Ok,
so, i kind of want to put this to rest and see what might work better.

My question is what to practice more of in sessions (and maybe yours )

Work on songs to get better at a tech...or just practice that tech right out?

I dont need to add theory to my practice (right now ), im in Music theory III at the college level so i get alot of theory (and aural skills too ) and apply it when im writing/playing guitar/piano

How i usually practice is about 2 hours of tech wise, and 1 and half hours of Tunes. and there is a break every hour of practice usually 15 minutes.
But i sometimes (not all the time) get bored of just runing through inversions of traids, 7th chords, working on scales etc. Not saying that work hard, to try to keep everything smooth, and on time.

But, im wondering is should i create studies (or practice songs that have a certain tech songs) to work on, lets say sweeping picking/arpg., or hammer-on/pull offs

or should i just practice with the metronome at a slow tempo and increase from there, basically what i have been doing.

which one would be more value to my playing?

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
Last edited by maximumrocker at Sep 24, 2010,
I do a stretch like this everytime i pick up the guitar before play. i'm only tabbing the first part as an example

with 1st and 2nd fingers
e--------------------------1-2---2-1---------------------------------------------------1-3-------
B---------------------1-2-------------2-1-----------------------------------------1-3------------
G----------------1-2-----------------------2-1-------------------------------1-3-----------------
D-----------1-2---------------------------------2-1---------------------1-3----------------------
A------1-2-------------------------------------------2-1-----------1-3---------------------------
E-1-2-----------------------------------------------------2-1-1-3--------------------------------

do this until you can run through it without making a mistake. Accuracy is more important than speed, make sure you sound every noter as celarly as possible.

then, rotate through your fingers. 1st and 3rd fingers going from the 1st to the 3rd/4th frets, 1st and 4th fingers from the 1st and 4th/5th. you can switch them up, too, like using your 2nd and 3rd fingers for the first portion.

this excerciese help losen up your hand and to get it used to big stretches.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by maximumrocker
Ok,
so, i kind of want to put this to rest and see what might work better.

My question is what to practice more of in sessions (and maybe yours )

Work on songs to get better at a tech...or just practice that tech right out?

I dont need to add theory to my practice (right now ), im in Music theory III at the college level so i get alot of theory (and aural skills too ) and apply it when im writing/playing guitar/piano

How i usually practice is about 2 hours of tech wise, and 1 and half hours of Tunes. and there is a break every hour of practice usually 15 minutes.
But i sometimes (not all the time) get bored of just runing through inversions of traids, 7th chords, working on scales etc. Not saying that work hard, to try to keep everything smooth, and on time.

But, im wondering is should i create studies (or practice songs that have a certain tech songs) to work on, lets say sweeping picking/arpg., or hammer-on/pull offs

or should i just practice with the metronome at a slow tempo and increase from there, basically what i have been doing.

which one would be more value to my playing?

I don't understand?

You should just pick a song you can ALMOST play. By like 20bpm off. Then find the tab's for the quick stuff, and just practice it until you can play quick.

Hope that's what you wanted,

Cause it didn't really make sense.

EDIT: The second highlight bit contradicts itself. You will practice them whatever you choose, so it's kind of a pointless question... The only situation i can think of you would need to choose song over outright practising is changing from chords to notes.. which is basic.

Basically,

Just keep doing what your doing.
Gear:

Ibanez RG350M
Peavey 6505+112

Boss CS-1
EHX Big Muff Pi
EHX Small Clone
KORG Pitchblack
Last edited by Dannnn_xD at Sep 24, 2010,
I have various backing tracks of songs that use many techniques that I am weaker at and practice them because it's more fun than exercises. Vai songs, Satch etc and I improvise a lot trying to stay with the same style/sound. This is well over 1/2 my practice time.
I would say that you should cut down on how much technical stuff your practice and work more on real songs... this will help you get more phrases to pull out when you are realy playing. I usually work on techniques as a warm up, maybe an hour or so, then I just prctice songs. some times I'll write a song and practice that other times I'll practice a song I heard on the radio, or my i pod...

It's usually a good idea to learn new songs since it helps develop new phrases, or maybe a chord progression that you haven't thought of... also it's good to learn a variety of songs, from different genres. this really helps when writing since sometimes you can bring two or three genres together. I litterally have a list of genres where i practice and make sure i learn a song or two from each of them before repeating any of them. my list at home goes like this:

Metal
Classic Rock
Pop Rock
Punk
Nu Metal

I mean you can try any combination of genres, but just learn new songs, it will help when writing songs much more than only techniques, not to mention it will help you to see more aplications of techniques(which can be way more crucial to song writing than learning how to do the technique faster than anyone else)....