Looking for a noise gate.

I've done a lot of searching and I know that everyone is going to reply "buy an ISP decimator", but I don't want to spend that much money on a pedal I will only use at home and I'm not enough of a tone junkie to worry about the 'tone suckage'.

So my question is: Which pedal, NS-2 or the MXR Smart Gate.

The prices are about 65 pounds (UK) for the NS-2 and 95 for the MXR on the GAK. (around €85-€130 on Thomann)

Is the Smart Gate really worth the 30 quid (€45) difference?

It seems that they both suck a little bit of tone (as does the ISP, but maybe a little less), but the NS-2 can be put in front of the amp and in the loop at the same time (with a maze of wiring), so it seems to have more versatility. Having said that, MXR generally has a better reputation than Boss.

I need this pedal cause my amp is high-gain and hisses a lot, and would also be good to cut out noise from my Strat.

Thanks for any advice!
Ibanez AF105VB
Ibanez RG2550Z
MIM '92 Fender Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
MXR-108.
and that's it. done buying stuff. probably.
I have the ns-2 and i think its fine. sure its probably not the best noise supressor ever but its good for the price. A lot of people just hate it because its boss and they are popular. Boss pedals are not as bad as some people think. if they were they wouldnt sell so many.
Any noise supressor will suck tone a bit but i have never noticed a massive problem with it.
Its also good that you can power other pedals from it. and its a boss. so if you break it u have the strength of superman.
ok. good deal -thanks. I'll go for the NS-2.

Sometimes you just need people to tell you the obvious.
Ibanez AF105VB
Ibanez RG2550Z
MIM '92 Fender Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
MXR-108.
i haven't tried the smart gate.

regarding boss versus the decimator (you mentioned isp in there), the decimator is better, but the boss is cheaper- much cheaper if you want to use the x-connection method.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
NS-2. X Connection. /Thread.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by minnis
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/71675

Have you considered this?
If you have, fine, but i just wanted to make sure you consider all noise gates in the price range. Watch some vids of it on youtube, it seems pretty alrite

Nope. I hadn't. I'll check it out -thanks
Ibanez AF105VB
Ibanez RG2550Z
MIM '92 Fender Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
MXR-108.
Ok, I've checked out the EHX Hum Debugger as suggested, and it seems to mostly cut the single-coil hum. That would be good, but I also want to cut the hiss from the amp and pedals, so I'm thinking it's not what I'm after.

However, how about the Rockton Hush? That seems to get a lot of love.

Doesn't have the fancy X wiring though, so I think I'm still leaning towards the NS-2.
Ibanez AF105VB
Ibanez RG2550Z
MIM '92 Fender Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
MXR-108.
yeah i haven't tried it, but i thought the humdebugger was more for cutting single coil hum too. might not do what you want, in other words.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
How about copper shielding your guitar?
But back to the topic i don't see anything wrong with it
I like my NS-2 just fine. To be honest, I find it is a little sucky in the tonal area but it doesn't bother me too too much. I'd pick and ISP decimator over the NS-2 if you have the extra cash. If not, the NS-2 will suffice.
Ns-2 is ok but after having both i feel it's night and day how much better the decimator is. I have the normal one and it does the job and is incredibly simple. I found the ns-2 cut my notes out no matter what i did and when switching guitars it was a hassle. I bought twice because i wasn't happy at first so just something to consider.

If you wanna be cheap get the behringer gate, same as boss.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
Last edited by ChuggyMcBr00tlz at Sep 25, 2010,
NS-2 is perfectly fine for for me. It should be for you too.
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
ok, so let me get something straight. I currently use my Triumph 60 with an MXR 10-band in the fx loop. With the EQ pedal on the noise is horrendous, so I put the EQ level close to zero and turn up the amp volume, which controls the noise, but limits what I can do with the pedal.

So, I'm presuming a noise gate would solve this problem right? Cause if noise gates only cut noise when you're NOT playing, then would I still have all this hiss and hum when I play, or can the pedal cut out continuous hiss?

I ask cause some pedals have a HISS function, which I guess cuts out the hiss always, even when you are playing. Am I wrong on this?
Ibanez AF105VB
Ibanez RG2550Z
MIM '92 Fender Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
MXR-108.
Quote by MH400
I have an NS-2 and have no issues with it

same works fine for me. there a good pedal
Quote by finetune
ok, so let me get something straight. I currently use my Triumph 60 with an MXR 10-band in the fx loop. With the EQ pedal on the noise is horrendous, so I put the EQ level close to zero and turn up the amp volume, which controls the noise, but limits what I can do with the pedal.

So, I'm presuming a noise gate would solve this problem right? Cause if noise gates only cut noise when you're NOT playing, then would I still have all this hiss and hum when I play, or can the pedal cut out continuous hiss?

I ask cause some pedals have a HISS function, which I guess cuts out the hiss always, even when you are playing. Am I wrong on this?

I put my noisy pedals - Compressor, OD, Distortion, and EQ to the NS-2s loop and it's really quiet.
Gear
Fender Hotrod Deville 2x12
Fender MIM Strat | Epi Dot 335
Fulltone '69 mkii | Boss OD-1
'95 RAT2 | '78 IC Big Muff | DL4
Quote by ZeroChan
I put my noisy pedals - Compressor, OD, Distortion, and EQ to the NS-2s loop and it's really quiet.

You don't hear any hiss or noise even when you're playing?

Cause this is what bugs me. I'm going to put it in the effects loop of my noisy amp to cut down on the hiss. I can always hear this hiss in the background, even when I'm playing. When I play through the clean channel it's nice and quiet.

Also, I'm trying to figure out if I can put the NS-2 in my effects loop AND clamp down on the single-coil hum from my strat when I use that.

This is making my brain hurt, but would it go:

Guitar ---> NS-2 Input ---> NS-2 Output ---> Amp ---> FX Send ---> MXR108 ---> NS-2 Return ---> NS-2 Send ---> FX Return

Can you do it like this? Seems like it should work.

???
Ibanez AF105VB
Ibanez RG2550Z
MIM '92 Fender Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
MXR-108.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by finetune
You don't hear any hiss or noise even when you're playing?

Cause this is what bugs me. I'm going to put it in the effects loop of my noisy amp to cut down on the hiss. I can always hear this hiss in the background, even when I'm playing. When I play through the clean channel it's nice and quiet.

Also, I'm trying to figure out if I can put the NS-2 in my effects loop AND clamp down on the single-coil hum from my strat when I use that.

This is making my brain hurt, but would it go:

Guitar ---> NS-2 Input ---> NS-2 Output ---> Amp ---> FX Send ---> MXR108 ---> NS-2 Return ---> NS-2 Send ---> FX Return

Can you do it like this? Seems like it should work.

???

I don't use the 'x-connection' the other guys mention about so i don't know how that sounds. I used the NS-2's send/return loop for my noisy pedals as the manual states.

I set the threshold at 1:30 and decay at min (8:00), there is a huge reduction of amp and pedal hiss. It also reduces single coil hiss, but not totally.

EDIT: And yes, I don't hear any hiss when playing with a band or anything.
Gear
Fender Hotrod Deville 2x12
Fender MIM Strat | Epi Dot 335
Fulltone '69 mkii | Boss OD-1
'95 RAT2 | '78 IC Big Muff | DL4
Last edited by ZeroChan at Sep 26, 2010,
Quote by ZeroChan

+1 for being the only person I know of to use the ns-2 the way it was designed to be used!

-1 to anything related to the EHX hum debugger-whatever, great if you're getting 60sch (so is a groundlift adapter, about $2 at radioshack), but not a suitable gate.

the decimator is great
the MXR is good
the hush is ok
then there's the ns-2, which was never intended to be treated as a looped gate.

w/e, good luck.

btw, anyone ever heard of Luis McWhatthe****ever?

...yeah, didn't think so.
^ i've used it with pedals in its loop, but i prefer the x-connection. pedals in the ns2's loop only really cuts pedal hum, if you want to cut both pedal and amp noise you need to use the x-connection method (in my experience, anyway).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cool. I get it now. Thanks guys. Going for the NS-2. Looks like just the thing for my situation.
Ibanez AF105VB
Ibanez RG2550Z
MIM '92 Fender Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
MXR-108.
Quote by GrisKy
+1 for being the only person I know of to use the ns-2 the way it was designed to be used!

-1 to anything related to the EHX hum debugger-whatever, great if you're getting 60sch (so is a groundlift adapter, about $2 at radioshack), but not a suitable gate.

the decimator is great
the MXR is good
the hush is ok
then there's the ns-2, which was never intended to be treated as a looped gate.

w/e, good luck.

btw, anyone ever heard of Luis McWhatthe****ever?

...yeah, didn't think so.

Dude, you don't have to be so obstinate. It's obvious that it works, and it works really well at that. EMG's were never designed to be used for metal. Tube poweramp overdrive/distortion was an accident. Just because things aren't supposed to be used a certain way doesn't mean that new uses for gear can't be discovered or that they won't work.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I would get something better than a boss NS-2. Decimator is good. Something with a smart gating feature is good.
Quote by Offworld92
Dude, you don't have to be so obstinate. It's obvious that it works, and it works really well at that. EMG's were never designed to be used for metal. Tube poweramp overdrive/distortion was an accident. Just because things aren't supposed to be used a certain way doesn't mean that new uses for gear can't be discovered or that they won't work.

hey man, your tone, do your thing, but just because you hear less noise doesn't mean it's doing good things to your signal.

I am getting really sick of propagated myths on this forum, the (in)famous x-pattern being one of the worst.

Lets just ASSUME your front loaded noise floor is exactly the same as the noise generated by the amp so that a single threshold pot will adequately affect both (but I'm willing to bet big money that's NOT the case, and one side of your signal is suffering because of that).

record something with your x-pattern and without it, then compare the wavelengths.

in the meantime I'll continue to use what really works (and works really well).
Last edited by GrisKy at Sep 26, 2010,
Quote by GrisKy
in the meantime I'll continue to use what really works (and works really well).

which is? (edit: two noise gates?)
Ibanez AF105VB
Ibanez RG2550Z
MIM '92 Fender Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
MXR-108.
Last edited by finetune at Sep 27, 2010,
Quote by finetune
which is? (edit: two noise gates?)

In a sense, yes.
I'm currently using the ISP DPRG, which is two seperate gates in one rack mount unit, but the first gate is specifically intended for your frontloaded signal, whereas the 2nd gate is actively tracking the first, and is meant to go in your loop.