Hey there UG,

I have a question regarding an upcoming purchase. I'm looking at upgrading my rig, and I have my eyes set on a GK 700RB-II 480w head with a GK Neo412 4x12 cabinet. However, I've never played through any 4x12 cabinet (I'm going to go to my local GC and see if they have one there, though.). I've owned 4x10's and 1x15s, but my favorite cab in the past was a friend's 2x12. Is there anything wrong with just running a 4ohm head through this 4ohm beast cabinet? Is there anything I should know ahead of time?

Thanks in advance!

MusicMan SUB4
OLP MM2

Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II / RBH410 x2
Trace Elliot SMX Dual Compressor
Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus
ZVex Wooly Mammoth Fuzz
Quote by ManInPeril
Hey there UG,

I have a question regarding an upcoming purchase. I'm looking at upgrading my rig, and I have my eyes set on a GK 700RB-II 480w head with a GK Neo412 4x12 cabinet. However, I've never played through any 4x12 cabinet (I'm going to go to my local GC and see if they have one there, though.). I've owned 4x10's and 1x15s, but my favorite cab in the past was a friend's 2x12. Is there anything wrong with just running a 4ohm head through this 4ohm beast cabinet? Is there anything I should know ahead of time?

Thanks in advance!

There's nothing wrong with that at all, just don't throw a second cab in there or you'll damage your amp.
4x12 cabinets for bass are a relatively new thing; previously the only ones I've come across were old ones from Marshall and new ones from Mesa. 12" speakers for bass do seem to be catching on. I don't know if they deliver the best of both worlds - something between a 10" and a 15" sound, but more bassists are using them. As already stated, don't drop below a 4-ohm load or you will damage your amplifier.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
4x12 cabinets for bass are a relatively new thing; previously the only ones I've come across were old ones from Marshall and new ones from Mesa.

I'm pretty sure that those Marshall ones have been around for 20-30 years, so they're not that new. Although there has been a rise in them recently.
Quote by Ziphoblat
I'm pretty sure that those Marshall ones have been around for 20-30 years, so they're not that new. Although there has been a rise in them recently.
Marshall 4x12s were popular in the 60s when a 25 watt 12" was all you'd get.
The most power handling speaker for a few years in the 60s was the 50 watt 18" Goodmans Audiom 90.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Personally, I think 4x12 is way over kill. If you're really dead set on a 4x12, I think it would be better to buy two 2x12. It'll be easier to transport two smaller cabs, than one giant fridge.
Don't forget the Aguilar 4X12. Now that thing is a beast.

4X12s like that are way better than 8X10s as far as a design standpoint.
Bass is my life.
Quote by Ziphoblat

As I said, they are a relatively new phenomenon in bass amplification. The Marshall 4x12 bass cabinet is an old one for sure (as I remarked). I remember seeing them in the 1970s. They weren't popular even among bassists who could afford them. Lemmy of Motorhead is the only professional bassist I know of who uses one.

Mesa has been making a very good one for a while, but for the most part manufacturers avoided them because they were often bigger and heavier than a guitar 4x12. The advent of Neodymium speakers has made them more portable.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bass_Cabs/PowerhouseCABS/PHbass4x12-LG.htm

Of course, this looks no more portable than my 8x10 'fridge. Cool cabinet, though.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley