Okay, I recently sold my PEavey BAndit, deciding that I didn't need the multiple channels it provided, and instead would like a one channel amp that focuses on a ton of clean headroom.

I need this thing to be loud, retain the cleans at high volume, and be low on treble.

I have about a $500 budget, and would prefer it to have no effects other than Tremolo/Vibrato and/or reverb. no DSP or onboard fx. If you'd like to know the guitars and effects I'll be pairing it with, they are as follows:

Guitars:
Squier Tele Custom II (I pretty much stick to the neck pickup, and rarely use the bridge)
Blacktop JAzzmaster (see above)

Effects:
Memory Boy
Small Clone
Big Muff
Whammy 2

OR

Digitech GNX fx processor. (I'm too lazy to go look at it, but it's the one with the whammy pedal and the LED display.) I mostly use this more for small shows where I don't want my shit getting stolen.

Now, clean tones from this amp are important above all else. I don't care about how cool it might sound to crank the gain and get an AC/DC type tone, or an Eric Clapton from the YArdbirds tone...don't care. I don't use distortion on any of my band's songs (save one, and solos, which I only use the Big Muff). I'm obviously not expecting you guys to pull a twin reverb out for 500, but if I had more money, I'd buy one.

Thanks in advance guys
I'd suggest a Fender Blues JR at that budget. It can stay super clean and sounds great. If your budget was a bit higher, I'd suggest a used Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue or used Fender Twin Reissue.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Quote by tufel77
I need this thing to be loud, retain the cleans at high volume, and be low on treble.

I have about a $500 budget, and would prefer it to have no effects other than Tremolo/Vibrato and/or reverb. no DSP or onboard fx. If you'd like to know the guitars and effects I'll be pairing it with, they are as follows:

Now, clean tones from this amp are important above all else. I don't care about how cool it might sound to crank the gain and get an AC/DC type tone, or an Eric Clapton from the YArdbirds tone...don't care. I don't use distortion on any of my band's songs (save one, and solos, which I only use the Big Muff). I'm obviously not expecting you guys to pull a twin reverb out for 500, but if I had more money, I'd buy one.

Thanks in advance guys

sounds like a music man to me. leo fender helped design them. i got 3, all around 500 bucks.

mind you, they stopped making them in the 80's so you'd have to go used. they are also hybrid with a SS preamps and tube power section.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Sep 25, 2010,
I find nice fender twins or super twins for right around $500 all the time around my craigslist. I'd suggest one of those.
ZT Lunchbox or ZT Clubman
Acoustic Control Corp. SS heads from the '70s
Music Man amps
Used Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Peavey Classic VTX (the vintage 212 ones from the '70s, not the more recent Classic 30)
Ampeg heads
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
thanks for the numerous replies. I neglected to mention that it would be preferable if it was a Combo, for portability. I am very much a musician on the move, so compact gear i best. I'm kind of feeling the Blues Jr...and I've realised that there are 2, the III and the NOS. The NOS is 80 bucks more...would you guys say it's worth the extra 80? I'd like to avoid used amps, given the increased chance of it having problems.
Roland JC120 baby!
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by fastlanestoner
Roland JC120 baby!

Absolutely this. Those are the best cleans I've tried, imo. Infinite headroom, amazing chorus while you're at it. You might be able to find one under 500 as well.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
hmm...well, now I'm at a crossroads. I've found some JC120s used for 449, so this is perfect, and I'm intrigued about the stereo chorus, but I typically prefer tubes. I know it comes down to personal preference, but *SHAMELESS PLUG* if you'd give a quick listen to the song "purple spiders" on my band's page, the cleans on that song are about what I'm looking for.

Purple Spiders

but anyway, I hope I'm not overstepping the boundaries of this thread, I fear banishment horribly. And thanks again.

EDIT: I reread and realised that people will look at this and say "if you have to tone you want on a recording, why are you doing this?" and the answer is that I used modelling software and very expensive cabinet at a studio to get the tone for that song. Thanks!
Last edited by tufel77 at Sep 25, 2010,
Quote by tufel77
hmm...well, now I'm at a crossroads. I've found some JC120s used for 449, so this is perfect, and I'm intrigued about the stereo chorus, but I typically prefer tubes. I know it comes down to personal preference, but *SHAMELESS PLUG* if you'd give a quick listen to the song "purple spiders" on my band's page, the cleans on that song are about what I'm looking for.

Purple Spiders

but anyway, I hope I'm not overstepping the boundaries of this thread, I fear banishment horribly. And thanks again.

EDIT: I reread and realised that people will look at this and say "if you have to tone you want on a recording, why are you doing this?" and the answer is that I used modelling software and very expensive cabinet at a studio to get the tone for that song. Thanks!

the older JC's had the CE-1 built in, that is a sweet chorus man. we, actually have one, it is sweet.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. They can be found used for $400 give or take.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by tufel77

Purple Spiders

i completely agree with preferring tubes, and i don't own a single SS amp, but i will tell you from what i have heard come out of a JC, it would be my one exception, for having a SS amp in my stalls. they are excellent. i don't know how close it will get you to your recording, but i will tell you it is a stellar amp.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
+1 to the roland jazz chorus possibly one of the best clean sounds i've heard. If you listen to any metal album with a clean section it'll probably be a jc120 playing it
Amps:
Orange Rocker 30
Marshall JCM 800 1960 4x12
Guitars:
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400
Pedals:
Boss SD-1
Boss GE-7
Behringer TU-300

www.myspace.com/oceansatealaska
Yeah, I used to have a JC-120H, the Roland Head. It was great. I've seen them go for $300. I think there is one in my area with a roadcase for around $400. Haha. I couldn't get the nice rich gain I wanted with pedals through the solid state head so I moved on to tubes. It works well with lighter distortion though. Also takes pretty much all pedals like a champ. I played an ME-70 through one once and it was the best I've heard that multi fx sound. I definitely recommend that.
The JC-120 is a good option. high wattage so it stays clean, pristine cleans, great chorus... what's not to like?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by VishNuRoXoUt
I find nice fender twins or super twins for right around $500 all the time around my craigslist. I'd suggest one of those.

+1 to that.

also, the HRD is decent for cleans in a pinch, the music man stuff is good as well.

i once scored a '63 vibroverb RI for under $500.
Used Peavey Delta Blues.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Roland Jazz Chorus was exactly what i was thinking when I read your post too
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2004
Fender Telecaster Custom 72RI 2009
PEDALZ
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
okay guys, after doing some research and watching some demo vids, I have decided on the JC-120. It's not tube, but I think it'll give me the sound I want. Even the distortion sound is what I want. Thanks for the help guys, and I'll post my band's new tunes with the amp when I find the one I really want.
Ampeg Reverb Rocket!
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.