quote by Perroid
I run my guitar and pedals through a Marshall VS 100 Valvestate

Safe the money you were willing to spend on a Boss pedal, sell your Valvestate, and get a decent amp with the money.

My friend owns a Marshall AVT150 stack, pretty much the same thing, just newer (I think). He will run either a MT-2, Mega Dist. through it. No matter what he does, the thing still sounds like shit, imo.

HOWEVER: If you like the sound of the amp, and the clips of the MT-2, go for it, but you will probably grow out of the crappy tone in the future.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
If you're looking at Boss distortion pedals, you're looking for an HM-2.

The MT-2 sounds especially bad with AVTs. They don't like each other at all. I actually like my MT-2 with some setups.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at Sep 24, 2010,
dont get either. get a Electro harmonix metal muff or digitech hardwire tl-2 metal distortion
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Personally, I'd sell the amp and pick up something better, and less unnecessary.

But if you like the amp don't get any BOSS distortions. Unless it's the HM-2, I've heard good things but personally never tried one.

You really don't need THAT much distortion - a lot of people overestimate the amount of gain they need. I think a Crunch Box or maybe an OCD might do it for you. Metal Muff is pretty decent as well.

If you've got the cash, I'd look at maybe a Jekyll&Hyde. Jet City also has a nice Boost/OD coming out.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
What Eq pedal do you have. To shape your distortion you need to place it after the distortion pedal. Although, there are some suggestions to place an EQ both, before and after the distortion. If you have only one EQ pedal, its better to place it after.
I looked at the whole MT-2, ML-2 debate last week and ended up getting a Metal Muff from Electro-Harmonix.
Quote by Perroid
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of buying a new distortion pedal but I don't know which one to choose.
I really like the description Boss gives about the ML-2 but a lot of people on UG are really enthousiastic about the MT-2. So I was wondering if you guys have experience with these pedals and could comment on their pro's and cons. I'm placing my new distortion pedal between an equalizer pedal and a noisegate. I appreciate all the insights you guys can give me!

Wat? Any enthusiasm anyone around here has for it a a burning hated that matches the feeling of being stung by 1000 bees with FAS, which, coincedentally, is what the MT2 sounds like.

if you want a metal pedal, check out the Barber Dirty Bomb or a Harwire TL2. But, please, for the love of gawd do not waste your money on any of Boss' "Metal" pedals.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by methead696
Get the Keeley Twilight Zone MT-2.

FVCK YEAH!

btw, metal muff isn't much better than the stock boss line.
shame on everyone here for not throwing out the barber DB too.

EDIT: JH, you saved this post from my bashing with 2 minutes to spare!
Last edited by GrisKy at Sep 24, 2010,
Ok guys,
which pedal do you suggest I buy if I want a big, fat and low sound?
FIY, I'm not selling my amp. I already checked the Digitech TL-2 Hardwire Metal Distortion and it sounds really nice but are there other pedals that might sound better?
Quote by Clay-man
Metal Muff

+1 on this

Also the Visual Sounds Jekyl and Hyde V2 is a pretty solid OD/distortion combo.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-Gibson Les Paul Studio - Gem Series
-ESP Eclipse II Standard
-ESP Horizon FR II Standard
-Marshall TSL 602
-Peavey 6505+
-Mesa 2x12 Rectifer Cab
Hard wire TL-2. Best pedal I have ever used
My Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncans
Jackson JS30RR Rhoads
Fender Frontman 25R (Want to upgrade badly)
Digitech Hardwire TL-2 Metal Distortion
Yeah that pedal actually sounded pretty decent when I heard a video of it.
I'm gonna mod my MT-2, I remember it was the $hit when I got it though. Scoop them mids!!!!
Quote by Agreed
There's a funny tendency for Boss' clipping circuits to start showing up in lots of other pedals with a lot of other stuff around them, because they have made a lot of "good idea" clipping engines over the years. The Metalzone, which I don't like as a pedal because it sounds crap unless you've got an especially dark amp, has a clipping circuit that lots of other pedals have used since it came out. Danelectro Fab Tone Distortion (big cockroach brown metal housing one, not the FAB series Distortion), Digitech Grunge, EHX Metal Muff, etc.;

What I gather from that and a page on freestompboxes.org (http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1257) is that the metal muff, along with several other metal distortions, use the same or a similar clipping circuit as the metal zone

I highly reccommend the Barber Dirty Bomb or a MODDED MT-2 because they sound good. BTW, the mods on the MT-2 are ussualy there to try to remove the fizziness that the zone is famous for.
Quote by bogg808
What I gather from that and a page on freestompboxes.org (http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1257) is that the metal muff, along with several other metal distortions, use the same or a similar clipping circuit as the metal zone

I highly reccommend the Barber Dirty Bomb or a MODDED MT-2 because they sound good. BTW, the mods on the MT-2 are ussualy there to try to remove the fizziness that the zone is famous for.

which is why I die a little inside each time I hear an MT-2 bash followed almost immediately with praise for the Metal Muff... no, it's not the SAME pedal, but they have so much in common, one just still has a 'cool' factor where the other does not.

also, I'm a huge fan of the Keeley Twilightzone mod, but there actually are several pretty good mods for the MT-2 out there, one in mind at the moment is basically a 'Diefet' more than it's not (IMO one of the better/best DIY dists).

also nice to see a fellow FSBer in here!
Thank you GrisKy, bogg808 for explaining why the Metal Muff doesn't sound good.
A friend of mine has the Metal Muff and when you play moderately loud it doesn't sound too bad.
But when you crank it up it starts screeching and hissing and makes me want to throw him together with his pedal in the garbage can. Now I'm finally able to tell him why I threw him.
Also, you're right about the modded MT-2, it sounds really good. Might I ask your opinion about the Ibanez Tubescreamer? My uncle has two of them and he said I could have one.
Basses:
Ibanez ARTB-100 (white)
Fender Standard Jazz (black)
Amp:
Peavey MK VI
Tubescreamers are nice, but they don't do metal on their own. They can be used to boost an amp for high-gain tones, but that only works if the amp has a good amount of distortion already and sounds nice (your VS100 does not qualify).

You are better off with a distortion pedal.
honestly i have a mt2 and i'm not very happy with it, even if you are good at equalizing it just plain doesnt sound that great with most set-ups. and unfortunately whenever you ask about something someone on these forums is always going to say "well this is better if you save more money."
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Last edited by whyze250f at Sep 28, 2010,
Well getting something worse than the Metal Muff isn't really good either, so why get an MT-2?

I got an HM-2, it sounds great with an overdrive behind it to boost it.
Quote by Perroid
Thank you GrisKy, bogg808 for explaining why the Metal Muff doesn't sound good.
A friend of mine has the Metal Muff and when you play moderately loud it doesn't sound too bad.
But when you crank it up it starts screeching and hissing and makes me want to throw him together with his pedal in the garbage can. Now I'm finally able to tell him why I threw him.
Also, you're right about the modded MT-2, it sounds really good. Might I ask your opinion about the Ibanez Tubescreamer? My uncle has two of them and he said I could have one.

They're great as a boost, but not really good as a stand alone dirt pedal for anything heavier than classic rock. unless you get it modded by Keeley, analogman, etc., then it couls do heavier stuff.

you should snag it regardless. It's always nice to have a tubescreamer handy to push an amp.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Hardwire TL-2. Barber Dirty Bomb or a Keeley modded MT-2.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Quote by Jhachey22
They're great as a boost, but not really good as a stand alone dirt pedal for anything heavier than classic rock. unless you get it modded by Keeley, analogman, etc., then it couls do heavier stuff.

you should snag it regardless. It's always nice to have a tubescreamer handy to push an amp.

+1, free is free, and tubescreamers are the most cloned pedal design by far for a reason.

...but I also agree with the others that it's not made for the br00tz.