i was thinking of buying the Keeley ds1 for my first distortion pedal its supposed to be very
versatile anyone know about Keeley's stuff ?
Keeley is an amazing guy who does outstanding work. I can guarantee nothing you buy from him will be bad or sound like crap.

That said, even Keeley can't make the DS1 sound GREAT, and there are other better pedals in that price range, so if I were you I'd probably look at something else entirely.
I personally own the DS-1 keeley mod.

Don't expect it to be the single greatest thing in the world; at it's core it is still a DS-1

It is a great improvement, and if you want a basic and raw distortion then it's an incredible addition.

Overall, though, I recommend Keeley products of absolutely any sort.
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
You can do a lot better for the price in most cases.

What gear are you using now, and what do you want to get out of the pedal?
im using a fender hr deluxe tube amp fender strat with a duncan sh14 humbucker in the bridge
wanting to get acdc, zztop type distortion
Last edited by notos at Aug 13, 2011,
can't speak to the Keeley DS-1...but i do own the Keeley Blues Driver. it's awesome for what i need it for. Keeley does awesome work. but be sure to check out any suggestions you get from UGers here before you jump on the DS-1
Main Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster and Stratocaster
Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr. NR, Vintage Fender Twin Reverb (early SF)
Effects from Wampler, Keeley, and others

Session Guitarist out of Pittsburgh
Check out the fulltone ocd as well if you're in that price range.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
The Classic 30 has more than enough gain on its own for those styles. What you're probably looking for is an overdrive in the Fulltone OCD or Catalinbread DLS vein.
Quote by blkdtr
Keeley Blues Driver. it's awesome for what i need it for.

i was checking the price on that one too.

ill check these other guys fulltone and ocd .

Quote by forsaknazrael
Can't do those styles of music already? The SH-14 is perfect for that!

it does alright just not hitting it yet.
Last edited by notos at Sep 24, 2010,
the gain (preamp gain no attenuator) on my amp don't seem saturated enough ive
done a-lot of reading on this stuff .

im thinking a pedal is the best way to go for more gain and the Keeley ds1 would have more than enough for other styles as well and be quality sound. and in the ad on his website he recommends these bands for this pedal (Marshall sound).

thought i would ask the forum first though for other suggestions.
yep, i think an overdrive would be what you need. like i mentioned, i love my Keeley Blues Driver, and I play ZZ-type stuff with it with great results. but i would definitely check out the OCD for sure...that may get you closer to the sound you're after
Main Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster and Stratocaster
Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr. NR, Vintage Fender Twin Reverb (early SF)
Effects from Wampler, Keeley, and others

Session Guitarist out of Pittsburgh
Seems to me like (1) you're not pushing your power amp hard enough, and (2) you want saturation out of it that it just wasn't designed to give you.

an OD pedal seems like a winner for you, not a distortion. Distortion is just an algorythm that manipulates your signal, whereas an overdrive (through various means depending on the pedal) amplifies your signal so that it hits your amp harder. they're good for getting more out of your amp without drastically changing your tone in most cases, make sense?

+1 to the OCD, a very nice OD well worth the $, and +1 to the DLS, which has a little more going on under the hood if you need even MORE drive.
+10 to anything Keeley, but for your needs maybe check out his tubescreamer mods?
^^^^ thx for all the reply's there very appreciated .

Quote by GrisKy
Seems to me like (1) you're not pushing your power amp hard enough, and (2) you want saturation out of it that it just wasn't designed to give you.

^^ no, i don't saturate the power tubes i don't have an attenuator, it would be to loud for me (lol)

it has a 2 stage preamp switch that lets me saturate the preamp tubes, but it just doesn't sound that great to me .