My problem is this:
I have a line 6 spider jam amp and a boss me-50 multi effects and whenever i try and use the overdrive and distortion effects on the pedal i always get screechy annoying sounds and cant find good tones. Is it because you can only use line 6 pedals on line 6 amps or what?
No, it's just the amp sucks. Believe me, we've all been down this road.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i honestly dont like my amp that much, but if i want to use the pedal with it i should use a clean tone?
Yes, preferably with no effects on.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Your amp is a digital modeling amp. It takes the signal from your guitar and processes it through a bunch of equations to produce a sound vaguely similar to an analog guitar amp. When you overdrive or distort the signal going into some modeling amps it’s kind of like drinking a taco-bell-burrito-milkshake; something very nasty comes out the other end. They just don’t have equations that can handle some funky numbers.
thx for the help. i was planning on getting a new amp soon and do you guys know any that give a good metal sound and could be used for small gigs?
Quote by ForTheWolf
My problem is this:
I have a line 6 spider jam amp and a boss me-50 multi effects and whenever i try and use the overdrive and distortion effects on the pedal i always get screechy annoying sounds and cant find good tones. Is it because you can only use line 6 pedals on line 6 amps or what?

jpnyc is in the right ballpark. it problem, i think, is overprocessing. it's kinda the fact that you are running through 2 digital effects components and both are 'expecting' a clean/uneffected signal.

almost like when you use a modeler with a 'cabinet simulator' with headphones and it sounds good ('good' may be the word, some may say acceptable, some may saw horrible) but when you use the cabinet emulator when you run a cabinet it doesn't sound as good (or acceptable).

'your amp sucks' is a pretty blanket answer that doesn't really address the problem.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Sep 25, 2010,
Quote by jpnyc
When you overdrive or distort the signal going into some modeling amps it’s kind of like drinking a taco-bell-burrito-milkshake; something very nasty comes out the other end.

I wish I had the room to sig that!
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal