Hey I know everybody and their dogs have made a thread like this but I still wanted to make one because I just want to try to get the perfect one for me, I looked at other threads and they all had different situations

Alright so I am needing a bass that can be heard over a 4-piece band (Drummer, Bassist, Lead Guitar, and Vocalist/Rhythm Guitar)

So it does have to be pretty damn loud. How many watts would I need? I don't know things about electric amps because all I have right now is a Tube amp for my guitar

Also I mainly play punk, but also will play some alternative, hardcore, and metal. To name some bands that I would be playing (and have awesome bass sounds, IMO of course) I would say Rise Against, AFI, Sum 41, and Anti-Flag

And also one little twist - I want to use it to amplify vocals too, I don't know if that has any effect on anything, but I may just do something else, so if you want ignore this part

Edit: Oh yeah and my budget is $500 or less
Last edited by Tmusician at Sep 25, 2010,
I'm sure a lot of people will shoot me down on this, but I like the way Line 6 Lowdown sounds.
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B200-200W-1x15-Bass-Combo?sku=482902
works great for me. perfect for practice and playing gigs.
i recommend buying these for the amp as well http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ernie-Ball-Pop-Out-Amp-Caster-Set?sku=483501
the casters make transporting them a lot easier.
use the leftover money for new strings pedal and maybe a case for the base.
Dick+strings= owww
We will need to know a few things first. Number one; what size and type of amplifiers are your two guitarists playing through? If they are using 100-watt tube heads with a 4x12 cabinet each, then you will need some serious firepower to keep up - let alone to cut through the mix. Number two; how loud is your drummer? A loud drummer with a good-sized kit can in some venues drown out some seriously loud amplifiers. Number three; what sized venues are you playing? The bigger the gig; the bigger the amplifiers need to be.

The traditional model is that the bassist needs three times the output power of the guitarists. If your guitarists are playing through 100-watt amplifiers, then you'll need at least 300 watts for your bass. With two guitarists, you'll definitely want more than that. I'd say 400 watts minimum if you're up against a pair of Marshall half stacks.

A lot of people will tell you that you can use any little thing and just mic it through the P.A. Yes, you can do that, but it isn't going to sound nearly as good. If you're going to gig, then get a real gigging amplifier. Leave the lunchbox amps in your practice room where they belong.

Forget about running vocals through your bass amp. It ain't gonna happen. For one thing, you'd need a high impedance microphone or an adapter to convert your low impedance microphone to fit the amp. Either way, it won't sound good and it will cause more problems that it will solve. Vocals go through a P.A. Unless you are on the folk singer coffeehouse circuit, the days of singing through an instrument amp ended in the 1950s.

For $500.00, I'd look at the offerings from Acoustic.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by rasveer
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B200-200W-1x15-Bass-Combo?sku=482902
works great for me. perfect for practice and playing gigs.
i recommend buying these for the amp as well http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ernie-Ball-Pop-Out-Amp-Caster-Set?sku=483501
the casters make transporting them a lot easier.
use the leftover money for new strings pedal and maybe a case for the base.

Awesome! Also does drilling a hole for those amp wheels alter the amp at all?
Quote by Tmusician
Awesome! Also does drilling a hole for those amp wheels alter the amp at all?

the bottom of the amp has sockets for casters but you will want to remove the ones built in with a standard star screwdriver and put in the ones i recommended in the second link.
Dick+strings= owww
this is actually the situation in which I suggest against the B200. I for sure cannot get a good Rise Against tone out of it. I think a Sansamp driver might do the trick though.. actually, a B200 would be great for that if you would like the Sansamp's tone because the B200 won't really color it.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
A question no one has asked yet is how many strings does your bass have? That low B is a killer for headroom. I would recommend 300-400 watts minimum to keep some headroom. The peavey tnt 400 watt and 600 watt amps would work. If I were you I would go used and get atleast a 2x10 and a head that can give you as much wattage as your cab can take.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
a marshall 300/400watt tube/solid state hybrib combo amp i forgot the exact name but i played through one at guitar center with an american standard p bass and it sounded amazing
i play an instrument. nuff sed.
Quote by Slanderous666
A question no one has asked yet is how many strings does your bass have? That low B is a killer for headroom. I would recommend 300-400 watts minimum to keep some headroom. The peavey tnt 400 watt and 600 watt amps would work. If I were you I would go used and get atleast a 2x10 and a head that can give you as much wattage as your cab can take.

Im going to assume that he has 4 strings because of the thread he posted recently about buying his first bass (SR300).
pinga
"this is actually the situation in which I suggest against the B200. I for sure cannot get a good Rise Against tone out of it. I think a Sansamp driver might do the trick though.. actually, a B200 would be great for that if you would like the Sansamp's tone because the B200 won't really color it."

Dang, that sucks! haha I thought I had it sorted out with the Acoustic! You really can't get a good Rise Against tone? Have you tried turning the treble way up (9), the bass around 6, and the middle in the... middle at like 8? I would think that would do the trick, can anybody confirm that the Acoustic just can't reproduce a good Rise Against tone?

Also I am getting the Ibanez SR300 which is a 4-string!