Page 1 of 2
This thread is probably doomed to fail, but i've wondered if anyone else does this.

Okay, so basically, have you ever just looked at the cd, and thought that the band name seemed cool, or the artwork was cool, or basically just bought an album based on no knowledge of how they sound?

I'll give an example: I bought Puzzle by Biffy Clyro because I saw a clip of one of thier video's (didn't hear it) and because i thought the artwork was interesting. I bought Swoon by Silversun Pickups because I saw them mentioned on UG a few times, and they have got good reviews.

I mena, both were pretty cheapand on sale, but as I like pretty much everything but crunk and opera, but every time I do this, even though I don't know the band, I am always impressed with what I hear.

So Pit, have you ever done anything similar?
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
How do I bought music?

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
I have bought second hand CD's on impulse cos they were cheap. The thing is, I bought CD's of artists I had heard about, but never listened to. I've never bought a completely obscure album by someone I'd never even heard of.

However, I did discover a lot of my favourite music by buying albums by famous bands that I never listened to. That's how I got into Ozzy, Megadeth, The Who, Iron Maiden and Jimi Hendrix.
I bought my first Children of Bodom album without ever hearing them before
Appreciating Metal since 1998

R.I.P - Ronnie James Dio

1942-2010
I bought Merriweather Post Pavillion by Animal Collective, never had heard the band, but merely because the album art is amazing and crazy8rgood kept posting in the pit about how good it is. Animal Collective is easily one of my top 3 favorite bands of all time now
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
yes. like Spraydog, State of Samuel, and the Statistics.

I was looking through the S's that particular day, grabbed what was cheap and looking interesting.
gaslight anthem- the 59' sound

downloaded sink or swim the same day but brought it while it was still downloading so had no idea what they were like, just it had some good reviews

probably my favourite band now
I bought Peeping Tom's album just because my cousin said "Dude, check out this cover/packaging! Isn't it just amazing?"
So I bought it for that :/
I did, that's how I found Sentenced about 7 years ago.

I have really liked their music ever since and Sentenced is ultimately my favorite band.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

I bought Ihsahn's AngL because it had a sticker on it mentioning Mikael Åkerfeldt
I do this regularly with second hand vinyl trying to find some interesting samples, plus you end up listening to stuff you never would have found... probably some absoloute dead end records have probably never been converted to digital form.
Quote by Fucking loads of people who were appeasing me in order for me to write
blues_to_thrash, you are the master of epic lulz

My Music

2K11
Rilo Kiley - Under The Blacklight never even heard of this band before but it was on sale for £2 so I bought it and it was the second best buy I have ever made, ever.

Florence + The Machine - Lungs heard you got the love and though it was al right so I decided to get the album for the hell of it. This was the best buy of my life, just over a year later and I'm still listening to it all the god damn time.
A painter paints pictures on canvas.
But musicians paint their pictures on silence.
Quote by Sant_iago_9
Illegal downloads FTW, amirite?

No.
OT: Yes, Bullet In A Bible by Green Day. It was the best musical decision of my life since liking Green Day got me into all the bands I listen to today.

Bought an Annotations Of An Autopsy CD with out ever hearing of them before. That shit cost me £15. Luckily I liked it when I listened to when I got home.

I also bought Megadeth's greatest hits with out hearing any of their music before hand, but that only cost me £3.
I brought Nocturne by The Human Abstract because I loved William Blake's poem and the genre of music.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
My dad had a friend who would go through record shops and just buy albums with cool cover art. You get a lot of clunkers, but you get a lot of amazing.

I bought Rust In Peace from Megadeth because the cover looked cool. Love at first... listen?

It's also how I got into The Knife. I bought Silent Shout because I liked the name, found out a few months later my friend loved The Knife.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Quote by robhc
Bought an Annotations Of An Autopsy CD with out ever hearing of them before. That shit cost me £15. Luckily I liked it when I listened to when I got home.

I also bought Megadeth's greatest hits with out hearing any of their music before hand, but that only cost me £3.

yeah, ive noticed that smaller metal bands charge a lot for cd's , theres a place in london that does underground stuff and rare vinyls of stuff liek CoB and other metal shizz, and the underground cd's are 1 - 20 quid each

and am i the only one who thinks the pricings should have gone more like this for those 2 albums? Megadeth = £15, AoaA = £3 (i do like AoaA, but megadeth are better imo)

Quote by Todd Hart
I brought Nocturne by The Human Abstract because I loved William Blake's poem and the genre of music.

I want to have sex with you
ha-haaa
Last edited by Banjocal at Sep 24, 2010,
I bought Horizons by Parkway Drive after hearing half of a guitar cover of...I think it was Boneyards on youtube. It's actually a pretty good album from a band which seems to fit the same bill as every other metalcore band these days.
I bought Sebadoh's third album without having heard of them because the label said that the bassist from Dinosaur Jr. was in them. Damned good decision.

More recently I bought this: http://www.amazon.com/Symbols-Noxious-Emotion/dp/B00000JXUE because I liked the cover (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_DAt6kcN-YqE/SmzCsRHm4cI/AAAAAAAAAmA/U905dFuZZWM/s320/noxious_emotion_symbols.jpg). It's pretty weird shit, but it's also pretty good.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
I have to ask...

Have you ever bought an album?

I mean, like, an actual piece of vinyl? Just curious.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by Bubonic Chronic
I have to ask...

I have a turntable and over 200 vinyls from handed down records and bought stuff. Vinyl > Cd's.
ha-haaa
Quote by Banjocal
I want to have sex with you

Anything for you my friend.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
I used to buy albums based on recomendations from Kerrang/my friends before I had the internet. Got into a few good bands that way.
NO ONE EVER READS MY POSTS.
I got an Ohio Players album without knowing who they were. Good purchase.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by Gerard_xD
No.
OT: Yes, Bullet In A Bible by Green Day. It was the best musical decision of my life since liking Green Day got me into all the bands I listen to today.

I actually buy music, but with music-hating parents as mine and my current inability to make money (schedule problems mostly), I can't buy much music, so I download most of the stuff I listen too. If I fall in love with an album I'll buy it, if its just like 3 songs, I won't bother.
Sadly not yet.

Every time I have money to buy music, it's never enough, and never enough often, for me to make risky decisions like that. If I don't like it, I can't exactly return it, depending on where I buy it.

I usually just buy stuff from bands I know of, or at least have heard good things about.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
I have to ask...

Yep my pride and Joy Motorhead - On Parole album!
No, I don't have that kind of money to throw away. It would have to be ridiculously cheap for me to buy it without knowing and liking it beforehand.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Yeah some local ska-punk band CD in Leeds. Liked the cover and it was only a few quid

EDIT: Skank Agenda is their name
http://www.myspace.com/skankagenda

If you like that kinda stuff check them out, not bad at all
Super Leeds and Classy Cas!
Last edited by GreenDayChris at Sep 24, 2010,
There is one vinyl I know of at the local FYE that I want bad, and I have no idea what it is.

I think it IS a relatively well known album, but all the album has on it is this crazy psychedelic cosmic image. No band name, no track listing, no album name, not even anything on the little spine, since it's a double album.

All I know is that it looks to be about 25+ years old. I want it badly, and I don't know why.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by fallenangel20
There is one vinyl I know of at the local FYE that I want bad, and I have no idea what it is.

I think it IS a relatively well known album, but all the album has on it is this crazy psychedelic cosmic image. No band name, no track listing, no album name, not even anything on the little spine, since it's a double album.

All I know is that it looks to be about 25+ years old. I want it badly, and I don't know why.

I did this with a vinyl (i collect them...i dunno why, but I LOVE vinyls ) at a store because it had the artwork of a guy called Dan Mumford (hes done artwork for Gallows, Evil Nine, The Devil Wears Prada, Miss May I etc.) and I bought it. Despite his works normally being for metal bands, it was actually a techno group haha.

this is his stuff :
ha-haaa
Page 1 of 2