Page 1 of 2
Hello everyone,

So I recently started an Indie Music blog. I'm always looking for new bands to discover. Anyone have any recommendations?

Please check out my blog and tell what you think. If you like what you see, please follow!

GoodIndieMusic.blogspot.com
Passion Pit, Van-She, Empire of the Sun, Local Natives, Hockey, Company of Thieves, Broken Bells, The Black Ghosts, Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti, Sleigh Bells, Foals.

I tried to think of bands with releases in this year or last year (some might be from 08 tho...) so your review is still relevant, hope I was of some service to ya
flotation toy warning deserves some credit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDmcDWIpRME&feature=related

jukebox the ghost is nice poppy music http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6adYimpXuk&feature=related

via audio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClV9MnoC86o

its not very new but the latest from pains of being pure at heart
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMyURfKRTEM

sparklehorse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btmycg_Pq4E

langhorne slim
this guy is the best live performer ive seen to this day. go see him if you can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRd8F3EqQWc&feature=related
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
Last edited by jiminizzle at Sep 25, 2010,
Modest Mouse
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
The Unicorns, Bloc Party, The Strokes, The Cribs, The Libertines, Arctic Monkeys, The Pigeon detectives are the very first few that spring to mind.
Wouldn't having your own indie music blog imply you already know about indie music?

Anyways, look into Minus the Bear, MGMT, Passion Pit, Phoenix, and so on. Check out Last.fm, it'll show you similar artists when you search for a certain band.
Belle and Sebastian, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, Local Natives, Wild Beasts.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Frightened Rabbit
The Twilight Sad
We Were Promised Jetpack
Meursault
Errors
There Will Be Fireworks
My Latest Novel
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by LightxGrenade
Passion Pit, Van-She, Empire of the Sun, Local Natives, Hockey, Company of Thieves, Broken Bells, The Black Ghosts, Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti, Sleigh Bells, Foals.

He said "new bands".

The Drums are just having a breakthrough, if you read exclaim newspaper, you would probably know them. The Courteeners, who have a couple really good songs. And lastly, The Rakes.

I'd suggest trying the site "last.fm". You can type in some bands that you like and then through programming, they find bands that are similar to the ones you listen to.
Who starts a blog called "goodindiemusic" and then asks other people to tell them what bands to put on it? Isn't that kinda counter-intuitive?
I'm an asshole.
Quote by TJM2482
Wouldn't having your own indie music blog imply you already know about indie music?

Anyways, look into Minus the Bear, MGMT, Passion Pit, Phoenix, and so on. Check out Last.fm, it'll show you similar artists when you search for a certain band.

Yes. That is true, but there is so much music out there that one individual can find on his own. I'm always open to find more and that is why I came here.
Quote by lookpizza
Who starts a blog called "goodindiemusic" and then asks other people to tell them what bands to put on it? Isn't that kinda counter-intuitive?

Like what I mentioned earlier, there are so many indie bands out there. I might post on the bands that I am currently liking, but I'm sure there are still bands out there that I don't know of. Lighten up a bit.
Okay, well there are the obvious Indie Rock Bands like The Killers (and Brandon Flowers), Kaiser Chiefs (basically any english band is Indie - don't want to generalise but yeah) Phoenix, Franz Ferdinand, Vampire Weekend, The Wombats.

Also for more slow Indie - Mumford and sons, Elbow, James Blunt (?) and Bowling for Soup (maybe more punk rock but meh).

But I would definately recommend New Zealands 'Evermore' - early stuff is more indie, new stuff is more alternative but are fracken awesome!

My fave bands of Indie would be - The Killers and the Kaiser Chiefs: if that helps you. Definately should listen to the killers and evermore though!

Comment back if try them out, and tell me what you think!
of Montreal - amazing ?phsychedelic soul?
Portugal. The Man - just good indie rock
OK Go - maybe not so indie but awesome
Sigur Ros - just beautiful
Grizzly Bear - orchestral pop indie
Spoon - minimalistic loop friendly
Caribou - psychedelic, retro friendly(yet very new sounding) check out the song Melody Day
Dr Dog - Beatles meets Zombies meets the Band
Apples In Stereo - just heard their newest album...i think theyre big ELO fans...
Animal Collective and Arcade Fire are starting to get noticed more so im sure youve heard them but i thought i should mention them just in case
Midlake - compared to Jethro Tull...a lot
My Morning Jacket - uhh, good countryish/soulish/rockish/pretty music?
Noah and the Whale - two albums by them, each sound like two different bands
also can i put Radiohead on here? i mean they are independant now...
Bloc Party is your staple indie band, as they're always fun to listen to and don't get old fast. They're also about as indie you can get without being a hipster.

The Xcerts are a fairly unknown band from Scotland, good if you're rock/pop/alternitive oriented.

Lastly, Los Campesinos! are good if your appreciate long intros, multiple band members, and some pop-punkish moments.
Quote by eazy-c
Frightened Rabbit
The Twilight Sad
We Were Promised Jetpack
Meursault
Errors
There Will Be Fireworks
My Latest Novel

Keeping it in the homeland I see haha

I second Frightened Rabbit from these (the others are also worth checking out), as well as recommending;

Grizzly Bear
Modest Mouse
Devendra Banhart
Dirty Projectors
Sufjan Stevens
Beck
Bat For Lashes
Quote by Horizontal
He said "new bands".

The Drums are just having a breakthrough, if you read exclaim newspaper, you would probably know them. The Courteeners, who have a couple really good songs. And lastly, The Rakes.

I'd suggest trying the site "last.fm". You can type in some bands that you like and then through programming, they find bands that are similar to the ones you listen to.

The majority of the bands he mentioned are pretty new......
Certainly newer than The Courteeners and The Rakes anyway. Also I'd advise not listening to The Courteeners or The Rakes. Awful, awful bands.
Quote by EJinCho
Hello everyone,

So I recently started an Indie Music blog. I'm always looking for new bands to discover. Anyone have any recommendations?

Please check out my blog and tell what you think. If you like what you see, please follow!

GoodIndieMusic.blogspot.com

Hey, check this band out, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67OoeR5PSSY , they are releasing album next year! PEACE

Quote by lookpizza
Who starts a blog called "goodindiemusic" and then asks other people to tell them what bands to put on it?

Someone who isn't a self-obsessed ass. He's looking for suggestions to expand his scope, not someone to do the work for him. It's called "goodindiemusic" not "bandsilikeandnothingelse."

And here's my recommendations (some have already been mentioned, but deserve a second mention):
Death From Above 1979
Of Montreal
The Faint
Broken Social Scene
Holy Fuck
The Hold Steady

And Arcade Fire and The Flaming Lips are indie staples in my book, so if you haven't heard them, walk, don't run, to your nearest proprietor of music(or youtube) and have a listen.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by eazy-c
Frightened Rabbit
The Twilight Sad
We Were Promised Jetpack
Meursault
Errors
There Will Be Fireworks
My Latest Novel

Add Popup to this list.
What are some good female fronted indie bands? Already know Metric and The Kills
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Quote by 08L1V10N
What are some good female fronted indie bands? Already know Metric and The Kills

I'm a little unclear on what qualifies as "indie", but I'm a fan of Warpaint:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOFxb0F2F2A

and Bat For Lashes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00ZHah-c0hQ

I really can't STAND Metric though, so we may have entirely different definitions of "good".
Quote by 08L1V10N

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs
The Dead Weather
You Say Party! (formerly You Say Pary! We Say Die!)
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Rainer Maria
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
The Joy Formidable*
Land Of Talk*
Wye Oak*
Sons and Daughters*
Howling Bells*
Wolf Parade
Sunset Rubdown
Metric*
Eisley*
The Black Keys?(not sure if there actually "indie" or not, but their awesome)

*female fronted
I play guitar.
Quote by 08L1V10N

Velocity Girl
Sleater-Kinney
An Horse
Reverie Sound Revue
Weeping Tile
Page 1 of 2