Hey guys, I need a small and light combo amp suitable for gigging/rehearsals. Don't need much headroom. I love the marshall 1974x but it's just not portable enough for me, I need to go on trains/busses with it. I also like the marshall class 5, which is portable, but that may be too quiet to compete with drums? The other amp I'm looking at is the cornell plexi 7, again maybe too quiet though.

Is there any sort of middle ground out there? Like something between the class 5 and the 18 watter?

Would relly appreciate any suggestions! Cheers!
Yeah i'm in the UK. I think most of the 18 watters are around 20kg, which will probably be too heavy. Are you suggesting that some builders may make a lighter cab and a lighter speaker? If so that sounds like a perfect option. Any suggestions for builders?

I did think about going to the fender princeton road with a pedal, but I do prefer the natural marshall overdrive. If I can't find anything I may have to go the fender route though.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!
Blackhearts are probably pretty close to being right, there's the Little Giant 5/3watt which can get pretty loud, but then there's the Handsome Devil 15/7watt. Maybe find some youtubes of it.

I'm not sure about availability in the UK though.
Cheers for the suggestion. I think that blackheart handsome devil is pretty much the size i'm looking for. Not convinced on the tone though, not bad, but not quite that plexi/jtm45 thing i'm looking for. Thanks again.
I think the 18w recommendation is good... as most 18w amps will sound very close to the 1974x. If weight is an issue, consider a neodymium speaker maybe? If it has to be really small, an 18w combo with a 10" neodymium speaker might do it (or just a regular, ceramic 10"er) - it would be possible to put the whole thing in a relatively small enclosure. You'd just need to find an amp builder to do it for you, and the sound wouldn't be completely authentic, but you'd get in the general ballpark for what you're asking.

Are you taking the amp to the same place on a regular basis? (Rehearsal space or so?) If yes, consider getting a cab for home and another cab for wherever you take the amp. Then you'd just have to buy a head instead of a combo. Some 18Wers (like the Valve Power, which is fairly popular on the forum among UK members) are very small and therefore easy to transport.
Yeah I think i'm going to go down that 18 watter route. I've e-mailed cornell,cornford and ceriatone asking if they can sort something out for me. No replies as of yet, i'm sure they will get back soon.

I think the neodymium speaker is a great idea Quailman. I don't suppose you know of any builders in the UK that may do the build for me? Thanks for the suggestions!
Does anybody know if a cranked blues junior with a boost pedal would get me into the tone territory i'm looking for? Cheers!
Fargen Miniplex Mark II. This thing is a beast. It's up to you if you can afford it though.
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
What's your budget? carrying all the components in a backup is a really hard task no mater what. What's the maximum weight? How big is your back pack?
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
What's your budget? carrying all the components in a backup is a really hard task no mater what. What's the maximum weight? How big is your back pack?

Who the **** carries a amp in a backpack?
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
i mean how else was the op gonna get it on a train or a bus??
european carry-all?
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
You're not going to be able to fit that in a backpack....
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by DanielShaw123
Yeah I think i'm going to go down that 18 watter route. I've e-mailed cornell,cornford and ceriatone asking if they can sort something out for me. No replies as of yet, i'm sure they will get back soon.

I think the neodymium speaker is a great idea Quailman. I don't suppose you know of any builders in the UK that may do the build for me? Thanks for the suggestions!

Even if you'd go with a normal ceramic-magnet speaker, the weight can be kept small if it's in a small enclosure with a 10"er (think Laney LC15/VC15, Fender Pro Junior). The Blues Junior has a 12" speaker btw. If it isn't too big for you, a regular 1x12" 18w clone would probably be alright as well. The Blues Junior will get you in the right ballpark even without a boost, but of course something like a Cornell will sound far better.

Btw, no matter what you do, you will end up with a weight between 10kg and 15kg. Gotta live with that.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 26, 2010,
cornford's not that great at answering emails, and i don't think they do custom work either- don't hold your breath for a reply, in other words.

EVA (english valve amps) and martamp/mjw could probably make you something, if you're willing to pay for it. Occasionally valvepower makes a combo version (12") at about £100 more (that's what they sell it for on ebay... whether it'd cost that if you asked them to make you one, I dunno)... I'm sure you could ask them to make you one with a neo speaker, or even a 10" version.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?