Hey there guys!
I'm looking for a really brutal metal bridge pickup for my Ibanez RG. I'm planning on a DiMarzio Air Norton for the neck.

The Rock Monkey SOB pickups is on my mind, since i really can't afford Lundgren or Bare Knuckle pickups. I don't want to go active either.
Now, why the Rock Monkey caught my eye (and ear) was the ridiculously high output and the fact that it was wound 26k. However, it is said to be amazingly versatile too.
Here is the extract on it from the Rock Monkey site:

"" $130 or £65 each

I designed this pickup with 1 goal in mind. I wanted the output of a beefbucker but with a more controlled treble and thicker midrange. What I ended up with was a pickup that was wound to 26K, used 2 sets of adjustable poles, and is possibly the most versatile pickup that I make.

I wanted this to be a pickup for the metal heads and I achieved that perfectly. It's tight clear tone can handle all the gain you can throw at it without getting muddy and when playing into some valve amps it'll push them beyond overdrive and into cutoff. This is useful because it means you can use your guitars volume knob as a gain control and eliminate the need for pedals.

What I didn't expect was for this pickup to have good clean tone. I can not describe how amazed I was when I turned the guitars volume down to 5 and the pickup cleaned up and gave me a rich, thick, clean tone that was clear as a bell and full of harmonic complexity which has made this pickup even more popular among jazz and blues players than it is for the metal players that I designed it for.

Because Neodymium is so strong, these pickups need to be adjusted much further from the strings than regular humbuckers which can be very handy for people that find their pickups getting in the way of their strumming. ""

Now, i play a lot of genres ranging from jazz, blues, neo-folk, shoegaze, post-rock to insanely brutal metal, progressive to technical, scooped mids to saggy distortion, Meshuggah to Yngwie to Megadeth to Beneath The Massacre.

Looking at the reasonably good price, do you guys think this pickups is right for me?

Thanks in advance.

LAST POINT: I WILL REPLACE MY MARSHALL MG SOON.
I'll be getting a Bugera 333XL in a couple of months, don't worry.
Let's just ignore the MG.
Carvin TL60
Ibanez RG370DXL
TheSyle Velcro Fuzz
Line 6 HD500
Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube

---------
Close your eyes, shut out the world, and you will understand. Post-rock/shoegaze/ambient.

Blue Skies and Paign

Like our facebook page!
Last edited by Ravenfaust at Sep 24, 2010,
It's really not going to matter much through a MG, if you're using what's in your sig that is. Want better tone? Get a better amp.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
It's really not going to matter much through a MG, if you're using what's in your sig that is. Want better tone? Get a better amp.

+9001

Still relevant, I'm getting a Silverback/Blackback combo from him soon.
Last edited by Seref at Sep 24, 2010,
Just saw your edit, The 333XL is a pretty versatile amp. You'd be best to wait until you actually get the amp and have a good idea of what you sound like through it and what (if anything) you want to change before you start thinking about pickup replacements.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I understand, but i've used my guitar with the stock pups on other people's amps and i still don't like the sound of them

Example, Fender 65's, Bogner Alchemist, Peavey 6505, JSX, Laneys.
Carvin TL60
Ibanez RG370DXL
TheSyle Velcro Fuzz
Line 6 HD500
Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube

---------
Close your eyes, shut out the world, and you will understand. Post-rock/shoegaze/ambient.

Blue Skies and Paign

Like our facebook page!
Last edited by Ravenfaust at Sep 24, 2010,
Quote by consecutive e

At 26k resistance it'll set that MG on fire.

But really, I would get this pickup, despite the stupidly high output, it's a good pickup, what he describes is pretty much how it sounds and acts. But it's still about the same price as BKP's? Anyways, what you have to look out for is volume differences between pickups, I promise you you will not find another pickup other than Rock Monkey that even comes close to 26k output, so you'll prolly end up with 2 if you want more than a bridge pickup.
Funnily enough the Beastbucker royally ****s up SS amps. Chris has blown up Peavey Envoy 110s with it.

And to anyone who says "lololol n3w 4mp first lololol", the Ibanez INF's sound extremely crap. But at that point: Have you used it through the 333XL?

Also Ethan that 26k is a measurement of resistance, not output.There's just a ****load of wire around those bobbins.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Sep 24, 2010,
Quote by oneblackened
Funnily enough the Beastbucker royally ****s up SS amps. Chris has blown up Peavey Envoy 110s with it.

Lol, a friend of mine had the original MG, and I installed a EMG AXL bridge pickup in his V, shortly after he said the amp started to smoke so he kicked it over in an epic rampage.
Quote by oneblackened

And to anyone who says "lololol n3w 4mp first lololol", the Ibanez INF's sound extremely crap. But at that point: Have you used it through the 333XL?

Also Ethan that 26k is a measurement of resistance, not output.There's just a ****load of wire around those bobbins.

I've used it through a Peavey JSX, what the 333XL is supposed to be a copy of.
Carvin TL60
Ibanez RG370DXL
TheSyle Velcro Fuzz
Line 6 HD500
Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube

---------

Blue Skies and Paign

Like our facebook page!
Quote by ethan_hanus
At 26k resistance it'll set that MG on fire.

But really, I would get this pickup, despite the stupidly high output, it's a good pickup, what he describes is pretty much how it sounds and acts. But it's still about the same price as BKP's? Anyways, what you have to look out for is volume differences between pickups, I promise you you will not find another pickup other than Rock Monkey that even comes close to 26k output, so you'll prolly end up with 2 if you want more than a bridge pickup.

Thanks a lot about the info about volume differences, i'll have to find another neck pickup, i see!

And the Rock Monkey SOB costs £65 each and the BKP Nailbomb costs £100 each.
Carvin TL60
Ibanez RG370DXL
TheSyle Velcro Fuzz
Line 6 HD500
Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube

---------

Blue Skies and Paign

Like our facebook page!
I just saw the air norton stuff...ya you won't want to pair that with an air norton. There will be a huge volume difference....not even mentioning the fact that your bridge will sound really good and your neck will sound really really bad in comparison. Why do you need to find a different brand's neck? Just tell Chris to wind a neck for you.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I guess i will. But can i be sure the pickups are as VERSATILE as the manufacturer claims?
I don't doubt how brutal they are, though. :P
Carvin TL60
Ibanez RG370DXL
TheSyle Velcro Fuzz
Line 6 HD500
Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube

---------

Blue Skies and Paign

Like our facebook page!
You could just PM him

CorduroyEW - usually found in GB&C but occasionally in here too.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
You could just PM him

CorduroyEW - usually found in GB&C but occasionally in here too.

Yep, mention you're a UG member and you get a 10% discount too

At least, that's how it was the last time I checked.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Ravenfaust
Thanks a lot about the info about volume differences, i'll have to find another neck pickup, i see!

And the Rock Monkey SOB costs £65 each and the BKP Nailbomb costs £100 each.

Oh, maybe I was looking at the price for a set. My bad.
Quote by oneblackened
Yep, mention you're a UG member and you get a 10% discount too

At least, that's how it was the last time I checked.

I don't know if he still does that. When I asked for a quote I got the price as advertised on his website, no discount.

Still worth it imo, though. He spends his days helping people in GB&C and he knows his shit, plus he's a cool guy. After he suggested set of Rock Monkeys for me based on a list of bands I stylize after, he even told me what BKPs would be best for me in case I want to buy BKPs. That shows caring about the customer.