I want more gain from my amp, but I want to overdrive the tubes more, not get the distortion from a pedal, as I want to keep as much of the fantastic tone of tubes as possible. So how should I do it? I'm guessing a booster pedal? I looked at the MXR MC404...
Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
A tubescreamer is the go-to pedal for what you want.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Yeah but apparently tube screamers add a ton of midrange to your tone. I just wan basically a transparent boost to my guitar's signal, to push the tubes in my amp harder.
Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
what amp have you got?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
From TS' profile

adstr123 has 6 pieces of equipment:

Native Instruments: Guitar Combo 3

Bahringer: iAXE 393

Roland: Micro Cube

Herald: HL34

Epiphone: Explorer - 1958 Korina Reissue Ebony

Marshall: JCM2000 Dual Super Lead 401
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

As mcjosh said, I run my Epi Explorer through a Marshall DSL401.
Quote by Duv
I might recommend you try a different set of preamp tubes like the set that eurotubes offers that truly increases your gain

https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=9&sub_category_id=43

I have a set for my XXX and i could set my gain at less than half and have plenty of gain
Thats why I switched to their lower gain set and now I can actually set my gain to full for usable gain
So you need more gain then the dsl401 on the lead channel with the gain all the way up? what do you feel like your missing form your sound.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by Levi79
I hate to reccomend sig gear, but the Zakk Wylde Overdrive would be great for what your looking for. It adds quite a bit of gain (more than tubescreamer) and doesn't color your tone. It just adds gain and sustain to your sound basically.

This or a BD2 Blues Driver.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by AcousticMirror
So you need more gain then the dsl401 on the lead channel with the gain all the way up? what do you feel like your missing form your sound.

This. That's already loads and loads of gain :S If anything it's abit too much isn't it?
If you just want more gain without more mids, I'd recommend the Dano Cool Cat Transparent OD.

Or you could get a Digitech Bad Monkey, but that does have a slight mid boost and bass cut.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Okay thanks for the suggestions.

And in reply to the questions asking me why I want more gain, have you ever played a dsl401? It's probably the least gainy Marshall I've ever heard. It sounds absolutely fantastic, but it just doesn't really give an uber gainy metal sound - yeah you're right it's great for classic and hard rock but not so much for metal.
Quote by Duv
Quote by adstr123
Okay thanks for the suggestions.

And in reply to the questions asking me why I want more gain, have you ever played a dsl401? It's probably the least gainy Marshall I've ever heard. It sounds absolutely fantastic, but it just doesn't really give an uber gainy metal sound - yeah you're right it's great for classic and hard rock but not so much for metal.

there might be something wrong with your amp...
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22
there might be something wrong with your amp...

Why do you say that?
Quote by Duv
Quote by adstr123
Why do you say that?
Because it should have lots of gain.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Mm I see. :L
Well tbh tonight i just tried some new setting and guitar settings and it sounded way better... One of them sounded amazing when I played some Metallica and Machine Head through it so I dunno, maybe I won't bother.
Quote by Duv
Ya it seems to me like what you need is really not a clean boost since that by itself won't give you an uber gainy metal sound...like you'd want a little bit of scoop and a little bit of color added in, imo.

I do agree with you those the dsl doesn't have like an absolute high amount of gain...but that's only compared to really crazy amps it should have enough to do like 90 percent of everything out there.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Okqy. Maybe I'll check out the Zack Wylde OD or BB preamp then, thanks!
Quote by Duv
how about an EQ pedal? you can boost it abit and also mess with the EQ to get you more of that sound you want
i'd recommend a mxr 10 band eq but if thats too pricey maybe the 6 band?
Amps:
Orange Rocker 30
Marshall JCM 800 1960 4x12
Guitars:
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400
Pedals:
Boss SD-1
Boss GE-7
Behringer TU-300

www.myspace.com/oceansatealaska
If nothings wrong with it (DSLs in my experience have a fair bit of gain on tap) then I'd recommend an OCD fulltone as a booster without the midrange hump of a tubescreamer
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Gain shouldn't be a problem. It's got plenty of that. You might try an EQ pedal in the loop to shape the tone more to your liking.

You can of course try to tighten your sound up with a tubescreamer (it doesn't add mids, it cuts bass... and some treble, depending on settings), which is what many metal players so.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 26, 2010,
What volume do you normally play at? The louder you go, usually the more gain you seem to have.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Quote by TheQuailman
Gain shouldn't be a problem. It's got plenty of that. You might try an EQ pedal in the loop to shape the tone more to your liking.

You can of course try to tighten your sound up with a tubescreamer (it doesn't add mids, it cuts bass... and some treble, depending on settings), which is what many metal players so.

If it cuts bass and treble, that's has the same effect on the ear as adding mids doesn't it?

Okay, so after listening closely to the amp in a different room to my small cramped bedroom, I've actually heard that on clean it has a really pure sound, which breaks up nicely on OD1, giving a definite overdrive. But then on OD2 it breaks up more, but not so much into distortion, more into a fuzz kinda thing, whereas I'm looking for that metal distortion you hear. So maybe you guys are right, maybe it's not the gain that's the problem, maybe it's the type of distortion and tone that needs working out. So maybe I should be looking at an eq.
Quote by Duv
For an EQ, the MXR 10 Band EQ is considered the best by most people on here. If you want a cheaper price the Danelectro Fish N' Chips is supposed to be pretty decent for the money.

I am actually selling an EQ if you are interested.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=25094364#post25094364

Also, if you do go the overdrive route, I bought a MXR GT-OD quite a while back and am very pleased. I play through a Marshall with bucketloads of mids, and my old tubescreamer would cut out bass and just the up the mids to the point of EQ adjustment. So if you're into a transparent overdrive than something like the MXR, or the Fulltone OCD, or the Dano one would be good. If your amp is a little flatter naturally EQ wise, than a tubescreamer could be just fine.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE