hey i have a Dean Dime-O-Flage (R.I.P.) and i am trying to get my action lower. i lowerwed my bridge (tune-o-matic) flat but my strings are still a hell of a lot higher than i am going for...i played the Kirk Hammett Ouija at Guitar Center and fell in love with the string height...it was probably as low as possible without any fret buzz, and thats the way i want my dime-O-Flage to be, on account of i am starting to get more into soloing and faster playing. I still wanna be able to play rythym though(Metallica - Metallica Album mainly right now)I looked at my neck, and it does bow in, the deepest part being at about the ninth fret ( i have 22).. will i need to adjust my truss rod and how do i do it? id rather not pay Guitar Center $35 to do it if theres a possibility that I can do it myself and not **** anything up as this is my most prized possession...if I was burning in a house, id throw my Dean out the window before I even thought about getting out...Thank you...
Neck Relief:
Adjusting your neck
This is not action adjustment. That's done at the bridge.
A neck adjustment usually helps when a bridge adjustment can't get the the job done like: strings not low enough, or if you have fretbuzz that doesn't go away.

Please do not turn your truss rod without posting first. But here's a good way to see if you might need a neck adjustment.

with a balanced bridge...
fret the Low E on the first fret.
then - at the same time,
fret the Low E on the last fret, where the neck and body meet. ~19th fret.

with both places held, look at the middle frets, 7-9th

If the string lays on the fret wire there, you probably do not have enough neck bend.
If the string is more than a credit cards thickness up from the wire there, you probably have too much.

ideally, see if a thin-medium pick fits in the middle gap.

check that, and post back.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
yeah, man theres probably 2 credit cards thickness there....like i said its pretty bowed....im lookin to get pretty much the same thickness all the way down my fretboard...that way while playing rythym i can switch power chords more cleanly and also make my soloing faster and more efficient...ive adjusted the truss rod on my Ibanez EX before, but that neck was cracked at the tuner locks anyways, this ones just fine so i figured id come find out more about it before i go tearing into it..thanks.
Quote by DimeOFlage420
yeah, man theres probably 2 credit cards thickness there....like i said its pretty bowed....im lookin to get pretty much the same thickness all the way down my fretboard...that way while playing rythym i can switch power chords more cleanly and also make my soloing faster and more efficient...ive adjusted the truss rod on my Ibanez EX before, but that neck was cracked at the tuner locks anyways, this ones just fine so i figured id come find out more about it before i go tearing into it..thanks.

ok, if you have THAT much bow, wow, you should definitely lessen it and see if the guitar becomes more playable.

the way to do that is to turn the truss rod 1/4 turn CLOCKWISE.

don't force the turn and you might find the turn easier with the strings slightly detuned.

after the small adjustment, tune up the guitar and let it settle in tune.

measure it again later, and let me know if it's easier to play.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

I'd go .010". If it's still 2 high then you can (carefully) file the bottom of your tunamatic where it sits on the posts. Recheck the neck relief after a few days.
Quote by kenfrazee@gmail
I'd go .010". If it's still 2 high then you can (carefully) file the bottom of your tunamatic where it sits on the posts. Recheck the neck relief after a few days.

no no.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

He said he was bottomed out on the bridge. Ain't rocket science to lower one further.
BTW Erlewine recommends 10 thou neck relief. Tried it and it works best for me on all my guits.