Page 1 of 7
List your genre elitist stereotypes that seem to be surprisingly true when you actually think about it.

Country fans: Tend to be incredibly hard drinking "red necks" (you know what I mean) who would die before changing the station on the radio. Most drive pickup trucks

Metalheads: Tend to be assholes, majority ranging in age from 12-20. Unreasonable elitists unwilling to even consider that other music exists.

*disclaimer. this thread does not represent ALL fans of the genres, just the extreme elitists. we all know one*

Go!
Classical fans : Higher education, posh, think anything with guitars has no artistic merit, don't get them started on pop or electronic music.
Indie Rock fans who all have jewfros, wear big, ugly frames (without lenses), listen to Modest Mouse, Pavement, worship Thom Yorke, and look down on other genres of music.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
metalheads- worship satan, burn churches, make necklaces from the bones of dead band members etc
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
All genre's: The best band a musician knows is his own, everyone else is crap.
Quote by Colgate Total
Indie Rock fans who all have jewfros, wear big, ugly frames (without lenses), listen to Modest Mouse, Pavement, worship Thom Yorke, and look down on other genres of music.

Don't forget they all wear jeans, polo shirts and cardigans that are 3 sizes too small.
Psychedelic rock fans: are awesome.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Everyone who listens to pop music: mindless drones who cannot think for themselves and think any other kind of music is evil or shit
Quote by metal4life34
Everyone who listens to pop music: mindless drones who cannot think for themselves and think any other kind of music is evil or shit

honestly i think thats about as accurate as what i said about all metalheads
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
Quote by metal4life34

On the topic of pop music: at uni the other day, a girl tried to tell me Katy Perry's California Girls is "actually kinda deep." I lol'd.

On another topic:

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Last edited by -xCaMRocKx- at Sep 25, 2010,
r'n'b is gods punishment on man and those that like it will go straight to hell.
Jazz - Think they are the coolest thing ever and any music with some structure is shit and unemotional.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by metal4life34

What of those who enjoy pop music AND other music?
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
On the topic of pop music: at uni the other day, a girl tried to tell me Katy Perry's California Girls is "actually kinda deep." I lol'd.

On another topic:

does anyone else think the kid second from left looks like cliff burton??
Quote by Gaiad
What of those who enjoy pop music AND other music?

Oh, i meant that just towards the pop elitists, not everyone who listens to pop i guess.

AAnd thank you Lt. Shinysides, yet another thread youve made that is bound for awesomeness
Rap elitists...uhh...hmm...

...do what hard rock elitists do but claim their music is not just noise?

And hard rock elitists claim that rap is just noise...?
Hipsters:

Indie rock
Folk/pop
Dubstep
Anything remotely related to MGMT

Sometimes I hate this city.
Rap elitists are mainly black and claim it's all about the poetry. yet still listen to cars about cars.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by JackalUK
Classical fans : Higher education, posh, think anything with guitars has no artistic merit, don't get them started on pop or electronic music.

What about classical guitar music?

Prog fans: Tend to be white, in their teens to twenties, play an instrument, usually spend an inordinate amount of time practicing said instrument, like to boast about the time signatures they can play in, tend to dislike anything entirely or primarily in 4/4 on principle, fancy themselves as listeners of the most advanced music on Earth, take for granted the concept/metanarrative of "progress," don't care about lyrics, also don't care about harmony (as demonstrated by the fact that few of them know any music theory beyond modes), still claim that they listen to better music than you.
Quote by The_Sophist
Jazz - Think they are the coolest thing ever and any music with some structure is shit and unemotional.

The only jazz without structure is free jazz, and even then, that's often not the case (Ornette Coleman being a great example). Just because jazz is largely improvised doesn't mean it doesn't have structure. Generally in jazz, you have a tune, and you play the melody (or "head") of the tune, and then you improvise over the chord changes to that tune for several choruses (a chorus being a single time through; the origins of this date back to early 20th century popular song, in which there was a short "verse" section before the "chorus" section that functioned as an introduction to the main part of the song, which is the chorus section; Broadway songs often follow this format even today), and once you're done, you let someone else do the same. Once everyone who's going to solo is done, the head is played again.

There are other structures, often seen in fusion, where there are one or more solo sections within the structure of a composition, but the head-solo-head format is the most common one.
75% of the people around here (ages 14-25)

If it doesn't have a br00talz drop Q breakdown, it isn't worth even trying to listen to.

I wish it was easier for a prog band to take off around here

EDIT: Also some very closed-minded people who shun a band for making a music video and "selling out" and if the band has more than seven fans, they're too mainstream.
Quote by AlecMag
I love that song! You are god for putting it into a poem

Quote by LadyHellRaiser
Your hair is fckin epic, dude!!!

LOVE IT!!!!

Quote by rmr024
no ****in way!
I don't even know you but I think I love you...

So awesome.

I hate my fucking username.
Last edited by Guitarman015 at Sep 25, 2010,
Metalheads: Anime fans for some reason or others
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by Cianyx

I've noticed this somewhat. Metalheads are often at least somewhat nerdy, so that might have something to do with it.

*not a metalhead; pretty big anime fan*
Quote by Cianyx

You should have seen when the topic of anime came up in the off topic thread in the metal forum.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
The metalheads around here are just assholes and/or dirty for the most part. I don't think any of them are anime fans. However there was one instance where I noticed a shit ton of Durarara fans in my area on an international site
Quote by Colgate Total

Oh this is so true.

Best bet to be awesome is to think with your own head & go outside your musical comfort zones once in a while
Quote by itorch
Guitar players.....gear obsessed. (me included)

Well, gear is at least half the fun
indie fans - pretentious, love thom yorke, jizz when listening to animal collective, feel smarter than fans of other genres
Quote by Holy Katana
What about classical guitar music?

Prog fans: Tend to be white, in their teens to twenties, play an instrument, usually spend an inordinate amount of time practicing said instrument, like to boast about the time signatures they can play in, tend to dislike anything entirely or primarily in 4/4 on principle, fancy themselves as listeners of the most advanced music on Earth, take for granted the concept/metanarrative of "progress," don't care about lyrics, also don't care about harmony (as demonstrated by the fact that few of them know any music theory beyond modes), still claim that they listen to better music than you.

Most of them don't even know that properly...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
grunge fans think their music is so great because it's so pure and direct and meaningful, while they fail to notice it's mostly white noise.
The classic rock fan that refuses to acknowledge the merit of anything after 1979

Edit: or before 1960
Check out my band Disturbed
@Holy_Katana. I know all that, I just mean when they put down music because it isn't improvised, so it automatically can't ilicit emotion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Prog fans; Think they are superior to...well everything. They are convinced that their music is 'deeper' and more 'complex' than everyone else's but don't really have any understanding of the music itself.

Metalheads: Teenage nerds who think that bpm is more important than good song or lyric writing. Think that chords and most other musical theory is a waste of time.

SUB-GROUP ALERT!

Metal-core-heads: Teenagers (see Metalheads) who also think that chugging on the open A# string in 16th notes at 210bpm is the greatest thing to happen to music.

Classical fans: I would give my opinion, but I'm likely not privileged enough to discuss them. Generally stuck up and think that anything that doesn't solely have a piano or string orchestra is just noise.

Death-metal fans: Are deaf. Also hate bands that have more than 12 listeners.

Pop-Rock fans: Fall under the category of 'scene kids'. They think they're being original and unique in listening to pop-rock but really they're just a few years behind everyone else in musical maturity.

I like all of the above genres Other than death metal.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Last edited by Todd Hart at Sep 25, 2010,
Off topic sorta. But Classical and Jazz elitists I've seen are actually bigger cunts than the biggest metal elitsts.

I would say that they actually live up to their stereotypes.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by The_Sophist

whenever someone says that (i play almost all genres so w/e ) i say "hey, it does have a structure: theres the A section, and the B section, and the C, and D, and E..."
and yeah, the above posts: jazz elists are complete cunts. they neer give the newer players a chance. thats just myexperiences though: i lack the sufficient chops to challege another jazz player yet.

Pop Music fans: metal music is shit because it has no emotion or melody.

EDIT: most musicians: pop music is disposable garbage with no talent.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Sep 25, 2010,