Hey everyone! I'm really undecided on what amp I want to go for here. I play in a worship team and I strive for really crisp clean tones, and when I need overdrive I have My pedals to push it a little bit more. But i'm a huge fan of the vox but i was just wondering what some of you experts out there have experienced between these two amps. Thanks a bunch guys!
Personally I definatly prefer a Fender Twin.

Saying that though, certain AC30 models sound pretty damn good too.

It's all down to personal preference.

The term 'warm' can be a confusing one. But a lot of people would describe the Vox as 'warm' and the Fender as 'bright'. This all depends on the guitar and pick-ups you're running through it though.

EDIT: Also, a Twin can go louder, if you need it to be able to do that.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Yeah, some AC30s sound bloody awful, the Custom Classic I think it was called? Tried one a while back and I was actually disgusted that they wanted so much money for something that sounded so awful.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Haha.

Around the same time, I tried a handwired AC30 of some kind, it was white. Sounded beautiful, that's how much they vary.
Quote by FuzzLove
Yeah, some AC30s sound bloody awful, the Custom Classic I think it was called? Tried one a while back and I was actually disgusted that they wanted so much money for something that sounded so awful.

I agree. TS, if you're going to spring for the AC30 make sure it's the newer version with the Greenbacks, as I've heard not so great things about the slightly older models.

Also, isn't a Twin Reverb like, way more expensive than an AC30?
Quote by Kensai
Hipster.

I have a name. It is Mitch.
Is it a real AC30 circuit, or one of those silly CC or master volume ones?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Well i don't think i could afford an actual ac30tb or tbx... why is everyone bashing the new custom series? is there something terribly wrong with it that i don't know about?
Quote by mayermusic1
Well i don't think i could afford an actual ac30tb or tbx... why is everyone bashing the new custom series? is there something terribly wrong with it that i don't know about?

Well, a lot of the worship bands using AC30s are using the British made AC30s and they are usually 60s or 70s AC30s. People say they are better and maybe they are. I wouldn't know. I can tell you that the newer AC30c2 with greenbacks sounded pretty good and better than the CC2 with wharfedale speakers. They are also cheaper than the CC2 AC30s (unless you get one at a store on clearance). There is honestly nothing wrong with them for what you want. If you are going to copy to the tee an old British band that used them, they might fall short. Again, I don't know from personal experience. This is just what people say. Just try the amp. Some people love it and some people hate it.

On topic, unless you need the extreme headroom the a Twin Reverb provides, I wouldn't take the plunge. An AC30 a very loud amp, and the Guitar Center folks always tell me to turn it down before I can get the amp even breathing. I don't think you'd want more clean headroom than that unless you are playing at some conference with thousands of people (ala Hillsong United, Chris Tomlin, Fee, etc.).
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Last edited by sg4ever at Sep 24, 2010,
I would say AC30, but I don't much care for super clean sounds. Also not to crazy about bright amps either. I would like to have an AC30 one of these days. Probably a clone.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Personally I like the Vox sound more, but if you like to build your sound with pedals you might like the Twin Reverb. It's an excellent canvas for pedal users to build their tone on since it's so pristine.
I'm more of a fender clean guy. It depends on the guitar you're using, though; a strat through a twin reverb would be way too bright for me.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
ah, the classic battle of which clean amp to get, the AC30 or the Twin...

I've always been an AC30 guy, so I admit I'm biased, but the handwired one's with bluebacks (read that again, CELESTION AlNiCo BLUES... or replace the speakers in any other model with those or Weber AlNiCo Blue Dogs if you want to save a buck, still great speakers) are fvckin' amazing! smooth warm cleans, way more mids than the Fender (which is good, help you to be heard in a mix), also breaks up nicely, whereas the Twin doesn't really break up... ever. The ability to switch between Pent/Tri modes really helps with this. Also, if 'bright' is something you want, be sure you pick up a top boost model.

down side is all the AC30's I've tried don't like pedals nearly as much as the Twin, and like others have said, stray from the CC versions. They're still ok, just not for their new price.