Page 1 of 2
Music Radar recently put out a public poll for "The Best Bassist of All Time", with a massive 42 percent of the votes John Myung was number one, followed by Geddy Lee, Paul Gray and Steve Harris.

"Best bassist of all time" is a bit a silly title and it's quite arrogant to call one bassest the best, but personaly it's nice to see him in the limelight over the golden oldies for once, so well done to him.

Edit: The Article
Last edited by seanms at Sep 26, 2010,
...Paul Gray at #3?

Sympathy vote, anyone? The guy was good, but not that good.

Also...Dan Briggs destroys Myung...into the ground.
There are many bassists better than those guys..
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

bullshit.

hes good, but there are better. also, the best bassist of all time will never exist, for obvious reasons; for every "best" player, there is always a better one.

imo, the best bassist that i have heard is Paul Chambers - John Coltranes bassist.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Very true. I'd have Myung and Lee in the Top 10 but nowhere close to #1. Paul Gray was alright but shouldn't have busted the top 200. Mark King is cool but shouldn't be in the list. Jaco should have been first. Bootsy and Victor Wooten ranked waaaaaayyyy too low. Alex Webster, Steve DiGiorgio and Jeroen Paul Thesseling are nowhere in it! And who the **** is Carol Kaye?!
Meh, I personally dont agree with it. Paul Gray was a cool guy, but as a bassist, nowhere near what I think of as "omg that guys sick".
pinga
Quote by shmbluh12
Oh who cares. All those top lists are just popularity votes.

this.

idk, when i was a noob, i thought that a bassist was someone who was racist towards fish
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by shmbluh12

This. Paul Grey pretty much proves that point.

John Myung as the "best" bassist of all time is pure laughable.

It's subjective anyway.
Quote by Banjocal
this.

idk, when i was a noob, i thought that a bassist was someone who was racist towards fish

Oh my god. Sigged man, sigged.
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
Oh my god. Sigged man, sigged.

multi smiley stack as a thank you =D
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by shmbluh12

This again.

There's no way to judge is X bassist is better than Y bassist, there's just too many things to take into account. The only real criteria you could use is popularity. Then take into account anyone who doesn't know their salt about how to judge "good" bass playing (which is completely subjective anyway) who voted for the bassist of their favorite band, and you get one massive popularity contest.
/rant
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Banjocal

This may be the greatest thing I've ever read on UG.

Those damn fish stealing our jobs...They smell bad, too, and can't even speak English.

EDIT: OT, ^ is exactly right. And even if you could set definite, objectively measurable criteria for what "good" means there's still a certain point where it's pointless even trying to decide who's best.
Quote by MightyAl
Back in my day, the teacher had to come to my tribe's village and inspect my cave-paintings in person.
For some reason, he thought the bison I painted was his mother, and gave me an F.

It wasn't my fault they look so similar.
Last edited by TheBadPlace at Sep 24, 2010,
Quote by goest

Also...Dan Briggs destroys Myung...into the ground.

Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
in other news, there are still maybe 5 people who can hear him on the records.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
John Myung is great, but there are many better bassists.

I'm pretty sure there are jazz bassists who are much more talented and musically advanced than Myung.
Last edited by TMF128 at Sep 24, 2010,
Quote by TMF128

jeff hughell.
paul chambers.
imo

Quote by TMF128

I'm pretty sure there are jazz bassists who are much more talented and musically advanced than Myung.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kotK9FNEYU also note the sax player is GOD!!!!!! but yeah, the bass in that.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Last edited by Banjocal at Sep 24, 2010,
Quote by TMF128
Thanks for showing me that, I really like it.

s'ok
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Maybe these people were some of the best bassists in a band setting (and with that being the case, they missed Claypool), but certainly not the best of all time. What about Jaco? Wooten? Adam Nitti? Classical upright bassists (they really are insane) that nobody's ever heard of? At least define the category.
Any links to the article? Plus 'top 100 X of all time' lists are pure bullshit anyway.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Geddy should have been first!

Even though I'm not a HUGE Rush fan, I think I agree with this. YYZ's bassline alone > any Myung bassline.
Dream Theater's basslines never really stood out to me. Probably as I was concentrating on the amazingness that is John Petrucci.

What about poor old Flea? He works might hard.
Quote by fleajr_1412
Any links to the article? Plus 'top 100 X of all time' lists are pure bullshit anyway.

Yeah i agree, not often that myung wins the bloody things though.

And i also forgot the article.
I don't place any real stock in these polls - a lot of the respondents aren't musicians; let alone bassists - but it is good to see John Myung get some recognition. Because he is flanked by uber-shredder John Petrucci and Keyboard wizard Jordan Rudess, he is often overlooked. The man can play, and he probably did more to put a six-string bass in the hands of aspiring rock bassists than anyone else. So good for him!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I'm gonna go ahead and say this, knowing that I'm gonna get flamed. Jaco =/= good. I have tried to listen to several examples of his work on multiple occasions, and have never managed to keep interested past the one-minute mark. He was boring. As far as the best bass player thing goes: JOHN ENTWHISTLE. That is all.
"We are, each of us, angels with but one wing, and only by embracing one another may we fly."- Luciano de Crescenzo

Makes you feel good inside, don't it?
Quote by Van The Darksyd
I'm gonna go ahead and say this, knowing that I'm gonna get flamed. Jaco =/= good. I have tried to listen to several examples of his work on multiple occasions, and have never managed to keep interested past the one-minute mark. He was boring. As far as the best bass player thing goes: JOHN ENTWHISTLE. That is all.

Clearly a taste issue (emphasis on the issue here).

Entwistle is great, but I seriously question anybody who's unable to appreciate Jaco.
Quote by Van The Darksyd
I have tried to listen to several examples of his work on multiple occasions, and have never managed to keep interested past the one-minute mark. He was boring.

Not a matter of opinion, that's just having a poor attention span.
Quote by Van The Darksyd

I think you just fried some of my brain cells.
pinga
The best bassist is yet to come... It will be a guy to be able to play with so many emotions that its gonna make us cry like little girls at the first note he plays!!!!!!
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Quote by Van The Darksyd

It's a matter of opinion. I'm not a huge Jaco fan by any means, but I appreciate him. It's not really a matter of how excellent he was, it's just how revolutionary the guy had been. He was doing things completely different to other bassists at the time, the bass guitar had never been thought of an upfront, soloing instrument. Bass playing has never been the same since Jaco came to the forefront.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Paul Grey at #3??? lolwut?

Never really liked Myung, but whatever, and with JPJ at #12 I am content.
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by Casketcreep
My only problem with this is that I have watched videos of Myung where he noticeably messes up his own compositions.

If that disqualifies someone from being a great musician, then there are no great musicians and there never have been. Everyone screws up their parts from time to time. It comes from being human.
Quote by obeythepenguin
Nice to see Carole Kaye gets some credit, but honestly, the best bassists* are the ones you'd never see on these lists -- Bill Wyman, John McVie, Mike Mills, Chris Hillman, John Lodge... they have some of the catchiest lines, but you never think twice about them, they blend so well with the song. They're good without ever having to show off. (Listen to this and tell me it needs just one more note. How often do you hear anyone talk about that bassline?)

* In rock, obviously, since that's all the people who make these lists ever listen to.

Some of my favorites. I'd also mention Mike Starr, maybe not the best but (IMO) he added a lot to a song without calling much attention to himself.
Quote by MightyAl
Back in my day, the teacher had to come to my tribe's village and inspect my cave-paintings in person.
For some reason, he thought the bison I painted was his mother, and gave me an F.

It wasn't my fault they look so similar.
Quote by obeythepenguin
So they order these by random number generator now? Well, at least it isn't another...rabid fanboyism. never mind.

Actually, it might be just that. The link to the results of the poll reports that of 11,000 people who cast votes, John Myung received some 42 (or was it 46) percent of the votes. The number two spot went to Geddy Lee with 11 percent of the votes. That's a hell of a skewed result; particularly when spread over twenty-five finalists.
Quote by MommasHooligan
Very true. I'd have Myung and Lee in the Top 10 but nowhere close to #1. Paul Gray was alright but shouldn't have busted the top 200. Mark King is cool but shouldn't be in the list. Jaco should have been first. Bootsy and Victor Wooten ranked waaaaaayyyy too low. Alex Webster, Steve DiGiorgio and Jeroen Paul Thesseling are nowhere in it! And who the **** is Carol Kaye?!

Carol Kaye (born March 24, 1935) is an American musician, best known as one of the most prolific and widely heard bass guitarists in history, playing on an estimated 10,000 recording sessions in a 55 year career.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Page 1 of 2