so i am going to be going to school for guitar repair and building. i also want to know the ins and outs of amps and pedals. my goal in life is either to work in a guitar shop and maybe have my own side business working with amps and gear and what not. ive seen people online who mod and repair people's gear. but i dont really know where to get started. theres lots of sites online where you can find mod kits and all that. but i really want to know the ins and outs of the circuits and what not. like some people can open up an amp and know exactly what does what and what could make it better.

so my question is does anyone know of any courses either online or not (in canada though) that deal with this stuff? maybe some sort of electronics course? ive been looking around but i cant find anything specific to amps and guitar related electronics.
Take some electrical engineering type courses, and then apply it to guitar. There might be a class specifically on amplification and waves or something, but again your going to need some basic electrical knowledge with it and then apply it to guitar equipment.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Electronics Engineering courses would teach you about solid state amps, some Mechanical Engineering courses for tube.
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Quote by Robbin'TheHood
Electronics Engineering courses would teach you about solid state amps, some Mechanical Engineering courses for tube.

I have no idea where you're pulling this from, there is hardly anything mechanical about tubes. It's still in the realm of electrical engineering.
^I was thinking more about pedals than tube amps, I figured it was a better place to start as TS doesn't seem to have the strongest background knowledge.

EDIT: twas aimed at robinhood.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
You're really not going to find one course that will teach you what you want to know. Audio theory (for electronics) is actually fairly high level stuff. Even a basics circuits course won't really approach that topic.

What you will learn from a basic circuits course is pretty much Ohms law and how to analyze passive circuits ( a little on op-amps too). Even basic circuits courses have prerequisites, like calculus. So unless you're an engineering major, it's unlikely you'll get into a course.

Honestly, your best bet is to learn some basics about circuits (ohms law and kirchoff's laws from wikipedia), and just read as many amp/pedal build logs as you can. The internet is so full of build logs, any monkey can assemble a pedal now days by following pictures (not implying this is a bad thing, it's a great thing).
Last edited by earthwormjim at Sep 25, 2010,
Geofex.com .... It has... everything.

But aside from that, TS, if you really wanna learn, join a DIY forum or 3 just for stompboxes, and just lurk. There are plenty of places that offer kits. The resource thread includes many-a-golden links.

Read through the ultimate pedal building thread's first page, click on a few things ect.

Oh, and be willing to spend a few years learning the beginning stuff

p.s. wikipedia is actually good for this sorta thing too.
thanks guys. i was thinking probably just doing it and reading online would probably be my best bet. i guess ill need to get started. im actually going to be building a one knob fuzz soon when i get all the right parts. i hear thats a good place to start as they arent to complicated and i got my hands on a one knob treble boost pedal free.
Quote by earthwormjim
Honestly, your best bet is to learn some basics about circuits (ohms law and kirchoff's laws from wikipedia), and just read as many amp/pedal build logs as you can. The internet is so full of build logs, any monkey can assemble a pedal now days by following pictures (not implying this is a bad thing, it's a great thing).

wikipedia is suprisingly good for circuit basics. im an electrical engineer and i still refer to it often for things i dont quite remember or for equations i need. just reading through the concept sections for a few basic concepts (ohms law, kirchoff's laws) and then the articles for the basic components will get you a nice start.

of course it is highly beneficial to have sort of teacher for a lot of this stuff once you hit things that are complex. you may not exactly need a teacher and can get through things on your own, but someone you can ask questions is nice. i recomend at least a community college course if you can.
Most of the advice above is good. Start with simple circuits, learn what each component does and how they interact together. Then you can work your way up to more complex circuits. A fuzz face is pretty simple. That'd be a good circuit to analyze.

As for tubes, I have a tube resource thread (in my sig). It's not complete, but it may give you an idea about what's going on in there. I also have links to other websites that deal with tube tech.