Doesn't matter. They sound the same. The construction on the Maxon is meh if you abuse the crap out of your pedals. I say skip both and go for a TS7. Same thing.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Doesn't matter. They sound the same. The construction on the Maxon is meh if you abuse the crap out of your pedals. I say skip both and go for a TS7. Same thing.

Why tell him to not get those (max+ts-9) because they sound the same, then say go for this(Ts-7) because it sounds the same as those...
Gear:

Ibanez RG350M
Peavey 6505+112

Boss CS-1
EHX Big Muff Pi
EHX Small Clone
KORG Pitchblack
What do you mean by more tone?
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
The playing is god awful in that video.

But yeah, a tubescreamer would be perfect for that.
I tried a Maxon one a little while ago, can't remember exactly what model, but it sounded great. But the Ibanez ones are just as good, inface they are exactly the same thing. I don't know how the quality compares though.

Just get the one that's easier to get or cheaper.

Also, 'more tone' dosn't really make sense, tone isn't a measurable substance. You should say 'this particular tone' or something, English lesson over.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Yeah, the Maxon OD808 and the Ibanez TubeScreamer TS808 are exactly the same circuit.

There may be a quality differnce between the two, but if there is, it'll only be slight.

So just go for whatever one you can pick up cheap. Look for some used ones.
The TS7 is a cheaper version, I believe it's in a plastic casing rather than a metal one?
But inside there, you'll find the same circuit, just a couple of resistors have different values, and so overall it'll sound abit different, but essentially, it does the same thing as all other Tubescreamers.
i thought the maxon od808 was the ibanez ts10... that's what it says here, anyway:

http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/mods/ts9.htm
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, if you know what you're doing with a soldering iron then you can easily turn it into an 808.
edit: ^very much +1

from what i understand, Maxon was the Japnese company that produced tubescreamers for Ibanez til the ~mid 80's? i didn't double check that, but i think i remember modding TS-9's that still had Maxon etched on the board.

once people started going crazy over those original TS-808's with the JEC4558 chips (maybe JRC, damn my memory sux now) Maxon started remaking ibanez designs that cost twice as much as original. the 4558 chip isn't even that hot, i wanna do the Pepsi challenge with that chip and a hifi chip as most people say hifi chips are a def upgrade to the 4558.

matt, dave?- you guys even know if maxon uses the the chase parts like 4558's in their designs? either way, i wouldn't blow the cash on a Maxon, the just seem way to expensive for what your getting.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Oh, I didn't even realise that the Maxons were more money.
last i checked, it seemed like they had quite a more hefty price tag, lets double check.

ibanez
TS-9 - 99 usd
TS-808 - 179 usd!

wtf

maxon
OD808 - 147 usd
OD9 - 157 usd
OD9 pro plus - 206

wow, that is expensive for a tube screamer. looks like there is a little back and forth, but the maxon weighs in a little more. i wonder what these 'improvements' are in the circuit, the pro says it's voltage doubling.

what really stuck in my head about the maxons was their AD9 version - 337 usd!

ibanez AD9 - 149

btw the TS-7 is 35 bucks

-ae
Wow, I really didnt realise that they were that expensive. This makes them seem completly useless for that pricetag.

TS7 + mod all the way.
Maxon OD9 is what you need
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2004
Fender Telecaster Custom 72RI 2009
PEDALZ
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
Quote by gumbilicious
i wanna do the Pepsi challenge with that chip and a hifi chip as most people say hifi chips are a def upgrade to the 4558.

Voodoo Labs did a test like this with their tubescreamer clone, they tested about 10 different IC's they were all a bit different, but none were really better. I'll see if I can dig up the vid on Youtube.
Quote by littlephil
Voodoo Labs did a test like this with their tubescreamer clone, they tested about 10 different IC's they were all a bit different, but none were really better. I'll see if I can dig up the vid on Youtube.

i have heard of that test. i also heard people putting in HIFI chips and actually making a bit of quality difference (the 4558 was kinda budget audio chip from what i dug up). would love to see if voodoo labs did this in their experiment.

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
i have heard of that test. i also heard people putting in HIFI chips and actually making a bit of quality difference (the 4558 was kinda budget audio chip from what i dug up). would love to see if voodoo labs did this in their experiment.

I just remembered it wasn't Voodoo Labs, it was Visual sound
I'm pretty sure they did use a few hifi chips.
Here's the video;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpTv2jAree8
Quote by littlephil
I just remembered it wasn't Voodoo Labs, it was Visual sound
I'm pretty sure they did use a few hifi chips.
Here's the video;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpTv2jAree8

thx phil. internet is slow and it'll take a while to load, but i have been hearing about this op amp shootout and i look forward to the watch.

-ae
I didn't even think the TS7 was an option really. I thought it was just a cheap piece of junk so I didn't even look at it, but I hear the slightest sound difference between the TS7 and OD808. If I was using it as my main distortion it might be worth the difference but for what I'm using it for the TS7 will do me just fine. Thanks everyone for your help and saving me 150 bucks.
Quote by Dannnn_xD
Why tell him to not get those (max+ts-9) because they sound the same, then say go for this(Ts-7) because it sounds the same as those...

wat

I said they all sounded the same so save your money. Every single Tubescreamer made by Maxon or Ibanez in the last 10 years sounds exactly the same when used as a boost and very slightly different when used as a stand alone OD.

To clear the record, TS7s made in the last 10 years or so are in metal cases. The only thing about them is that they're a bit tougher to mod since the boards aren't as nice and the pots are board mounted

gumbi, I like the OPA2134 and TL072 for low noise. Really quiet when paired with metal film resistors and high quality film caps. Parts differences don't really make a huge difference in tone in pedals in my experience. Just noise. Caps make the biggest difference though, IMO of course.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx

gumbi, I like the OPA2134 and TL072 for low noise. Really quiet when paired with metal film resistors and high quality film caps. Parts differences don't really make a huge difference in tone in pedals in my experience. Just noise. Caps make the biggest difference though, IMO of course.

ah, so that is the difference i was hearing about then, just lower noise. yeah, i hear the caps thing, i also like to play with tone stack (which has caps of course) and whatever diode's are in the clipping section. we made this board once where we can actually lay out what we want to replace and it has a switch selecting 2 different options (like a tone stack or a clipping section) on it so we can compare right there.

we try and have one person operating/switching/replacing components on the bread board and the other playing, that way the dude playing says what he thinks without knowing whats selected. keeps us a little more honest or else we always tend to pick what we think is 'better'.

one of the last times we did this i ended up picking LED's over germanium diodes... the tone stack stuff we did was always different values as we only really have whatever stock caps we have and some panasonic style caps and some box caps, not alot of different variety.

-ae
i have no idea, gumbi. I know here the maxons are a bit cheaper than the ibanez ones, but they're still pretty dear. I mean, the tonerider american overdrive is half the price, and is supposedly a ts9...

I know I have a biyang which is (to my ears) tubescreamery (no idea if it's a clone or just in the ballpark), and it has swappable chips... I have a jrc4558 (one of the newer ones), tl072, and ne5532 (something like that, i forget the exact code)... and you can hear a difference. I'm guessing you'd hear a difference in different chips in the tubescreamer, but then the chips i have are actual different chips, whether you'd hear a difference between one type of 4558 and another, i have no idea.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
hey guys sorry to momentarily hijack the thread but...is the TS-7 a good substitute to the maxon od808 when used as a boost? Does the TS-7 sound inferior in any way when used this way?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Quote by megano28
hey guys sorry to momentarily hijack the thread but...is the TS-7 a good substitute to the maxon od808 when used as a boost? Does the TS-7 sound inferior in any way when used this way?

Yup. Sounds exactly the same in that situation. Any subtle differences that may exist only show up in lower gain situations. A Tubescreamer is a Tubescreamer is a Tubescreamer.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by Levi79
What about the TS7 that was mentioned? Is it actually decent?

NO
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by slipknot_420
NO

Have you ever played a TS7? If you have and think it's vastly different from any others you need your ears checked. The construction is just fine if that's what you're referring to. Better or on par with ~85-90% of more expensive mass produced pedals I've been inside.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Yup. Sounds exactly the same in that situation. Any subtle differences that may exist only show up in lower gain situations. A Tubescreamer is a Tubescreamer is a Tubescreamer.

thanks man, I really appreciate the help, you have potentially saved me $100+...I don't know what I would do without the pit sometimes
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more