Okay, so I was wondering about the right way to hold the guitar neck, and I know it sounds really nooby but when I look at people like SRV, they hold the neck with their thumb actually hooked around the neck, which, when I try it, feels really uncomfortable and I can't stretch for shit. Any help here about whether I should just play the way I feel comfortable with, or get to grips (no pun intended) with the way described here would be really appreciated. Cheers.
I just hold the neck the way it feels comfortable, the only way I'd wrap my thumb over is if I was playind a Dminor or something near the high e-string.
it all depends on whats comfortable, personally i like wrapping my thumb around the neck, i use it to cheat on power chords for and u get used to it when your playing SRV or jimi hendrix, alot of the chords they use involve the thumb playing the low e string. when i was first starting to play my teacher however taught me to have my thumb halfway on the back of the neck, for me that was uncomfortble
Quote by GLORIOUSCAKE
Okay, so I was wondering about the right way to hold the guitar neck, and I know it sounds really nooby but when I look at people like SRV, they hold the neck with their thumb actually hooked around the neck, which, when I try it, feels really uncomfortable and I can't stretch for shit. Any help here about whether I should just play the way I feel comfortable with, or get to grips (no pun intended) with the way described here would be really appreciated. Cheers.

SRV and such have their thumb over the neck for playing some chords and so they can bend easily and a lot. Basically the chords and bends are all you should have your thumb over the neck for; apart from that having it behind, roughly in the middle, is where you should have your thumb.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Standard Neck Non-Drip Bottle, Wide-Neck Non-Drip Bottle, Wide-Neck Bottle with Handles and Non-Drip Nipple, Standard Neck Bottle with Handles and Non-Drip Nipple, 3-Stage Wide Neck Easy Grip Feeding System with Non-Drip Nipple.
Cups: No-Spill Sports Sipper, Insulated Soft Silicone Spout Cup, Soft Spout Easy Grip Cup, Gripper Cup with Soft Silicone Spout, Two-Handle Cup (10 oz), Tinted Mega Sipper w/o Flip-Top
Diamond Solitaire Rings
chris brown videos
Quote by GLORIOUSCAKE

SRV hooks his thumb over the neck to play Jimi-style barre chords.

When you try this technique at first, it will feel uncomfortable. However, it's a good idea to learn to be able to do this kind of thumb playing, as it allows you to do cool rhythm-style stuff (see, for example, http://www.theloneguitaristblog.com/beginner/jimi-hendrix-teach-rhythm-guitar/).

If you're having trouble playing thumb-type chords, initially, you can tune down to drop-D tuning. It puts your thumb in a less awkward position.
yeah john mayer does mostly too

But i cant finger most chords he does. He, i reckon along with steve vai and paul gilbert have the longest fingers ive ever friggin seen.
Gear:
Fender American Standard Strat
Zoom G5
Blackstar HT1 mini stack

Epiphone G400 SG Goth / with Emg 81 +85
LP kit
Jackson RR24m
Jackson Dk2M
Maton EM225c
Bugera 333XL
Randall RA412XL
ISP Decimator G String
Boss Tu-2
Boss RC-2
Another thing to remember is that both Jimi and Stevie both had ENORMOUS hands - if you're hands aren't big enough then you're not going to be able to utilise the thumb over the fretboard technique for everything as it's going to restrict your range of motion.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I, personally, dont ever hook my thumb around the neck. i just simply have my thumbe about halfway down the neck. that way, its much easier to press on the low and hi e strings without struggling, but its relatively different for everyone.
Quote by rajgpl059
Standard Neck Non-Drip Bottle, Wide-Neck Non-Drip Bottle, Wide-Neck Bottle with Handles and Non-Drip Nipple, Standard Neck Bottle with Handles and Non-Drip Nipple, 3-Stage Wide Neck Easy Grip Feeding System with Non-Drip Nipple.
Cups: No-Spill Sports Sipper, Insulated Soft Silicone Spout Cup, Soft Spout Easy Grip Cup, Gripper Cup with Soft Silicone Spout, Two-Handle Cup (10 oz), Tinted Mega Sipper w/o Flip-Top
Diamond Solitaire Rings
chris brown videos

What is this I don't even?
Quote by steven seagull
Another thing to remember is that both Jimi and Stevie both had ENORMOUS hands - if you're hands aren't big enough then you're not going to be able to utilise the thumb over the fretboard technique for everything as it's going to restrict your range of motion.

+1 to this! i hear alot about the thumb in the middle, BUT...if you are like me and have MUTANT! hands! the thumb will stick up and sometimes overlap. i have monstrous hands! placing my hand against my wife's, i can fold my fingers completely over her finger tips my hands are so damn big!

but if your hands are adverage, then its best just keeping it in the middle. Unless you are like me and your hands are a result of aliens sleeping with your mother...