Page 1 of 2
It's always a problem for me when someone asked me to play something. Even when i play a complex solo, they didn't seem to impress but if i play some chords and sing, they always asked me to teach. I could use some help here, what do you play to impress your audience?
simpletons (non-musicians) wanna hear pop songs and sing-alongs. thats it and thats all.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Depends on the asker. If it's a girl like I'm on a date or something then something fingerpicked like Tommy Emanuel or simple punk pop like Blink-182. Casual friends or big groups I play stuff everyone can sing along to; Wish You Were Here, Hey There Delilah or something that fits the 'scene'. If it's a more metal minded friend then maybe The Human Abstract or Buckethead.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Last edited by Todd Hart at Sep 24, 2010,
Quote by Gerard_xD
If someone asks me to play, I forget every song I know.

This. I could be all amped up (no pun intended) and have this amazing setlist to jam to in my head, then someone asks me to play for them and I have trouble figuring out what to play. I usually just play some random scale real fast to sound show-offy while I think about it.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
I open my mouth very wide, drool a little and go GUUUHHHH

Then strum wildly whilst scratching my balls with my fretting hand.
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Most of my friends I'm always around play music too. So we just jam together. Haven't done that in a long time though. Not since my friend took down her drum kit.
Quote by Gerard_xD
If someone asks me to play, I forget every song I know.

This all the time and every time.
Quote by Survivalism
The Dual Rectifier is my sexy finishing move.

Quote by Survivalism
Nobody knows the words to Evenflow, they all just go "bramamamamamamamamaamamamabooowwllofcornflakes"
Quote by padgea7x
I open my mouth very wide, drool a little and go GUUUHHHH

Then strum wildly whilst scratching my balls with my fretting hand.

That my friend is called a breakdown.
Quote by Todd Hart
That my friend is called a breakdown.

What? How did you know it was the breakdown part of any Slipknot song?

Quote by padgea7x
What? How did you know it was the breakdown part of any Slipknot song?

Oh it was Slipknot? I just thought it was any generic metalcore band.
Seriously, I have had the problem of not being able to play stuff on demand for years because I pretty much only play in Drop C or B.

But learn Dani California by the Rd Hot Chilli Peppers and I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor by Arctic Monkeys. They work perfectly, are fairly easy and you can play them without warming up.

Edit: You could turn the Arctic Monleys song into a cheesy pick up line as well if your playing to a girl
Last edited by Lr-Mtb at Sep 24, 2010,
Quote by Todd Hart
Oh it was Slipknot? I just thought it was any generic metalcore band.

Slipknot aren't generic!

I play John Cage's 4 minutes 33. Needless to say, people are drooling, with what I believe is admiration.
I don't really just play guitar in front of my friends for no reason.

If someone asked me to just "play guitar" I'd probably just play some little finger picked folky thing.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
I just improv a little.

A few chords, some fingerstyle. Build to a crescendo, then move into some blues licks.

Perhaps a little counterpoint.

nothing wanky. Just play something that might be enjoyable to listen to.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

My friends don't know anything about music so I'll start just by ripping a solo of some kind in E and just end it on an E power chord lol sometimes it's too easy!
Then I usually will do Melissa by the Allman Brothers, That Smell by Skynard or Hotel Yorba or something easy just cause I have them mastered for my friends band. If acoustic then Hey There Delilah, No Particular Place to Go, Or Death Letter.
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
if its a Girl, it depends how what they like. As I generally ask what music they like to get an idea what to talk about.

if its a guy, or a musician its Mea Culpa, unless asked otherwise.
You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!
Hysteria! Lovely lovely bass. If im playing guitar its an abridged version of Blood And Thunder.
DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING
and
CAREFUL NOW

No man needs a holiday more than the man who has just had one.
"Hey man, Play something."

WHIPLASH!

J/k i'd just play whatever. Maybe some Lamb of god like "hourglass". Or even "aerials" By SOAD.

Or just throw on my cool face and strum along to stairway...
Quote by Sinister Waffle
if its a Girl, it depends how what they like. As I generally ask what music they like to get an idea what to talk about.

if its a guy, or a musician its Mea Culpa, unless asked otherwise.

By The Human Abstract? If so good man, that's what I play, or Polaris. Polaris is great because it's piss easy once you get pinches down and it sound great.
Covers = inexperienced show-off

Improv = you've actually developed your own voice as a musician

I'm just saying that's the message it sends. I hear a cover, even if it's like COB or something, and I am not impressed.

Sing over two chords and make me believe and you have my horns of approval.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by Todd Hart
By The Human Abstract? If so good man, that's what I play, or Polaris. Polaris is great because it's piss easy once you get pinches down and it sound great.

That it is.
You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!
Quote by Bubonic Chronic

I'm just saying that's the message it sends. I hear a cover, even if it's like COB or something, and I am not impressed.

But people can't sing along to covers, which is generally what I go for if I'm in a social event and asked (it makes my skin crawl just talking about it *shudder*). I agree simple improvisation is much more impressive in my eyes than flailing at the strings at 210bpm in a cover of some obscure metal band. However, most people want to hear a song they like. I do improvise if I'm around closer friends or a partner, that's typically where I do my best improv.

Quote by Sinister Waffle
That it is.

Awesome, I love that song.
Quote by Bubonic Chronic

Unbiased opinion there.

At least if I play a cover, I get it right straight away. I could improvise a riff or melody but it would take some time to figure it out and get it to sound right. During that time, people will think that I don't know what I'm doing.

No-one I've ever played guitar in front of really cares about developing a unique voice. They just want to hear music, and if it's something they recognise, that's even better.

Just sayin'.
Easy songs that they know maybe a few scales alot of improv if I forget something
I usually just jam out, inevitably leading to them getting bored. At which point you pump out something recognizable, drive by incubus or ramble on recently.
i just improvise or make a medley of some of my favorite riffs at the time. or ill just pick a key and time then just go for it.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
Quote by Zolom
Hysteria! Lovely lovely bass. If im playing guitar its an abridged version of Blood And Thunder.

THIS! Gets them every time
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Pride and Joy by SRV. Everyone loves that.
R.I.P Jon Lord, Rory Gallagher and Jimi!
Depending on the mood & company. Covers 99% of the time. Green Day, Beatles, Metallica, Stairway, etc etc. Something that's playable with acoustic and can be recognized easily.

If all else fails, Knocking on Heaven's Door or Wonderwall save the day
Quote by RoamingConflict
This one dream involved me, one random girl, midgets and a pie.

...and midgets ended up f*cking her. I got the pie.

Usually, I improv-shred (I can play decently fast.)

Otherwise, I play Painkiller, Crystal Mountain, Holy Wars, Freight Train, or some riffs that I wrote.
if im jamming with some friends definitely improving or doing a complex cover.
if someone asks me to play something out of the blue i always go with hit me baby one more time. it always works, ESPECIALLY with chicks.
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
Youll eventually get raped, but I wouldnt mind a compliment on my penis, a penis compliment is the best kind of compliment.

Quote by moscaespañol
Nice sig by the way.
I just fall back on the first (and one of the few) songs i ever learned to play, Plug-in Baby by Muse
Appreciating Metal since 1998

R.I.P - Ronnie James Dio

1942-2010
Page 1 of 2