View Here

NOTE: I'm on a "this is gonna be my birthday/Christmas present budget", so don't bust me up and tell me to get something crazy expensive.

Alright, so I've been playing for years now, and I'll I've had is this hunk of shit 10 watt practice amp, so I'm ready to upgrade. I've had this pre-conceived notion that the only half stacks that were worth buying were way expensive but I found this one and it seems legit, my question: is it?

I'm looking for a piercing metal tone, like Dime. And yeah, I know that he had alot of other shit to get his sound the way it was, but I'd like a similar sound. I can get a distortion pedal no problem, so if it can't handle that then I got the rest covered (speaking on pedals, only). I don't have my heart totally set on this, so if you know of something any better, then feel free to let me know. My budget is a firm 550, maybe, just maybe 6.

Hell, it doesn't even have to be a half stack, I can do a combo. I just want some crushing distortion. I'm not even too crazy about low end.

Anything in that price range is gonna be miles above what I have now.
^ Hsdchfhgg *reported*

Quote by HunterTN
View Here

NOTE: I'm on a "this is gonna be my birthday/Christmas present budget", so don't bust me up and tell me to get something crazy expensive.

Alright, so I've been playing for years now, and I'll I've had is this hunk of shit 10 watt practice amp, so I'm ready to upgrade. I've had this pre-conceived notion that the only half stacks that were worth buying were way expensive but I found this one and it seems legit, my question: is it?

I'm looking for a piercing metal tone, like Dime. And yeah, I know that he had alot of other shit to get his sound the way it was, but I'd like a similar sound. I can get a distortion pedal no problem, so if it can't handle that then I got the rest covered (speaking on pedals, only). I don't have my heart totally set on this, so if you know of something any better, then feel free to let me know. My budget is a firm 550, maybe, just maybe 6.

Hell, it doesn't even have to be a half stack, I can do a combo. I just want some crushing distortion. I'm not even too crazy about low end.

Anything in that price range is gonna be miles above what I have now.

That amp has a very specific niche from what I'm told. You may love it. I've never played one. Let's just say it is not what I would buy - but may be perfect for what you are looking at. Also look at a used Ampeg VH140 combo or head. Brutal.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 25, 2010,
Those things are fizzy and muddy as crap. Go for a 6505+ combo for $100 more, I think you'll be much more satisfied with it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i played one...it's pretty "meh." not randall's best SS head. look for a rh150 if you're set on randall.

+1 to the ampeg, i'm saving up for one.
Member of The 7 String Legion

Peavey Triple X Head
Mahieu 4x12 Cab (celestion g12t-75)
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Various Pedals, and Guitars.
if you are set on randall i agree with natehimself go with the RH series. i have the rh300 and it is delicious. i love it. also take a look at the following

peavey 6505+
used peavey valveking combo
if you want to go hybrid and risk some scrutiny from UG try out a peavey vyper tube 60

the best solution i think is to save up about 200 extra bux and then see what will be offered to you.
craigslist.org isnt a bad idea either
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Quote by iheartgun
if you are set on randall i agree with natehimself go with the RH series. i have the rh300 and it is delicious. i love it. also take a look at the following

peavey 6505+
used peavey valveking combo
if you want to go hybrid and risk some scrutiny from UG try out a peavey vyper tube 60

the best solution i think is to save up about 200 extra bux and then see what will be offered to you.
craigslist.org isnt a bad idea either

Um, dude, we LIKE the Vypyr. It's probably the most recommended modeler on the forum.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.