I have a cort EVL Z6, and i have found that the sustain is really bad compared to the ther stings. hold the guitar straight, I can see that the high E string is lower compared to the rest of the strings. The bride on my guitar is a raised bridge which has adjustable 'wedges' for each string.
My Question: How do I adjust the height of the string? is there a correct procedure i need to follow?
Edit to bump: the sustain is worse when playing the higher frets of the high E string.
A.K.A what is the correct way to adjust the action?
I think what will help you in your case it to raise the bridge on the high e side. Those wedges you are talking about are called saddles, they do not adjust action. You adjust the intonation with the saddles by sliding them back or forth. This shortens or lengthens the string length and keeps each string in tune on every fret.

To raise the string height/action, look on the bottom side of your bridge. There should be little thumbwheels on either end of your bridge. If you can't get to them, you can use a screwdriver and turn the two little screws that are on the top of your bridge, on either side. In your case. you turn the thumbwheel with your fingers, or the screw, on the side where you want to raise the action, so the one that is under the high E. You will have to figure out which way to turn it, one way will raise that side of the bridge, the other will lower it. You will see it move, so you will know. If you are raising the bridge on that side, this will tighten the strings, so you will have to re-tune your guitar after, no big deal. It's easier to loosen the strings a bit before you raise the bridge, then re-tune them after you have the bridge where you want it. Raise that high-e side of the bridge little by little and keep re-tuning your guitar to see if you like where it is and that your sustain has gotten better. Technically, you should reset your intonation after you change the string height. Depending on how high you raise the bridge/string height, your intonation will be off. This is not hard to figure out on your own, it deals with adjusting the position of those saddles/wedges. There are many instructions online of how to do this so just google it or go here:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602241

It is okay for the high e side of your bridge to be lower than the Low-e side. That's normal. You can make them even if you'd like but generally it's easier to play the high strings when they are closer to the frets. Good luck!
Godin Summit CT - Natural
Vox VT 50 amplifier
Vox V847 Wah pedal
Last edited by TheWaydown at Sep 25, 2010,
One thing to add: If the action and intonation adjustment is not fixing the issue, you may need a slight truss rod adjustment, as your neck may have a little too much back-bow. Sometimes a slight tweak to the truss will fix sustain problems.

Another thing to consider may be a worn saddle.

Now I am not saying that you should run right out and try adjusting the truss rod. That is really a last ditch solution if it is only one string. Also truss rod adjustments require that you allow the neck to "settle" for at least an hour before attempting to tune, or make other adjustments.

TheWaydown has definitely given fantastic advice on the issue. Follow that first, as is most likely will solve the problem. but if not, it may be what I mentioned above.
POOPY-TRIM!
Last edited by Morbius77 at Sep 25, 2010,
Thank you both heaps for your help, following these guides i fixed the solution, thanks heaps.
Awesome man! I'm glad you fixed it!
Godin Summit CT - Natural
Vox VT 50 amplifier
Vox V847 Wah pedal
You can also get a compressor pedal for more even sustain
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.