I've been playing my guitar all this time without a strap. I finally went out and bought the straplock buttons and installed them today. Completely different instrument, IMO!

I'm not having a problem with fretting, but finding the strings with the pick is impossible with the guitar perfectly vertical, I am use to playing with a little angle. Any advice, other than practice?

Also, I'm playing around with the "hang" and would like to know where it should hang rather than where I think it should hang for my long-term progress. I don't want to develop a bad golf swing for what seems expedient. Thanks.
I usually just find a comfortable adjustment so that I can still play without having to put the guitar in weird positions to reach but not too high because you look like an old school bassist then lol.. It's based on your arm length and finger flexibility.
"For we are nothing without brotherhood and brotherhood is nothing without our brothers" -We Came As Romans
I have never played with a stap in 2 years but I've heard it's just practice and that you should pratice both ways.

Quote by a_hub10
I keep my Schecter in dropped D all the time, and i didn't buy an attachment of any kind.

Quote by CraftyTrickster
You should just tell the seller: ¡Boludo!
When playing with a strap your guitar should not be vertical, it should have angle in it. Go in google images and look up your favourite guitarists, and see how theirs is angled. Whilst you're there checkout their strap length. Yeah, they look awesome with their guitars hung low right? But the fact is, the lower you go, in general, the more technique you lose. So start off high, then when you're more comfortable standing and playing, go lower, if you want.
Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
Do it like Tom Morello
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."

Quote by Yngwi3

Bigger/louder/more watts =/= Better quality.
Quote by adstr123
When playing with a strap your guitar should not be vertical, it should have angle in it. Go in google images and look up your favourite guitarists, and see how theirs is angled. Whilst you're there checkout their strap length. Yeah, they look awesome with their guitars hung low right? But the fact is, the lower you go, in general, the more technique you lose. So start off high, then when you're more comfortable standing and playing, go lower, if you want.

By "vertical" I don't mean the neck to body angle, I mean the body to the floor angle. I can keep the neck up a little where I like it, but the body is going to hang straight down vertical no matter what unless there is a technique I don't know. Thanks for the post, I think I have it at a good hang, I'm not reaching for anything, just having trouble finding it.
straps positioning is important man, find the right height and play with in while you sit even.

'08 Ibanez S5470 Prestige
Gibson SG Special - discontinued teal finish
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
4x12 Mesa Oversized Slanted Cab
BOSS TU-2
iSP Decimator
Use one of your legs to prop the lower part of the guitar out a bit so it's angled back a little
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
It takes time, but soon it will feel right. Just make sure you practice with the strap and eventually it will click.

It feels like you'll have to re-learn everything, but you don't. Don't worry.
John 3:16 = Truth

Sight reading tableture = Guitar Hero for real guitarists
It's about practice.

Learn to hold your guitar vertically, that's how I do it.

Like that, it helps a lot.

You will probably have to learn to pick properly a bit because you're picking hand will be at a strange angle.
when you're sitting down, playing in 'classical position' i find helps getting used to the angle a little when playing with a strap.

and it's height should be where you're comfortable with it.
if you're feeling pain or bending your wrist too much it's probably too low.
Quote by Koshman32
Use one of your legs to prop the lower part of the guitar out a bit so it's angled back a little

That does help. Can't do it all the time, but it will wean me through the rough spots while I get use to this.
It took me a little while to get used to using a strap, but after a while it was just as easy as sitting down and playing. Just takes practice.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
What I did was sit down and adjust the strap so that it's as far away as it would be when I'm sitting down. It wasn't hard after that at all.
GIMME FUE GIMMA FAI GIMMA DABAJAZA

Fender American Strat > Korg Chromatic Tuner > Jemini Distortion > Boss DD7 > Blackstar HT 20