Hello,

I got a question about my posture when playing. Like a lot of other guitarist out there ive gotten into metal music and sweeps. When i first started playing guitar way back when i got into the habit of having my right hand pinky always touching or resting on my pick guard.

Does anyone else do this and do you all think this is a bad habit that needs correcting, it doesn't seem to effect anything but i wondered if it was considered bad practice. Now if i dont play like that it feels really awkward. Im not the greatest at sweeps but i wondered if my posture was hurting me in progressing.

Also when i play a sweep i try to keep right hand loose, i tend to really squeeze the pick and it cramps my hand and starts hurting. I keep my wrist straight i try not to move it and let the sweep motion come from my elbow is that right?
It's called anchoring and yes, it's a bad habit - it restricts your movement, adding unwanted tension. That becomes more of an issue the faster you play, and when it comes to sweep speeds it's something that can cause problems with your hand. To sweep you need a free hand and that means not touching the pickguard. Obviously resting your palm on the bridge is fine if you're muting, but what you want to avoid is resting a finger in a fixed position on the guitar and using it as a reference point.

Also using the elbow is wrong, the motion should primarily be coming from your wrist, again that's simply not possible with an anchor which is why you need to avoid it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
what if the pinky is only resting lightly on the pickguard...like just the tip?
touching isn't so much the issue, it's keeping the finger anchored to a fixed point that causing the problems - if the fingers is simply hanging down and the hand is still moving freely then it's not so much of a problem.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
touching isn't so much the issue, it's keeping the finger anchored to a fixed point that causing the problems - if the fingers is simply hanging down and the hand is still moving freely then it's not so much of a problem.

+1.... and it's not a problem at all.

What the TS described though, definitely sounds like a tension issue.

TS:
keep the hand relaxed. The pinky can touch the guitar, but shouldn't be fixed to it. The wrist should move naturally. Don't use the elbow.

I would recommend spending some time with a teacher.
shred is gaudy music
Yeah, the only danger is that you may drift into using it as an anchor - as long as your hand is moving freely there's no problem.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

So i should sweep with the wrist? i thought it had or should be straight to prevent injury. I thought i read that one should use a larger joint such as the elbow to reduce the chance of repetitive injury.
never should any part of your playing come from your elbow- it will just lead to more problems with your technique. in order to sweep properly your wrist must remain relaxed in order to angle the pick the proper way. always try to keep yourself totally relaxed, both left hand and right hand, as well as shoulders and back. it will help you in the long run. and try to keep your movements from the elbow to a minimum - it will move a little bit regardless, but never should your wrist remain rigid with the movement focused on the elbow

as for the pinky, i don't anchor my pinky but i do let it rest. as long as you don't leave it fixed, you should be fine. what i find is that during certain things, my pinky rests and other times it's not touching at all. it will depend mostly on what is comfortable to you
keep writing. keep dreaming.

keep the notes coming...

ibanez ftw
Last edited by sqrrloncrack at Sep 25, 2010,
Different guitar teachers say different things. My teacher insisted that sweeping should never come from the wrist, and that throughout the sweeping motion you keep your wrist at a fixed angle in relation to your arm, and move your entire arm up and down. This keeps your pick at the same angle to the strings and keeps your wrist at the same angle to your arm. I guess this makes it easier to give the notes in the sweep equal attack and equal duration.

However some of my friends can sweep just fine and almost exclusively use the wrist. It just comes down to what technique you choose to practice, just know there's nothing globally seen as right and wrong.

As for the little finger, if you're applying pressure with it then it's probably gonna hurt your playing, but if it's just lighting touching the body I think it's fine.
Jig-allypuff.. Jigallyy-yyypuff... Jigglyypuff Jigalllyyyy....