Im thinking of de fretting my bass from the 12 up to 24, because im getting some fret buzz and i really don't like it. So im just wandering if i could pull it off.
THALL
you couldn't slap right...

edit:
What I ment by this was it wouldn't sound like slapping on a regular bass anymore
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Last edited by evhbrianmay at Sep 24, 2010,
Really? The majority of my slap playing is up abpve that. So i would think it wouldn't affect it that much.
THALL
If there aren't any frets, there can't be fret buzz Plus ive been dying to have a fretless bass, sense my fretless guitar project ended with me f'n up the electronics
THALL
Quote by Kyleisthename
I'm pretty sure you don't solve fret buzz with pulling frets out

yeah if anything you'll make it worse. that is kinda part of the fretless sound though
Well i should of stated that the majority of the buzz is a result of the action. But its either really high, and no buzz, or low and buzz from 12 up. So i figured no frets would be the best of both worlds.
THALL
I'd treat a de-fret as an all-or-none experience... It could throw your remaining notes out of tune, or the de-fretted notes out of tune. Granted, you can fix the intonation of the de-fretted notes by moving your finger around the tone aimlessly and calling it vibrato, but I don't think that's what you're going for.
I just wanna know if its possible and wouldn't kill my sound :\
THALL
What tuning and gauge strings are you using?
Is your bass properly set up?
Are you using proper technique when plucking?

Also, why post 2 exact same forms?
Im using Standard 5 string tuning, High g is a 45 Low B is a 130. I guess im plucking right, i do it the way i always do :\ The whole reason i wan t to do this is to acheive a lower action without buzz. The fretless sound is just a bonus. If you get what i mean lol
THALL
though there are much better ways to get rid of buzz (especially when it's normally between frets 1 and 5). what you're doing is very possible.

but remember, you'll never get the action as low on the fretless part as you would a 100% fretless.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
I know it's not going to be crazy low like on a true fretless, i just want it to be lower than it is now. So your saying that its possible?
THALL
Quote by housty
I know it's not going to be crazy low like on a true fretless, i just want it to be lower than it is now. So your saying that its possible?

if all you're doing is removing the 12-24 frets, it's totally possible. i highly doubt it'll relieve you of your buzz, but its possible and it has been done before many many times.

personally i'd just got 100% fretless. then all you'd need is a shorter nut and you're done, along with a general setup of course.

edit- after you filled the slots with something like thin strips of wood or plastic pieces so that the fretboard is smooth. i think they use something like pick-guard material when they cut the slots and insert the white plastic so the lines still remain. could be like polystyrene too.

Quote by evhbrianmay
you couldn't slap right...

You can't slap a fretless bass?
...really?
REALLY?

Quote by L2112Lif

let's break this down, shall we?
I'd treat a de-fret as an all-or-none experience...
fair enough

It could throw your remaining notes out of tune, or the de-fretted notes out of tune.
This changes absolutely nothing about the space of the 1-12 frets. and the rest of the frets will no longer exist, what does it matter if theyre "out of tune"?

Granted, you can fix the intonation of the de-fretted notes by moving your finger around the tone aimlessly and calling it vibrato,
huh? you listen to the tune of those upper notes for yourself. what does it matter if an imaginary line is wrong? even if it would be wrong, which it would not!

but I don't think that's what you're going for.
be a smartass when you learn your shit.

answers in red.

i beg you all, learn about what you're talking about before you post advice on it. really.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Last edited by conor1148 at Sep 24, 2010,
Thank you! A great response from a pro! ( kinda pro i guess :\) I don't wanna go total fretless since i only have two basses, the 5'er and the 6'er.

And i would just fill the slots with some wood filler. And coat it with a clear epoxy. ( which i'll probably mess up.)

Then again, i could just fill the slots with the clear epoxy, or this white marine epoxy i have. But thats too be discussed at a later time.

Edit: Since my main problem is the buzz, what do you think i should do to get rid of it?
THALL
Last edited by housty at Sep 24, 2010,
Quote by housty
Thank you! A great response from a pro! ( kinda pro i guess :\) I don't wanna go total fretless since i only have two basses, the 5'er and the 6'er.

And i would just fill the slots with some wood filler. And coat it with a clear epoxy. ( which i'll probably mess up.)

Then again, i could just fill the slots with the clear epoxy, or this white marine epoxy i have. But thats too be discussed at a later time.

im nowhere near a "pro", but i just know there are alot of people here who think they are but are really far worse than i am. but i really appreciate the gesture!

about the slots, i HIGHLY suggest using wood or plastic in there. it is a bad idea to ever fill up large-ish gaps with just filler. it will shrink and crack and look awful. using wood strips or something else and then filling the gaps with epoxy then sanding it smooth sounds like a much better alternative.
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Hmm, so cut some strips to where their kinda loose in the slots, pour in some epoxy, let it dry then sand/coat?
THALL
they can be tight if you want it to/can make it be. but yes.
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

ok sorry! I saw you said that you slap above the last fret so it would sound right

And yes of course you can slap on a frettless it just sounds tons different
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Last edited by evhbrianmay at Sep 24, 2010,
Quote by evhbrianmay
ok sorry! I saw you said that you slap above the last fret so it would sound right

And yes of course you can slap on a frettless it just sounds tons different

ah, i see now.

and yes, it does sound different. not that it sounds bad or anything
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by housty
So if i de-fret it will it lead to more or less buzz?

it shouldnt lead to any more at all. if the fret that's buzzing is 13+ it may help. otherwise, it wont at all.
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

If you want it to stop buzzing, get a proper setup, most likely including a re leveling of the frets. Simple fix really.

Can you defret a neck and make it fretless? Sure. Make sure you put a wood veneer or something similar in the cracks, dont just putty it.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.