so i'm planning out a build, for the new year, and i can't decide between a PRS style guitar, or a Doublecut LP Jr.
i love the look of PRS' but i love the classic, rawnchy look of the Doublecut.
so, im asking the wonderful people of UG, for their opinions. yes opinions, i wont tell you guys what i play, what im playing through, or anything else. just go by which one you like more.
thanks guys!
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Custom Upside-Down Strat
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
>Guyatone ST-2 Comrpessor
PRS!
The McCarty is one of the best looking guitars ever IMO (Especially the Korina models)
Look up the Gibson Longhorn Double Cutaway BV, it's the best of both worlds.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
I would go with a PRS-type. I think a Les Paul should be a single cut, IMO. But you should pick whichever one you like the most.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Quote by earthwormjim
Why not a LP double cut, but carve the top like a regular les paul?

Gibson has done that a long time ago... Here.

I like them a lot, looks-wise. Much better than the Longhorn, IMO.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Gibson has done that a long time ago... Here.

I like them a lot, looks-wise. Much better than the Longhorn, IMO.

I just wish that had the 4 knobs on it. That's part of what makes a Les Paul so awesome to play, the flexibility of independent volume and tone knobs.
IMHO It goes without saying that PRS guitars are pure class, but you don't see many Doublecut Les Pauls these days. You have two options if you opt for the LP

Simple workhorse

OR Elegant machine

If you're going to build it, think of your own unique shape, perhaps somewhere between a double cut LP and a PRS. And as far as volume tone controls, you're free to add as many or few as you like. And position them where you feel they should be, not where some underpaid employee decided to drill them that day.
Isn't this way you wanted to build one?
Quote by Dan B44
If you're going to build it, think of your own unique shape, perhaps somewhere between a double cut LP and a PRS. And as far as volume tone controls, you're free to add as many or few as you like. And position them where you feel they should be, not where some underpaid employee decided to drill them that day.
Isn't this way you wanted to build one?

As someone who's in the process of building a clone, I'd like to say... be quiet.

Solid-body electric guitar design and manufacture has been an art for nearly 70 years now. Almost every ergonomic yet classy and pretty guitar design has already been made in one form or another. At this point asking someone to make their own shape is asking to make it pointier or weirder or more disproportionate.

Also, if you invest in it, a $1,000 build done very carefully will rival $4,000 custom shop/private stock guitars. So if you want an expensive production guitar but can't afford one and know you can build one well, building is more economical.

And lastly, some people like the fun of building and also like production guitars. Theres no reason to not build a Les Paul or Custom 24 or Telecaster for fun.
Last edited by Seref at Sep 26, 2010,