Page 1 of 4
....State Board of Education.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39311882/ns/education_nation/

It appeared that Texas had finished battling over textbooks — with social conservatives winning a clear victory in May — but the Texas State Board of Education is taking up another explosive curriculum question: Are Texan youth being fed a sugar-coated version of Islam while Christianity is unfairly taken to task for its sins?
At a three-day meeting that started Wednesday, the board is scheduled to consider a resolution that would require it to reject textbooks that it determines are tainted with teaching “pro-Islamic, anti-Christian half-truths and selective disinformation,” a bias that it argues is reflected in current schoolbooks.
“I think our documentation clearly shows that the bias is there,” said Randy Rives of Odessa, who drafted the resolution. “And we feel that it was not done on accident.”
The discussion comes as Americans’ distrust of Islam is on the rise, possibly as a result of a bitter controversy over the proposed construction of a mosque near “Ground Zero” of the Sept. 11 terror attacks in New York City. A national poll released earlier this week by the Angus Reid polling firm found that a narrow majority of Americans holds a generally unfavorable opinion of Islam, with 45 percent saying it is a religion that encourages violence. By contrast, only one American in 10 believes that either Christianity or Judaism "encourages violence,” the poll found.
While proponents of the Texas textbook resolution insist that they merely want to provide balance, charges of Islamophobia are already being leveled. The Texas Freedom Network, a liberal religion and education watchdog group, did a point-by-point analysis and rebuttal of the resolution, which it described as “ill considered” and “filled with superficial, misleading and half-baked claims designed simply to promote fear and religious prejudice.”

What the fuck?
I don't understand you Americans sometimes.
Quote by babakkatt
Whats wrong with asking a girl what kind of cheese she likes?

LOUD NOISES
Again Texas?
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
I didn't realize schools taught much about Islam at all. I remember talking about it for a day or two in my World Cultures class in high school. Other than that it was never a subject we discussed. Same went for Christianity.
Oh Texas, quit trying so hard..
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
its no wonder everyone's against the Christians. everyone is too busy worried about the islamic people or whatever.
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Half the world are mindless dumb****s. I bet they're actually part of a different, stupid race that evolved alongside humans.
Liberals in Texas must be easy to spot now, what with them being bald from ripping their own hair out, and occasionally assaulting inanimate objects and swearing loudly.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by frnzd
I don't understand you Americans sometimes.

I'm not American and even I know that Texas is a messed up capitalist place that doesn't represent the rest of the country.

Also, religions make me laugh when they try and accuse each-other of being the most violent, as if acknowledging their own violent tenancies but childishly pretending they're not as bad as the next guys.

No religion really has the right to make claims like that apart from Buddhism or something.
Wait a minute. You mean Texas HAS an education board.
-The Crimson Fucker, aka PonyFan #376121
Quote by Masamune
Hey it's not all of us.

Jon steward's dead right with this march, you need to take the limelight away from these nutters who are hogging your news outlets. They're even getting in our newspapers, albeit they're being subtly mocked here.

Edit: and this is a reference to the general Islamiphobic nut jobs.
Quote by babakkatt

LOUD NOISES
Last edited by frnzd at Sep 24, 2010,
It's quite remarkable that American Christians always feel like they are somehow being victimized when they live in one of the most Christian nations on the planet.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by moscaespañol

is this what is behind the Texan education board? THIS?!
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Quote by Ziphoblat
I'm not American and even I know that Texas is a messed up capitalist place that doesn't represent the rest of the country.

I was being whimsical.
Quote by babakkatt

LOUD NOISES
LOL at Texas. We need more Muslim understanding, and we need to rid ourselves of these Christians, they bring our country down.

Europe is on the right path, they've embraced Muslims for a few decades, and they are so much better than bum**** Texas. Look at France, look at Holland, so much more progressive. Such the better life. Texas should just go away with Christians.
Last edited by Rt1Rebel at Sep 24, 2010,
Quote by Ziphoblat
We really aren't that much different from the rest of the U.S. Yeah, Board of Education could be a lot better, though.
Quote by Albino Uprising
As a liberal Texan, I have to say I hate it here.
Really? I like Texas.
Quote by Rt1Rebel
LOL at Texas. We need more Muslim understanding, and we need to rid ourselves of these Christians, they bring our country down.

Europe is on the right path, they've embraced Muslims for a few decades, and they are so much better than bum**** Texas. Look at France, look at Holland, so much more progressive. Such the better life. Texas should just go away with Christians.
Yeah, I'm pretty left-leaning, and I'm not religious, but you sound like a total jackass in this post.
"Some people said that, constrained by the lack of food, they boiled pagan adults in cooking-pots, impaled children on spits and devoured them grilled."

Sometimes Christianity deserves the criticism it gets. These people need to realize that. Christian history isn't exactly family friendly in many cases.

To be fair, it does seem like being critical of Islam automatically gets you branded as "close minded" by some people.
Quote by Rt1Rebel

So fucking progressive France has banned the Burqa and some others are going to follow suit.
Ah you progressive enlightened bunch.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
even though a thread was already made for this, I still must at the ignorance that is the State of Texas
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Jackal58
So fucking progressive France has banned the Burqa and some others are going to follow suit.
Ah you progressive enlightened bunch.

Turkey is a predominantly Muslim nation and they've banned the burqa in schools and certain other places; and rightly so.
Turkey banned the hijab due to it's affiliation with political dissenters.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by The Madcap
Really? I like Texas.

I live about an hour south of you (Brazoria County.) I kind of meant politically, a lot of people down here hate me because of of my views. The god 'n' guns type of people around here annoy me.

It's also ungodly humid here.
Quote by The Madcap
Texas is a lot more liberal than people give it credit for. Especially the bigger cities.

+1

I think we say this in just about every thread about Texas but no one seems to listen
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
Quote by Albino Uprising
I live about an hour south of you (Brazoria County.) I kind of meant politically, a lot of people down here hate me because of of my views. The god 'n' guns type of people around here annoy me.

It's also ungodly humid here.
Politically, I know what you mean. The less urban areas are more Tea Party/conservative. The bigger cities like Houston and Austin are pretty liberal. In my city, Obama got more votes than McCain (I actually live in a suburban town outside Houston). Although you probably already knew that.
Quote by The Madcap
Texas is a lot more liberal than people give it credit for. Especially the bigger cities.

A lot of cities tend to lean to the liberal side of things, so that's not really surprising. It seems like much of the rest of the state consists of these crazy people though.
Quote by Rt1Rebel

Europe has embraced Muslims? Where is this? Anti-immigrant parties aren't exactly doing bad throughout Europe. And there is plenty of racism against Arabs in Europe -- borderline xenophobia in some cases.
“I think our documentation clearly shows that the bias is there,” said Randy Rives of Odessa, who drafted the resolution. “And we feel that it was not done on accident.

Oh god...
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by RockInPeaceDime
Europe has embraced Muslims? Where is this? Anti-immigrant parties aren't exactly doing bad throughout Europe. And there is plenty of racism against Arabs in Europe -- borderline xenophobia in some cases.

England?
If Texans want to look at it like that we can just study the follies of religion as whole.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
I live in Maryland, in Howard County, which is the 3rd richest county in the nation. We're fairly liberal here. You go 45 minutes to the west, and you might as well be in the backcountry of Texas. It's probably like that in most states.
Quote by phlip999
Armstrong to moon bass.
Sorry.

Quote by 0RI0N
I just glanced and thought his name was tampon.

Quote by The Madcap
We really aren't that much different from the rest of the U.S. Yeah, Board of Education could be a lot better, though.Really? I like Texas.Yeah, I'm pretty left-leaning, and I'm not religious, but you sound like a total jackass in this post.

I don't care if I sound like a jackass here. I'll make it, I already have. And I worked my ass off to do it. It's you that are under 30 years old that are the ones that need to get your heads out of your ass and refuse to be dumbed down by the rest of the 3rd world, the UN, the One World, their beliefs, their plans for you and your money, the plans that your own government has for you to equalize the world and to distribute the poverty. I wish I could say to you "good luck chumps," but I can't, because I have a daughter and possible will have grandchildren.

Wealth is not a single pie, not a constant in this world. Wealth is built and is infinite, and wealthy civilizations can be built. The answer is not to stop making pies and cut up the ones on the counter and give them out, the answer is to keep baking pies, and let those that know how to make them keep making them, and help those that want to bake pies to bake them.

The one thing we cannot allow to happen is to let a theology against pies dictate how we are to conduct our pie baking. Live with them, sure. Acknowledge them, why not, abid by their medievial ideas? Absolutely not.
Quote by daytripper75
A lot of cities tend to lean to the liberal side of things, so that's not really surprising. It seems like much of the rest of the state consists of these crazy people though.
I suppose if you're only considering the white people outside the urban areas, it can be looked at that way. Mexicans tend to be more democratic because democrats aren't as tough on immigration as republicans. And there's quite a bit of Mexicans here. Both in urban and rural areas.
Quote by The Madcap
I suppose if you're only considering the white people outside the urban areas, it can be looked at that way. Mexicans tend to be more democratic because democrats aren't as tough on immigration as republicans. And there's quite a bit of Mexicans here. Both in urban and rural areas.

It get's fairly annoying too, when you go to Subway and have to order your sandwich in Spanish
Page 1 of 4