Hey everyone, I have been wanting to do a telecaster build for a while, but now I have finalised everything I need (with thanks to some great help from you guys) but now looking at it I'm not sure its worth the effort.

I wanted to build a completely black telecaster, but to do this how I want (I'm a bit of a perfectionist) I need:

- A Jim Root Telecaster in black
- The pickguard from the White Jim Root tele
- An ebony telecaster neck

It doesn't seem like much, but I'm going to need to get someone to paint the headstock and neck, and someone to fit it all together for me. I used to be really intent on still having Fender on the headstock, but I can't find anywhere that has them. The only model they did it on that I could use would be an Aerodyne tele, which is discontiued, and the only other companys that seem to be able to get hold of a Fender neck (Black /w white logo) is Manson.

Anyway back to the point, this is all going to add up in cost, and I wonder if I would be better of going to the Fender Custom shop to get it done? Since the specs would be pretty standard to the Jim Root one, just a different Headstock colour and neck really. Or am I better of sticking to the original plan?
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
I was actually thinking about doing something similar to this as well, except one geared more towards his white tele. So I would be interested in this as well.
how about instead of finding specific Jim Root parts, you just get normal tele parts. you could get a tele body build for you out of Mahogany, routed for top body controls, hardtail bridge, and humbuckers in the bridge and neck positions. Then if you painted them yourself you could save a ton of money. you could also have a neck built for you or maybe you would be able to find a Jim root Ebony neck on ebay. If you wanted to save money here you could also just buy a regular rosewood tele neck and die it black.
In the end, if you found parts built for what you want and painted them yourself you would save a ton of money but if you try to find actual Fender parts off of a signature guitar, you might as well just buy the complete guitar and tweak what you want. Custom shop models are expensive so be weary of that

Then again if money isnt an issue why dont you just buy the white Jim Root tele and have the body and neck refinished to a nice black.
Its more of a money vs work thing, I can't do any of this my self, but I know people who can help me build it. It would be a lot of work to get together the bits to build it myself, and since the jim root model has everything I want already I don't see any need of creating a lower quality instrument from scrath.

How much roughly would it cost to refinish the white version?

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
new news! i found some nice parts on ebay. There is a loaded body, black pickguards and even neck plates. buy those and all you need is an ebony neck. seems like the way to go at this point
http://instruments.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=jim+root&_sacat=20829&_dmpt=Guitar_Accessories&_odkw=jim+root+tele&_osacat=20829&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313
Last edited by jdrier21 at Sep 24, 2010,
my suggestion would be to try and find a mahogany tele body, buy a black pickguard, and find a neck with an ebony fretboard, i'm in the process of looking for a 70's style neck to put on my squier tele custom, just look on ebay, there are always some pretty good deals on there
Ben

GEAR:
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Deluxe
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote by housemd
nope.
Quote by jdrier21
new news! i found some nice parts on ebay. There is a loaded body, black pickguards and even neck plates. buy those and all you need is an ebony neck. seems like the way to go at this point
http://instruments.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=jim+root&_sacat=20829&_dmpt=Guitar_Accessories&_odkw=jim+root+tele&_osacat=20829&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Cheers man thats brilliant! I wish I didn't live in the UK right now haha, but he does ship internationally. I'd be very worried about it getting damaged over the distance though :S Oh problems haha. Thanks so much anyway.

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Quote by salgala2000
It's for pickup only (just incase you didn't notice)

Yeah I saw that, its only about a 25 minute drive away as well... very tempting, lol

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp