hello i am 11 and have been having lessons for a year now I like playing but I get bored of practicing at home just doing chords. Is there anything else I can practice I want to be abole to play some songs and read tabs. thanks
What are some of your favourite songs? Look them up on UG's homepage.
Quote by silent caution
When i was younger i used to pee in peoples shoes and blame their dog
yes I know that the number means the fret where you put your fingers but it just dont sound right or work
I always try to build a pattern with tabs.

Give me a song your trying to play, Is your guitar tuned?
any miley cyrus or camp rock I like. I also like metallica but i only have acustic I am getting an electric for christmas. I dont really mind which song i just want to be able to play something
Is your guitar in tune? Learn the difference between the different note lengths.
Quote by silent caution
When i was younger i used to pee in peoples shoes and blame their dog
Quote by alexhughes70
jessicarock, check your messages.

hi i cant see any messages sorry
Click on the profile button on the top right and you can see messages there.

You should download guitar pro, it plays it for you and it shows you the legnth of each note.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by jessicarock
yes I know that the number means the fret where you put your fingers but it just dont sound right or work

You're guitar is probably out of tune, mine was for the first 3 months of having it.

Be sure to check if the songs are in standard tuning, it will say at the beginning of the tab.
Take the tabs into your teacher. He/she is being payed to help you. let your teacher know what you want help with!
Quote by BlockFour
Take the tabs into your teacher. He/she is being payed to help you. let your teacher know what you want help with!

This guy has it right. The other guy's are right too, but this will probably help the best, as it is hard to explain things over the computer.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Don't you have to be like at least 13 or something before you can sign up to UG?
Perhaps you are not being challenged enough with your lessons. Talking to your teacher about might help.
you've been having lessons with a teacher for a year and they haven't showed you how to read tabs yet? :S
Quote by BoL7z
you've been having lessons with a teacher for a year and they haven't showed you how to read tabs yet? :S

I'd hope for her sake that if she's not learning tab, she's learning to read sheet music.

With tab, a big part of understanding it is that you have to already know how the song is supposed to sound. Many tabs are not notated with note lengths, and you have to be able to 'hear' the timing, and be able to play to that.

I'd suggest (if you can) to sing the guitar part you hear to da-da-da do-do-do type sounds. A longer note would be 'Daaa', a short one would be just a 'd-' etc.... If you can manage to do that, match the 'da's up with the numbers on a tab, and try and play the pattern of da's. This might be complicated if the guitar part is hard to hear, and depending on how fast you can play.
Last edited by Ali-b912 at Sep 26, 2010,
Get with a friend and jam, or try setting up a band. I always get bored learning songs at home for my band, but it's great when I'm with the band.
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL
Custom 2x12 G12H Extension Cab

Nevermind.........