Hey guys,
I've been playing electric for nearly three years now and bass for about a year and im looking to get an acoustic now. I seem to find myself skipping learning songs because they just dont sound right played on an electric through the clean channel, and since i have some money i thought why not!

I dont really know too much about acoustics, so im looking for opinions on models within my price range.. I cant really get to a music store near me since i cant drive yet and im usually home alone a lot. So far i've seen some Martin DX1'S which i quite like, but cant really comment since i havnt played them.

Thanks,
UnseenBucket.
the best advice i can give you is to play as many guitar as you can above your budget and below your budget and find the one you like best
ibanez acoustics are pretty good imo
Last edited by supersac at Sep 25, 2010,
i don't like the martin x series guitars - they're made with what martin calls HPL (high pressure laminate) that's more like particle board than actual laminate. while it allows for deep lows, it cannot be fixed if it cracks, is more susceptible to weather changes and has less overtones than regular laminate guitars.

seagull would be one of my favorites in this price range. here's the original s6 with electronics
http://www.thomann.de/gb/seagull_s6_the_original_q1.htm
i cannot recommend the original s6 enough. it sounds great, feels great, and is good quality with a nice semi gloss finish.

if you want a silvery sound, gloss finish, nice build quality, narrower neck - here's the acoustic electric version of the yamaha fg730s
http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_fgx730sc_nat.htm

and here's a guitar i haven't gotten to play yet, but i've heard very good things about it from people who not only own it, but know guitars. it's got an englemann spruce top (i LOVE the sound of englemann) and a 1 3/4 nut perfect for fingerpicking.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_ll6_nt.htm

epiphone masterbilt - not my favorite due to some qc issues, but all solid and sounds pretty good. http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_dr500_me.htm

also good is the taylor big baby (very plain, bright sound, nice overall).

i'd suggest avoiding ibanez, dean, fender and epiphone except for the masterbilt line.

btw, if you run into the guild GAD-25 in your price range, and you might, i'd definitely recommend it over the other guitars in the list as it's all solid and very nicely built. i own a smaller GAD, the GAD-f20, and i can't even begin to tell you how nice it is, and that's before i take the price into account.
Last edited by patticake at Sep 25, 2010,
Quote by UnseenBucket
Hey guys,
I've been playing electric for nearly three years now and bass for about a year and im looking to get an acoustic now. I seem to find myself skipping learning songs because they just dont sound right played on an electric through the clean channel, and since i have some money i thought why not!

I dont really know too much about acoustics, so im looking for opinions on models within my price range.. I cant really get to a music store near me since i cant drive yet and im usually home alone a lot. So far i've seen some Martin DX1'S which i quite like, but cant really comment since i havnt played them.

Thanks,
UnseenBucket.

UK
£500

Hmmm...can anyone think what I will say?

If you want all solid wood, hard case, electronics, cutaway, fine sound and awesome looking, then you need to be buying a Faith Guitar.

Your budget puts you in the "Eclipse" range, which are black lacquer with maple binding. Probably a venus. Google Faith Guitars, see their links to Youtube...you can't CAN'T buy better for your £500....and even more expensive guitars, might not match up.

If you do a search in this forum, you will see loads of links and pics I have put up...arsed right now, been building a model Spitfire all day and I'm knackered.

Oh...go on then...

Scroll down for pics and info

Link
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Sep 25, 2010,
damnit! forgot faith again!

haven't tried 'em, but have only heard good things - definitely worth consideration.
Quote by Skeet UK
UK
£500

Hmmm...can anyone think what I will say?

If you want all solid wood, hard case, electronics, cutaway, fine sound and awesome looking, then you need to be buying a Faith Guitar.

Your budget puts you in the "Eclipse" range, which are black lacquer with maple binding. Probably a venus. Google Faith Guitars, see their links to Youtube...you can't CAN'T buy better for your £500....and even more expensive guitars, might not match up.

If you do a search in this forum, you will see loads of links and pics I have put up...arsed right now, been building a model Spitfire all day and I'm knackered.

Oh...go on then...

Scroll down for pics and info

http://www. ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1362600

Reading elsewhere, my mind is quite set on the faith eclipse saturn, its literally perfect for what im looking for.
One question though, will it be good for John Mayer type stuff? Im quite keen on learning Neon.
Thanks
Last edited by UnseenBucket at Sep 27, 2010,
Quote by UnseenBucket
Reading elsewhere, my mind is quite set on the faith eclipse saturn, its literally perfect for what im looking for.
One question though, will it be good for John Mayer type stuff? Im quite keen on learning Neon.
Thanks

Can't say I am overly familiar with Mr Mayer's work, but I am sure others are. Did you check the clip from Rob Brydons show, he is playing an Eclipse Saturn, good close ups and being the only instrument. Oh, too late actually, only there for a week on iPlayer.

Where abouts do you live in the UK? Be aware, that shops CAN do a deal on them.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Quote by Skeet UK
Can't say I am overly familiar with Mr Mayer's work, but I am sure others are. Did you check the clip from Rob Brydons show, he is playing an Eclipse Saturn, good close ups and being the only instrument. Oh, too late actually, only there for a week on iPlayer.

Where abouts do you live in the UK? Be aware, that shops CAN do a deal on them.

I live in a village around 15 minutes away from Milton Keynes in Buckinghamshire.
Quote by UnseenBucket
I live in a village around 15 minutes away from Milton Keynes in Buckinghamshire.

Dealer lists

Any guitar store who deals with Barnes & Mullins can get you a Faith guitar.

I paid cash £100 below the internet prices, about £150 below the RRP on a £730 Venus, so they can do a deal if you ask them.

Word of warning.

The NEW Eclipse guitars only have a 12th fret marker (other than side dots). If anyone tries to sell you one with diamond inlays, it is OLD stock and NOT ALL SOLID.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Last edited by Skeet UK at Sep 27, 2010,
Quote by Skeet UK
Dealer lists

Any guitar store who deals with Barnes & Mullins can get you a Faith guitar.

I paid cash £100 below the internet prices, about £150 below the RRP on a £730 Venus, so they can do a deal if you ask them.

Word of warning.

The NEW Eclipse guitars only have a 12th fret marker (other than side dots). If anyone tries to sell you one with diamond inlays, it is OLD stock and NOT ALL SOLID.

Thing is, most of those dealers are quite away from me.. I honestly dont mind paying £470 for it, it seems worth it!
Quote by UnseenBucket
Thing is, most of those dealers are quite away from me.. I honestly dont mind paying £470 for it, it seems worth it!

Yeah...online? Where are you looking?
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Quote by Skeet UK
Yeah...online? Where are you looking?

http://www.guitar.co.uk/guitars/electro-acoustic/2165-fecs_saturn_cutaway_electro_eclipse_series_guitar
£475 here!

edit: thats on pre-order.. my bad
http://www.giggear.co.uk/p/Faith-Eclipse-FECS-Saturn/
this place has it at £490

edit2: its £467 here: http://www.djmmusic.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=FECS
ive never used these guys before though..
Last edited by UnseenBucket at Sep 27, 2010,
Quote by UnseenBucket

edit2: its £467 here: http://www.djmmusic.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=FECS
ive never used these guys before though..

DJM are near me. They aren't a shop as such, but they do supply schools and so on, so you should be pretty safe. They are nice on the phone too, so give them a call.

See what they can chuck in for you, spare set of Elixirs or something perhaps (12-53).

You might also want to contact my mate Paul at WestMount music, and ask him for an Oasis Guitar humidifier and Hygrometer kit. This will allow you to monitor humidity inside the guitar case and the humidifier, will keep it where it should be. Because this is an all solid guitar, you DO need to keep an eye on humidity, otherwise you could have problems over time.

If you want any advice on that, PM me or post up here.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Quote by Skeet UK
DJM are near me. They aren't a shop as such, but they do supply schools and so on, so you should be pretty safe. They are nice on the phone too, so give them a call.

See what they can chuck in for you, spare set of Elixirs or something perhaps (12-53).

You might also want to contact my mate Paul at WestMount music, and ask him for an Oasis Guitar humidifier and Hygrometer kit. This will allow you to monitor humidity inside the guitar case and the humidifier, will keep it where it should be. Because this is an all solid guitar, you DO need to keep an eye on humidity, otherwise you could have problems over time.

If you want any advice on that, PM me or post up here.

Ah thats pretty good to know then!

How much will all the humidifying stuff cost?
Quote by UnseenBucket
Ah thats pretty good to know then!

How much will all the humidifying stuff cost?

They do a kit. You want the case humidifier and the hygrometer kit for about £30.

(Invalid img)

Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Quote by Skeet UK
They do a kit. You want the case humidifier and the hygrometer kit for about £30.

(Invalid img)

Sweet, how can i order it?
Quote by UnseenBucket
Sweet, how can i order it?

Out of stock at mo, but call Paul

They do the case version, which you clip inside the case (like I have) or they do the soundhole version, which is suspended between the strings, but...you won't have room in your case (above the guitar) so get the case version. Tell him Gary Brooks sent you

The Hygrometer/Thermometer, clips onto the flap of the accessory box in the case, I can show you pics of mine when you have them if you like.

I can give you advice on how to calibrate it, how to use it etc. I found I did not need it up to now (as the humidity was fine) but when you start putting the heating on in your house over winter, it dries the air out and you will need it.

Worth waiting for if he doesn't have any, better than any other version you can buy (Planet Waves etc)
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Last edited by Skeet UK at Sep 30, 2010,
I'm in the exact same situation as you TS! Skeet, you are rather persuasive with the Faith brand

Only problen I have is that I have nowhere to sample any guitars so its purely what I see on youtube and reading reviews.

Edit. Oh shiiii.....just found a local shop that stocks a load of awesome acoustics including Faith
Last edited by sugar_daddy at Oct 2, 2010,
Quote by sugar_daddy
I'm in the exact same situation as you TS! Skeet, you are rather persuasive with the Faith brand

Only problen I have is that I have nowhere to sample any guitars so its purely what I see on youtube and reading reviews.

Edit. Oh shiiii.....just found a local shop that stocks a load of awesome acoustics including Faith

Dude, if I have my way I will be selling them myself at some point.
I have looked at a great number of brands and for me, they offer the best value and performance.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
I should be receiving my faith guitar next week, however i have yet to call Paul about the humidifying gear!
Quote by UnseenBucket
I should be receiving my faith guitar next week, however i have yet to call Paul about the humidifying gear!

Sounds good. How did the purchase go, did they cut you any deal?

Don't forget to post up when you get it dude.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Quote by Skeet UK
Sounds good. How did the purchase go, did they cut you any deal?

Don't forget to post up when you get it dude.

Didnt call up in the end, just ordered online.
They're hopefully shipping it tomorrow since there's such high demand for the Esclipe series they're not getting any till tomorrow.
Quote by UnseenBucket
Didnt call up in the end, just ordered online.
They're hopefully shipping it tomorrow since there's such high demand for the Esclipe series they're not getting any till tomorrow.

Dude in another thread wants one too possibly and it looks like their prices went up. Did you pay £467 in the end from DJM?

High demand? Must be my fault!

Now start looking for a local decent tech who can improve the (already good) setup.

Are you excited?
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Quote by Skeet UK
Dude in another thread wants one too possibly and it looks like their prices went up. Did you pay £467 in the end from DJM?

High demand? Must be my fault!

Now start looking for a local decent tech who can improve the (already good) setup.

Are you excited?

Yeah, had some other stuff with it as well so it totaled to around £517.

Haha, you really like them dont you?

Yeah, i know a local luthier who might be able to do it.

Im so excited xD I cant wait to see if they send it tomorrow, means i might get it Saturday!
Quote by UnseenBucket
Yeah, had some other stuff with it as well so it totaled to around £517.

Haha, you really like them dont you?

Yeah, i know a local luthier who might be able to do it.

Im so excited xD I cant wait to see if they send it tomorrow, means i might get it Saturday!

Might be nice to contact the guy in this thread HERE.

If he is looking to get one, he can tell them that "his friend" (your name) just bought one for X, why will his be dearer? (looks like their prices have gone up) and maybe once you have it, you can tell him about it.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Quote by Skeet UK
Might be nice to contact the guy in this thread HERE.

If he is looking to get one, he can tell them that "his friend" (your name) just bought one for X, why will his be dearer? (looks like their prices have gone up) and maybe once you have it, you can tell him about it.

Yeah, i will do once the damn thing arrives. Still not shipped today!
Sorry for the bump, it turns out they wont be able to have the guitars till November the 3rd, so i'm gunna buy it elsewhere. Are the natural finished Faith guitars any different? I prefer that finish a lot more to the black ones, but its hard to tell with such bad quality pictures and not being able to see a real life one..

Edit: i could also stretch for the hi gloss, unless there's a better guitar for that sorta money..
Last edited by UnseenBucket at Oct 12, 2010,
Quote by UnseenBucket
Sorry for the bump, it turns out they wont be able to have the guitars till November the 3rd, so i'm gunna buy it elsewhere. Are the natural finished Faith guitars any different? I prefer that finish a lot more to the black ones, but its hard to tell with such bad quality pictures and not being able to see a real life one..

Edit: i could also stretch for the hi gloss, unless there's a better guitar for that sorta money..

Huge real Naturals....LOL!

Click on the image bottom left area and it fills the screen.

See if Eagle Music will do you a deal.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Quote by Skeet UK
Huge real Naturals....LOL!

Click on the image bottom left area and it fills the screen.

See if Eagle Music will do you a deal.

Hahahaha, that made me chuckle.

Is it worth getting the Hi gloss version or not?

If not I'll speak to Eagle Music tonight!
Quote by UnseenBucket
Hahahaha, that made me chuckle.

Is it worth getting the Hi gloss version or not?

If not I'll speak to Eagle Music tonight!

I have the HG and that is what those pics are of in whatever thread, brighter sounding than the natural...marginally...but much prettier methinks.

Naturals are mahogany, HG's are Rosewood.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Last edited by Skeet UK at Oct 13, 2010,
Got a hi gloss faith saturn which was the showroom model, had only been on show for a week so i was fine with it got a free stand and capo too!
got it from andertons.co.uk, since ive used them before
Quote by UnseenBucket
Got a hi gloss faith saturn which was the showroom model, had only been on show for a week so i was fine with it got a free stand and capo too!
got it from andertons.co.uk, since ive used them before

Doesn't have fret markers other than 12th does it?
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Quote by Skeet UK
Doesn't have fret markers other than 12th does it?

It shouldn't do, i emailed them about the one with the fret market on the 12th and i should receive it. They never said anything about it, and they only got it in week ago. Even if it is, i'll just complain and get my money back or something.
Quote by UnseenBucket
It shouldn't do, i emailed them about the one with the fret market on the 12th and i should receive it. They never said anything about it, and they only got it in week ago. Even if it is, i'll just complain and get my money back or something.

Sounds pretty cool then dude.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Quote by Skeet UK
Sounds pretty cool then dude.

Yeah, will post pictures and that when it arrives.
Thanks for all your help dude!
Quote by UnseenBucket
Yeah, will post pictures and that when it arrives.
Thanks for all your help dude!

No worries, only too pleased to spread the Faith.

If you want to stick with Elixir strings, you can get them for about £12inc on ebay. Try the new Phosphor Bronze nanoweb's too.

Nice BIG pics, case too!
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
yeah sure I'll give them a try! any specific gauge you recommend? not long after getting it the low E will be in drop C to play John Mayer stuff.

and yeah, I'll get some awesome pictures
Quote by UnseenBucket
yeah sure I'll give them a try! any specific gauge you recommend? not long after getting it the low E will be in drop C to play John Mayer stuff.

and yeah, I'll get some awesome pictures

Well...they come as standard on Faiths, so I imagine you will be giving them a try.

EDIT: Having said that, you mean the 92/8 PB's...yeah, try them.
Standard Elixirs (80/20 coated) on Faiths. Standard size are .12-.53
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani