How common is it for immigrants' kids to have an accent similar to their parents?

I've heard some people say that second generation kids are highly influenced by their parents' accents. It doesn't really hold true for me. My mom is Brazilian and has a very thick accent yet I speak general American English with no hint of any South Americanisms. A lot of second generation people I've met seem to be the same way. So, is it common at all? From my perspective it isn't.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
No it isn't common. At all.

You can trust my opinion on this as I'm a linguist

There we have it then!

Thread over?
If I remember my Psychology right, children usually pick up their accent primarily from their peers. So it's probably not very common.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by rgrockr
If I remember my Psychology right, children usually pick up their accent primarily from their peers. So it's probably not very common.

This.
Quote by bulldozerbob
There we have it then!

Thread over?

Yep!

Nobody ever takes my word for it though

Anyway, for a bit more detail I'd ask you why you think someone might have their parents accent? You don't speak only to your parents. You pick up the accent of your surroundings. Maybe you could expect a child just starting school to be influenced by their parents but they would soon do something known as' accommodation' - simply, pick up the speech patterns they hear around them.

Simples.
I always wondered how this works.

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Yep!

Anyway, for a bit more detail I'd ask you why you think someone might have their parents accent? You don't speak only to your parents. You pick up the accent of your surroundings. Maybe you could expect a child just starting school to be influenced by their parents but they would soon do something known as' accommodation' - simply, pick up the speech patterns they hear around them.

Simples.

What would happen to someone that moves a lot as a kid? Mixed speech patterns?
Mistress Ibanez is right.

My parents both immigrated from India, but I have an American accent.

Sometimes I do have vocal slurs or whatever they're called. I've heard it's from learning two languages as a young child but I don't know.
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

Last edited by mcjosh at Sep 25, 2010,
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Yep!

Simples.

Wait, how come I have a northern ontario accent when I grew up in southern ontario?
Quote by Masamune

It would really depend where they identify the most with.

Accommodation has 2 kinds: positive and negative.

Positive is when you try to make your speech like those around you to fit in. Negative is when you emphasise your own different accent to show your distance to those you are speaking with.

A kid who moved from England to America and hated it would probably make an effort to hang onto their English accent more than one who wanted to fit in with her new friends.
Quote by Masamune

I don't know the answer to this but the thought that they'd be skitzophrenic (sp?) and would switch between different accents at random intervals is kind of entertaining
Quote by Demonikk
Disco break!

Quote by Julz127
Make sure you put me in your citations at the end. Or at least in your sig.
Quote by the_unforgiven6
I don't know the answer to this but the thought that they'd be skitzophrenic (sp?) and would switch between different accents at random intervals is kind of entertaining

How would that be schizophrenic?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia

You're probably thinking about Dissociative Personality Disorder (Multiple personalities) which is often mistaken for schizophrenia for some reason.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Last edited by rgrockr at Sep 25, 2010,
Quote by Masamune

I've been playing through FFX lately and I just up to where I can almost get Yojimbo.

But I'm getting bored of it.

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
I'm from Newcastle, and most immigrants never speak English...

So I guess I'm void from this thread in some respects.

But, the ones I have heard, do sound like their parents.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
My accent's East Coast American with sprinklings of Irish Cork. Yeah, my father's accent has had an influence on me.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Quote by the_unforgiven6

I don't see the entertainment in somebody with a psychological disorder
It depends on how early/late they start speaking English.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Arrived+Dparted
My accent's East Coast American with sprinklings of Irish Cork. Yeah, my father's accent has had an influence on me.

I highly doubt that's parental influence, it is much more likely you are one of the billion americans who desperately wants to be Irish. It's the negative accommodation I was just talking about.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I highly doubt that's parental influence, it is much more likely you are one of the billion americans who desperately wants to be Irish. It's the negative accommodation I was just talking about.

See the thing is, I don't want to be Irish. I just am. I'd be fine if I my heritage was different. I think it's less that and more wanting to be like my dad. But I see your point.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Quote by Arrived+Dparted
See the thing is, I don't want to be Irish. I just am. I'd be fine if I my heritage was different. I think it's less that and more wanting to be like my dad. But I see your point.

Well, that's still accommodation

So much about our identities is conveyed in the way we talk, most people have no idea. It's really interesting.
i dont really have much of an accent. i speak english as good as any other american although my parents are from somewhere else.
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Quote by :Vicious--
i dont really have much of an accent. i speak english as good as any other american although my parents are from somewhere else.

Yes you do have an accent.
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

not all the time, but you do see it i guess, i think its more the environment you grow up in! Like my girlfriend has VERY indian parents, but she doesn't have any accent! Whereas lots of other indian people i've met have really strong accents haha
The best time at learning language is during childhood; kids meet other kids in kindergartens, schools, and so on, and are affected by the most common accent, usually the local dialects.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
My parents came here from India in the 80's. I have a completely american accent. So, nope.

Although, I know this one girl whose kind of antisocial, and she has a bit an accent...

Quote by pielover375
So last year, I put some potatoes in this jar and forgot about them. Today, I found them, and when I opened the jar, there is a puddle at the bottom and it smells like alcohol. If I drink this, do you think I will die, or have I made potato vodka?
If they live in an immigrant neighborhood they usually have accents. Like where I used to live, almost all the Mexican/Hispanic kids at my school had noticible accents, probably because most of them lived in neighborhoods where everyone was an immigrant. But where I live now, accents are a lot rarer, probably because most immigrants here grow up around people with American accents. At least that's my guess.
Quote by Highway60Bob
i've always been looking for a good excuse to **** my mom.
Quote by rgrockr
How would that be schizophrenic?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia

You're probably thinking about Dissociative Personality Disorder (Multiple personalities) which is often mistaken for schizophrenia for some reason.

Ya thank you for the correction
Quote by Demonikk
Disco break!

Quote by Julz127
Make sure you put me in your citations at the end. Or at least in your sig.
You know what I'm interested to know? My parents are both from totally different parts of the world and have different mother tongues. I have the accent of my peers, as Mistress_Ibanez suggested would happen, which is actually a weird hybrid of a few different accents, having moved from the US to Jordan and attending a British school.

But that's not my question. My question is, why can't I hear my parents' accents? I know I grew up with them and I should have grown accustomed to their accents, but it's not that I ignore them. I just don't hear them. To me it sounds like my parents speak perfect English, but my friends literally have difficulty understanding my dad, and they say my mom clearly has a present accent.
Quote by metacarpi
I'd rather post a chat up line with an escape route in case it starts going wrong.

"Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?"

*girl looks unimpressed*

"Because it looks like you landed on your face."