Page 1 of 2
Can anyone tell me how do go about doing this? I'm not too knowledgable on this kind of thing, but it would be interesting to try. Supposedly this guy did it http://www.guitarsolos.com/videos-blues-junior-watt-lite-%5BX49Gc1zRwvI%5D.cfm

Or, is there anything else I can do to make it sound more like vintage marshall, speaker change, transformer change or tube change?

Cheers fella's!
Hmm, I actually haven't done it before. Is there any speaker changes or tube changes that will make it more vintage marshally?
Why would you buy a Fender if you wanted a Marshall sound? That's like the polar opposite.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Yeah I know, I haven't actually bought the blues jr. I wanted a marshall 1974x, but it's too heavy as I need to walk or train it to gigs and practice. I like the marshall class 5, but I don't think that will be loud enough for gigs. I've checked countless boutique builders, but I just kind find that vintage marshall tone in the size/weight and volume i'm looking for.

The blues jr is the size/volume of amp i'm looking for, and I do like it, especially with a boost and a fuzz on front of it. May have to just settle for it, and wait till a bandmate gets a car haha.
No, the BJr is a Fender amp. It doesn't sound like a Marshall. That's the long and short of it.

Have you considered a Valvepower 18W and a small 1x12 cabinet?

The fact of the matter is that tube amps have some big components. They will weigh a good amount.

It can't weight much at all:
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Sep 25, 2010,
Quote by MatrixClaw
Why would you buy a Fender if you wanted a Marshall sound? That's like the polar opposite.

Hey hey! point of contention...the blues jr runs el84s.

to the OP...I don't think it's worth it to turn the amp into a 1974x. In fact, the blues junior is probably closer in sound then most other fenders.

The 18 watt lite circuit has a master and full tone controls. The circuit isn't that much different. The blues jr circuit just has the reverb.

I think a speaker change would help you more then a circuit change. A more mid range biased speaker definitely.

In fact..I have no idea why that guy ripped out his blues jr and put in the 1974x board, I doubt he can even hear much of a difference.....

If you wanted your amp to be closer to the original 1 tone/1 volume take your amp to a tech and have him make the tone stack in the bj switchable. Then turn your master volume all the way up and use your gain control for volume.

Quote by DanielShaw123
Yeah I know, I haven't actually bought the blues jr. I wanted a marshall 1974x, but it's too heavy as I need to walk or train it to gigs and practice. I like the marshall class 5, but I don't think that will be loud enough for gigs. I've checked countless boutique builders, but I just kind find that vintage marshall tone in the size/weight and volume i'm looking for.

The blues jr is the size/volume of amp i'm looking for, and I do like it, especially with a boost and a fuzz on front of it. May have to just settle for it, and wait till a bandmate gets a car haha.

You need to be more clear on what exactly that vintage marshall sound means to you. The 18w is vintage marshall but it's a very specific marshall sound. What songs/albums/artists are you thinking of in particular?
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Sep 25, 2010,
I know, I really want the marshall tone! But there's no point having an amp that's too quiet, or an amp that you can't transport.

I'll look into getting a head, and a small cab. Cheers for the suggestion.
Quote by AcousticMirror
Hey hey! point of contention...the blues jr runs el84s.

to the OP...I don't think it's worth it to turn the amp into a 1974x. In fact, the blues junior is probably closer in sound then most other fenders.

The 18 watt lite circuit has a master and full tone controls. The circuit isn't that much different. The blues jr circuit just has the reverb.

I think a speaker change would help you more then a circuit change. A more mid range biased speaker definitely.

In fact..I have no idea why that guy ripped out his blues jr and put in the 1974x board, I doubt he can even hear much of a difference.....

If you wanted your amp to be closer to the original 1 tone/1 volume take your amp to a tech and have him make the tone stack in the bj switchable. Then turn your master volume all the way up and use your gain control for volume.

You need to be more clear on what exactly that vintage marshall sound means to you. The 18w is vintage marshall but it's a very specific marshall sound. What songs/albums/artists are you thinking of in particular?

Cmon, that's an exaggeration. They sound different. The circuit is different. That's like saying a Fender Bassman sounds exactly like a JTM45.
Quote by DanielShaw123
I know, I really want the marshall tone! But there's no point having an amp that's too quiet, or an amp that you can't transport.

I'll look into getting a head, and a small cab. Cheers for the suggestion.

No, I'm not saying any head. I'm saying the Valvepower. That's the 18W lite circuit right there, but in a cage style enclosure so it should be lighter.
When I say vintage marshall I am referring to the 1974x/plexi/jtm45 Hendrixy, early Calptony kind of tone; smooth creamy blues rock sustain with a bit of quack in the crunch.

I shall definitley check out the valvepower, thanks.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Cmon, that's an exaggeration. They sound different. The circuit is different. That's like saying a Fender Bassman sounds exactly like a JTM45.

I know but it's closer then a twin reverb is to a jcm800
the blues jr doesn't really sound like a deluxe or a princeton...it's got it's own thing going on that's definitely not strictly in the fender camp. I mean with the gain turned all the way up?

Quote by DanielShaw123
When I say vintage marshall I am referring to the 1974x/plexi/jtm45 Hendrixy, early Calptony kind of tone; smooth creamy blues rock sustain with a bit of quack in the crunch.

I shall definitley check out the valvepower, thanks.

I understand that but...

The 18w sounds different then the jtm45. The plexi is another thing entirely. The early bluesbreaker era was recorded on an amp running kt66s.
Quote by forsaknazrael
^yeah but he's listening to clips of the 18W, seems to like it, and it can covet similar ground. I think he's headed in te right direction.

Sure, but I'd recommend sitting down with a few amps and seeing if you can get a sound you like out of it as well. If you can it doesn't really matter what the amp brand or circuit is.

It's too bad your in the UK. The mesa TA is probably the best small gigging head I've ever played.
Can only find one clip off the valvepower, seems ok though it's not jumping at me. Could be the clip quality though.

Also what did you mean by this exactly acousticmirror? "If you wanted your amp to be closer to the original 1 tone/1 volume take your amp to a tech and have him make the tone stack in the bj switchable. Then turn your master volume all the way up and use your gain control for volume."
I dunno. John says that's stupid. So I dunno. Maybe if John looks at the schematics he'd be able to tell you better then me. I just clanged at them briefly.
shove a lovepedal eternity burst in front of it. bam.

that's as close as you're gonna get on $150-200 imo.

otherwise, sell blues jr and buy a british voiced amp.
You're not searching for the right thing.
The Valvepower IS an 18W lite - it's not an original circuit, it's a popular modification of the 18W circuit that removes the TMB tonestack and replaces it with a tone control. This is to increase output as a TMB sucks tone and power.
That's the name of the circuit. Search for "18W Lite", you'll find clips.
Hey gregs, i'm not on a budget. I will pay whatever the cost if the amp is right.

Also I haven't yet bought a blues jr, I was toying with the idea.

Also the reason I haven't bought a british voiced amp is I can't find one that's portable enough (12kg or so) and also loud enough to gig with.
Quote by DanielShaw123
Hey gregs, i'm not on a budget. I will pay whatever the cost if the amp is right.

Also the reason I haven't bought a british voiced amp is I can't find one that's portable enough (12kg or so) and also loud enough to gig with.

then start listening to forsakn, he's telling you the truth.

the 18 watt tmb lite clones are everywhere. brown note makes a good one, so do plenty of other manufacturers like the valvepower.
Well the prinecton is only 12kg or so, as is the class 5. I would say 15kg is my limit, surley there is something giggable less than 15kg(also with the tone i'm looking for) .
Yeah I checked them out, but they just seem to lack that something special that 1974x has, maybe it's just me.
Quote by DanielShaw123

Loud amps weigh a lot, you just need to man up or get casters or something to wheel it around. Seriously, the wheel is a pretty bitchin' invention. People have been moving heavy stuff for several millennium with these things. I'm sure you could figure something out.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by DanielShaw123
Well the prinecton is only 12kg or so, as is the class 5. I would say 15kg is my limit, surley there is something giggable less than 15kg(also with the tone i'm looking for) .

If it's the Princeton I think you're talking about, that's a solid state. They're usually lighter. The Class 5 doesn't have enough power to be gigged without using a mic + PA. So it's lighter.

As far as the 1974x sounding better...I disagree, but whatever. There's nothing special to the reissue, it's not of exceedingly excellent quality, there are no magic components. The 18W Lite circuits sound much more wide open, IMO...
Well I have a super reverb at the moment, and I use a trolley to transport it. It's just managable, but it get's old pretty quick. Hence the reason I'm looking for something more convenient. I know loud amps weigh a lot, though amps like the princeton or the blues junior fit my volume and portability needs, just not my tonal needs. I may just have to settle for one of the fenders and use pedals for the time being.
Quote by forsaknazrael
There's nothing special to the reissue, it's not of exceedingly excellent quality, there are no magic components. The 18W Lite circuits sound much more wide open, IMO...

just that logo that says "marshall". it has the majical ability to make people think it sounds better.

it's snakeoil btw.
Quote by DanielShaw123
Hmm, I actually haven't done it before.

no shit

EDIT: if you're in the UK, valvepower is great. EVA (english valve amps) makes a clone of the 2061, which might also be worth a look, and martamp/mjw makes something similar too. Haven't tried the last two, but they have a good rep. Up to you. There are probably other options too.

John: when you say it's not a marshall circuit, and that the tmb was replaced by a tone knob... I thought the 1974x just has a tone knob? Isn't the TMB version the modified version? Or maybe I misread your post.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 25, 2010,
Quote by DanielShaw123
I try and use my ears as much as possible.

then why would you consider a blues jr?
I just like them. I was thinking about a princeton 65, they're about twice as much as a blues jr and held in higher regard, but the blues junior is closer to the tone I am after.
but it's nothing like a 1974x. you contradict yourself every other time you post.

which makes it impossible to really help you, you are truly helpless.

good luck.
If you read my previous posts you will see that there has been no contradiction. I want a vintage marshall tone, I can't find an amp that has it, that also suits my volume and weight needs. The blues jr cranked with a pickup booster whacked on and a bit of fuzz gets me into that smooth creamy singing sustain territory, those being the traits that attract me to the old marshalls like the 1974x or the bluesbreaker.
Quote by Dave_Mc
no shit

EDIT: if you're in the UK, valvepower is great. EVA (english valve amps) makes a clone of the 2061, which might also be worth a look, and martamp/mjw makes something similar too. Haven't tried the last two, but they have a good rep. Up to you. There are probably other options too.

John: when you say it's not a marshall circuit, and that the tmb was replaced by a tone knob... I thought the 1974x just has a tone knob? Isn't the TMB version the modified version? Or maybe I misread your post.

No, you're right, I got a bit turned around. I was thinking about how they remove the tremolo.
And then I was thinking about how the TMB version very popular, and what improvements can be had by using the lite version instead so double

Good call.
haha, no worries, i just thought i was going crazy for a moment

the valvepower is a marshall 1974x normal channel. It's (presumably) under your budget, especially if you're looking at a fender princeton which is twice the price in the UK.

What you're saying is that there isn't a marshall 1974x which has a marshall badge on it under your budget. That's fair enough, but be aware that you're pretty much not getting the amp you want (assuming you're correct in your assumption that you want a marshall 18 watter, which, on the evidence of this thread, is quite the assumption) based on the badge on it. If you're ok with that, there's no problem.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by DanielShaw123
If you read my previous posts you will see that there has been no contradiction. I want a vintage marshall tone, I can't find an amp that has it, that also suits my volume and weight needs. The blues jr cranked with a pickup booster whacked on and a bit of fuzz gets me into that smooth creamy singing sustain territory, those being the traits that attract me to the old marshalls like the 1974x or the bluesbreaker.

i told you to put a lovepedal eternity burst in front of a blues jr didn't i?

if you haven't found any amp that sounds like a vintage marshall, you haven't played enough amps.

about a third of the amps on the market are designed to sound like a vintage marshall to some degree.

Ever try a vox night train? you should.
Page 1 of 2