So i often play metal, but that doesn't stop me from branching out and trying out different genres of music. I want to join my high school jazz band but it doesn't start until January, which leaves me time to learn all about jazz. I already have gear which is a Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe going to a Peavey Vypyr 30 and i have been playing for 2 1/2 years. I already have knowledge of arpeggios, pentatonics, all that stuff but i have a bit of trouble reading guitar chords. I have been playing trumpet for about 4-5 years but there are already a lot of trumpets signing up.

So basically, i want to know:
-The Basics
-Style of playing
-How to read chords (power chords etc)
Get a teacher that plays Jazz. Knowing chords is paramount in jazz guitar. It's 90% chords and 10% wanking on the chord changes, that still requires knowledge of the chords. Power chords, root and fifth, are most useful in jazz for knowing which notes you can omit from the chord you want to play as the bass player should be covering them. Start by learning the 7th harmonized scale (Cmaj7, Dm7, Em7, Fmaj7, Gdom7, Am7, Bm7b5) chords in at least 5 positions for all 12 keys. If you can't afford a teacher, try the jazzguitar.be website.
1a. Learn about harmony: how chords a constructed, how to play them in different positions/voicings on the fretboard.

1b. Learn about the ii-V-I progression. This progression is present almost everywhere in Jazz. Learn to play several ways of playing this progression.

2. Learn to play some jazz standards using your knowledge of chords acquired in 1.

3. Learn about chord inversions. Learn to play chord inversions across the fretboard, and for different string groups.

4. Learn about chord substitutions.

5. Move on to Jazz improvisation, melodic as well as harmonic.

Good luck!
Go to the Blues & Jazz section of the forum.
Gotta finish my work, then play some grooves, so I can turn my room into a house of blues...
I'm a progressive metal guitarist that branched out to jazz as well. Depending on what you want to do you'll need to:

- Know your chords. All of them, in different inversions, with alterations etc. etc. and where to get them on your guitar.
- Know how to read universal chord symbol. (For instance, a minor 7 chord can be written in any of the following: Xmi7, Xm7, X-7, Xmin7) etc.
- Know what scales you can play over which chords and which progressions.
- Know a couple of well know jazz standards by heart.
- Know how to construct chords.
- Know when to solo and when to stfu.

As well as knowing all of this, you'll need to be able to apply all of this as well in your playing. Now, this may seem very daunting, and frankly, it is, but it will ultimately make you a better playing, Start off easy and experiment with stuff. I'm not on the level that I can do all of this yet, but I will recommend you to get a Jazz Guitar teacher that can help you with a lot and listen, look at jazz players a lot, so you can learn from them.

Also, a very good book that I would recommend to anyone, playing any genre (though the book is mainly for jazz) is the book "Chord Scale Theory and Jazz Harmony" by Barrie Nettles & Richard Graf. (basic music theory knowledge is needed to fully understand the book's concept)

Good luck and enjoy your playing!
I do not want to have a signature anymore.