hey guys
So, I found a rehearsal space that would cost my band $15 dollars an hour. The place is pretty grubby, it even smells kinda funky, but the guy seems legit and the place seems useable after some work.

He mentioned that if we used the rehearsal space 2 times a week, instead of once, it "might" cost us the same amount of money. emphasis on "might." That means we would get some free hours, i guess?
Now, my questions to the oh-so wise people of cyberspace, is: is $15 dollars an hour reasonable? He is supplying a P.A. and a microphone, and conceivably the time we rehearse could be whenever. If we practiced for 3 hours a week, thats $45, which split between each member of the band would only be $7.

So each member is paying 1 dollar a day to rehearse there.
Thanks for the help, guise
EDIT: oh and I forgot, he is supplying a kit, too. woops!
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute
SX stratocaster
MIA Fender Stratocaster
Vox AD50 Vox AC15C1 Vox AC30CC2X Laney LH50r
Guitar>Joe Bonamossa Crybaby > AquaPuss> Sparkle Drive> Green Rhino> DejaVibe> Amplifier
CROWN VIC
$15 an hour is pretty cheap especially with the PA.
It all depends on how much you will make use of it. As in, do you practice 3 hours a week now without the space? Are your rehearsals already going well without it?
Also, most rehearsal spaces are grubby and smelly and all that stuff, but if you can work in that environment then itd be worth it.
Also, try write as much as you can outside of the rehearsal space and sort of plan your practice to get the most use you can out of that 3 hours.
well so far we really just jam in my drummers basement, which has been pretty good.
But we have not had a full practice yet, as in not all of the members have attended. IF we were to use this rehearsal space, it would kind of "force" us all into attending since we have to pay, which would be a good thing.
But if $15 an hour is pretty cheap, then I might take the plunge. What is a normal rate for a space anyway? Maybe there is a better one I can find that isn't that much more costly?
Gear:
SX stratocaster
MIA Fender Stratocaster
Guitar>Joe Bonamossa Crybaby > AquaPuss> Sparkle Drive> Green Rhino> DejaVibe> Amplifier
CROWN VIC
I'm just so glad that my bassist has a giant ass basement with amps, a drumset and a PA...

It seems reasonable, 1$ a day is affordable for a hobby, no?
no, the rate is hourly, not daily. $15 a day would be so sweet
Gear:
SX stratocaster
MIA Fender Stratocaster
CROWN VIC
The place I go to s £6, but it's cos it's like a private studio and we know the girl who runs it.

But the one we went to before that (horrible place) was £8 an hour.
There's another one in my town which is £9 an hour.
One outside of town where you put a £15 deposit down and that secures your hours like, then you pay weekly on top of that, but I forget the cost.

So I think I've currently got an amazing deal.
See if you can make friends with a loaded session musician, you might get a good deal.
Around here the going rate is $20-25/hr with drum set and PA and amps. Bring your own breakables. (sticks, snare, etc.)

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
This kind of stuff makes me happy that my church lets people use the worship teams' practice space for their own bands' practices as well.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Cheapest place that I use is $20-$30/hour for a room with a PA. Price ranges on stand and extra mic hire.

Although I don't public practice spaces anymore. Just set up a PA, drumkit, bass amp and guitar amp in my shed out back due to the amount of bands I am in. I was forking over $60-$80 personally a week.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
We pay 1$ an hour for a soundproof room with drums, bass, guitar and PA. I haven't spent a dime on practice yet. Beat that
I've used rooms that were £10 an hour for P.A. amps, drumkit and as many mics as you need. I'm not going to convert it but $15 doesn't sound too bad, It's just going to be a hassle to bring all your stuff in and you're going to waste the best part of an hour doing that as well as setting up and disassembling the drums.
That price sounds fair. Many quality studios I've used have also included decent cabs & a basic drum kit, and go up to $20-30/hr.

Suggestions: Do your writing in the basement. This takes hours and requires breaks and communication. Than, go to the studio a couple hours a week to really turn it up and work out the kinks
Well it right now we are solely using the basement, since the band is in the very beginning stages of its life right now. We think we might use this place later once we really need to work out set lists and get prepared for live shows, etc.
I am auditioning tomorrow for lead guitar in a band(called "Bad Habit" ) at this Rehearsal place called "The Music Garage." I've heard a lot about it, such as that it is more expensive than the rehearsal space I have available, but there equipment is very high quality. But this band seems serious enough where I will fork over the dough in the future anyway.
Also, my old music teacher has an office there, so it will be cool to see him again, if I do manage to see him again.
Just to make this thread a little more interesting, can I see some pictures of your rehearsal space? I'll try to post the basement within this week
Gear:
SX stratocaster
MIA Fender Stratocaster
CROWN VIC
I wish my old band space had been that cheap....ours was a rehearsal/recording studio in one, and that cost $25 an hour without bass/guitar amps, or cymbals for the drumkit.
That does seem pretty cheap, I used to pay £12 - £14 an hour at the one studio I rehearsed at, but that was pretty swish and nicely done out. I guess it depends on if you think you're getting value for money
My band (and any other band here that doesn't rehearse in a private space of their own) pays £15 an hour (and you get a free hour if you do 3) to rehearse at a place which supplies drums, amps and PA. We show up with just our guitars (drummer brings pretty much his whole kit, but he wouldn't have to), pay £6 each and get 3 hours.

So yeah, you're getting a decent deal. Similar, really.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
My band practices abover a local bar,its a massive room with smashed up walls and desks covered in old tv sets on tables witha big open space.

We get a discount for being members of the universitys rock society so it only costs £15 for 5 hours. Drums and amps included no realy pa but you do get a microphone amp type thing. Also the barmaids are all extremely hot.
Quote by Ed Hunter
This God damned son of a bitch is right.
Quote by stevielash
Also the barmaids are all extremely hot.
most important thing really. My band used to pay £27 for 4 hours at this place, all equipment thrown in and whatnot, but now because 3 of us are at music college we get to use the practise rooms there for free.
Quote by Eddie616
this guy is of epic legend.

it's true.
My rehearsal space costs me about $750 a month, but it comes with 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and a yard.
QUICK REFERENCE:
The answer to your question is PRACTICE.
The best guitar is the one that you like the most.
Learn theory, it will help.
Don't limit yourself to just one style.