Im thinking of de fretting my bass from the 12 up to 24, because im getting some fret buzz and i really don't like it. So im just wandering if i could pull it off.
THALL
Quote by Kevy Absolution
I'll tell you now that will look super trashy.

You think so? I imagine it would be kinda cool. I don't think a normal person would really notice.
THALL
Quote by housty
You think so? I imagine it would be kinda cool. I don't think a normal person would really notice.

I think it's utterly stupid, but I think you should do it. It might be so dumb that it's actually brilliant.
Last edited by Skeletomania at Sep 25, 2010,
Theirs a video on youtube of some guy playing a partially defretted guitar, so i thought it would solve my g.a.s for a fretless, and my buzz/action problem
THALL
^ don't defret it if your problem is fret buzz. You also mention action, and it won't help that either. Fretless has a distinctive "mwah" to it, you should only really defret part or all of it if that's the sound your after. You'll also probably want to epoxy that portion of the fretboard to protect it.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Also, you'll have to use flatwounds or you'll risk scratching up the fretboard. A lot of people say this idea is dumb, but I'm actually kind of intrigued. I wouldn't do it on a really expensive bass, but if you have a cheap bass you want to experiment on, I say go for it.
Gear:

Fender Jazz
Spector Legend Custom 5
Yamaha BB415

Fender Bassman 400 Pro
I've got a p.o.s. first act that im going to partial de-fret as soon as i get it back and i hope its gonna kicks ass. as for your question you could probably its a fairly simple process and theirs a really long indepth youtube video on how to do it so that might help
I'm pretty familiar with the de-fretting process, and how to go about it i think. I don't know if i've metioned it, but ive already de fretted a squier strat of mine, so i know how to do it. I just wanted to know if only doing it halfway would work, or be a waste.
THALL
Quote by housty
Thank you my good sir! All my playing with that bass for years to come will be in your honor!

Those bass aren't just fretless above the 12 fret. They have to raise the fret board height on that area to have proper intonation, and be able to play the same scale as the fretted section. Also, they kept the last 2 frets on the finger board so people can slap and pop. It isn't as simple as yank the frets out, and be able to play both fretted and fretless bass at the same time.
Last edited by Skeletomania at Sep 27, 2010,
Quote by Skeletomania
Those bass aren't just fretless above the 12 fret. They have to raise the fret board height on that area to have proper intonation, and be able to play the same scale as the fretted section. Also, they kept the last 2 frets on the finger board so people can slap and pop. It isn't as simple as yank the frets out, and be able to play both fretted and fretless bass at the same time.

+1

If you just take the frets out, the intonation will be good for either the fretted half or the fretless half.

The best sounding range on the fretless is from the 7th to 14th fret. If it's for fret buzz just get the bass set up properly and correct your technique.
I'm not averse to the idea, but if your only reason for doing it is because of fret buzz, that's a little silly. Check the truss-rod and bridge for intonation issues before you do something so drastic.