Recently, I've been getting interested into a lot of Djent. Periphery, Meshuggah, Volumes, some underground bands. And I recently came across a local band that classifies themselves as just 'Djent'. Nothing else. Maybe 'Djentcore' but that's about it. My friend plays guitar for them, and he has this insane pedal board set up to get his Djenty tone. But, he asked me if I'd like to play bass for the band. I said sure and I'll be using his SR305 until I can afford a 5 string bass of my own. But I'm going to have to buy my own pedals and figure out how to get the Djenty bass tone that I hear. Any tips/help?
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
I actually spoke to Meshuggahs bass player, Gustaf Hielm - the one on records like Chaosphere - and asked him about his tone.
He uses a simple OD, the key is in the picking technique. I think he uses the EBS Multidrive atm for a similiar tone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZX9IJFP7l4

A clinic with said bass player, where he plays a Sol Niger Within-medley.
Maruszczyk Jake X Redburst
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl
Ashdown MAG300H + Ashdown 1x15 (Eminence Delta 15)

Believing Carlos!
I jammed with the rest of the band yesterday and I have a very similar picking style. I also added a few palm mutes while we were messing around. It sounded good, but I don't have that distorted, djenty tone that Gustaf has. The tone I get with my Direct Box is similar, but not as...bassy I guess. I want that tone. Periphery's bassist has a similar tone, and I freaking love it.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Quote by Nolanrox
I jammed with the rest of the band yesterday and I have a very similar picking style. I also added a few palm mutes while we were messing around. It sounded good, but I don't have that distorted, djenty tone that Gustaf has. The tone I get with my Direct Box is similar, but not as...bassy I guess. I want that tone. Periphery's bassist has a similar tone, and I freaking love it.

I think that alot of the "push" that you hear from the bass is actually the bass locking dead tight with the drummer. If you listen to the records, the bass is not as audible except for the fact that the drumming patterns enhance them somewhat.
I get the same impression from Peripherys latest album.
At 0:11 into the clip it doesn't sound as djenty as it sounds purely distorted I think.
5:10 into the clip it gets that much more intense when he locks with the prerecorded track. It makes alot of the "tone" I reckon.

EDIT: I'll bring out my EBS MD and see if I can do anything with it...

EDIT2: I actually managed to quickly get a semi-authentic sound, close to the one used at the clinic. I used my Multidrive in passive mode with my active Woodo, turned the drive just below midway and volume at whatever. Then I just plucked the strings in an agressive manner.
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl

Believing Carlos!
Last edited by Lilldjuret at Sep 25, 2010,
Alright. I've noticed that Periphery's bass is in rhythm with the bass drum during most of the songs, but it goes with the tone of the guitar. He plays with the guitarists, but at the pace of the kick. So you're right, that's probably what gives it that bassy, thumpy tone. I get a similar tone playing near the bridge on my p-bass.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Quote by Nolanrox
Alright. I've noticed that Periphery's bass is in rhythm with the bass drum during most of the songs, but it goes with the tone of the guitar. He plays with the guitarists, but at the pace of the kick. So you're right, that's probably what gives it that bassy, thumpy tone. I get a similar tone playing near the bridge on my p-bass.

Hehe, Djent is killer. I hope to hear some recordings soon!
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl

Believing Carlos!
Quote by Lilldjuret
Hehe, Djent is killer. I hope to hear some recordings soon!

If these guys go along with it, for sure. I've been in and out of bands for like 4 months because people can't stick with a project for very long.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
It could also be that he uses a parallel effects chain. When you use OD, it limits the bandwidth of the signal, as a result, the bass frequencies get filtered out a bit, thus the loss of the 'bassy' tone. You could use a parallel effects chain and mix it with the original signal, this would retain the low end and at the same time give you the crunch/distortion you're looking for.
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.

Quote by hitman_47
It could also be that he uses a parallel effects chain. When you use OD, it limits the bandwidth of the signal, as a result, the bass frequencies get filtered out a bit, thus the loss of the 'bassy' tone. You could use a parallel effects chain and mix it with the original signal, this would retain the low end and at the same time give you the crunch/distortion you're looking for.

I know what you mean, but what would I have to use to get that? I have my Direct Box, is there anything I can add to it?
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Anyone have any idea? =\
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
You could try the Line Selector pedal by Boss. Or, if you really want to go all out, you can use an ABY box and have two seperate signals going to two seperate amps, with your clean signal going to one amp and the effected tone to another.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by Nolanrox
I know what you mean, but what would I have to use to get that? I have my Direct Box, is there anything I can add to it?

Idk the exact name of the device, but I was checking out a tone vid by this french blues guy and he was talking about some sort of series to parallel converter that you could plug into the back of your amp to give you the parallel effects chain.

I mainly play the guitar and have a Boss GT 10 which has a parallel effects chain function. Maybe a multi fx with similar features would help? I'm sure there is a cheap multi fx that you can use for something like this.

Alternatively, if you're using analog effects, and know a thing or two about soldering, you could make your own parallel chain. Its a fairly simple project.
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.