Page 1 of 2
So yeah, what I mean is I want some bands where guitar is the main focus of the band, like without the guitar it would just be weird listening to it. It doesn't really matter what genre, I'm open to pretty much anything. I just want to hear some bands where the guitar is the main focus.
jeff loomis's solo album
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by Somekid94
I can't believe no one has said Buckethead yet.

i cant stand buckethead just because of the character that he plays.
Quote by rickyj

i agree, i feel like he's putting on an act.
Quote by rickyj

Shawn Lane, Andy Timmons, Guthrie Govan, Eric Johnson, a lot of Santana, Jeff Beck, and Yngwie Malmsteen just to name a few.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Last edited by bingeandletgo at Sep 25, 2010,
Ok then.. Theres Orianthi as well.

EDIT: Maybe only the song "Highly Strung" I found the youtube channel and figured out who she really was... Eh...

EDIT2: There's also Paul Gilbert
Last edited by Somekid94 at Sep 25, 2010,
Quote by rickyj

That's no reason to dismiss him? Besides Vai i tend to think Buckethead is one of the greats.. His styles are so wide range, theirs something for everyone with his music.

I mean you gotta respect the fact he's different from the norm its a good change in scenery in this horrible age in music.
Quote by Gordon_Gekko
That's no reason to dismiss him? Besides Vai i tend to think Buckethead is one of the greats.. His styles are so wide range, theirs something for everyone with his music.

I mean you gotta respect the fact he's different from the norm its a good change in scenery in this horrible age in music.

How is it not a reason to dismiss him? If he doesn't like the retarded act Buckethead puts on, he doesn't like it. If it wasn't for that gimmick Buckethead would not be any more recognised than any of the hundreds of other "shredders".

This isn't a "horrible age in music" either.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
if you like metal, check out "blotted science"

also check out stanley jordan. not metal. jazz tapping

michael angelo batio has som really cool instrumental covers of zeppelin and randy rhoads medleys on one of his newer cds (not sure which one)

dream theater

one could argue stuff like In Flames is pretty damn guitar driven...

ummmm...

extreme? haha

EDIT: And the Scorpions. Not enought can be said abou the Scoripions. I have a softspot for 80s metal, but if you wanna talk about beautifull tone and guitar playing, its scorpions all the way. And f*ck that rock you like a hurricane sh*t, dive deep, you wont regret it...
LYRICS. WASTED TIME BETWEEN SOLOS

l
Last edited by KYLE_2K at Oct 18, 2010,
Quote by asator
If it wasn't for that gimmick Buckethead would not be any more recognised than any of the hundreds of other "shredders".

I disagree with this... Shred music is at just about the very bottom of my list of musical interests, yet I quite like a lot of Buckethead's work. Several of his albums have ambient and experimental tencencies (or are simply ambient or experimental albums); some of them are entirely removed from the genre of metal.

In addition, I find that there is often much more emphasis on melody than speed in Buckethead's work. I can't really say the same about any "shredders" I've heard.

Neither his versatility and musical adventurousness nor his focus on song over flashy playing are related to his gimmick, yet they're both reasons to recognise him over "shredders".
bro, the bucket is way more well-versed and musically dedicated than most run of the mill shredders. Stuff like Vai and Satriani really just bore me nowadays (especially vai, i like his style but what a wanka...)

I mean, the guy puts out 2 or 3 full albums on average a year, and its not like the bulk of his songs are a showcase of his leads (*cough yngwie vai a million others) either.

One exceptionally breathtaking buckethead song, and to be fair, I wouldnt expect something this sombre and emotional coming from a man wearing a kfc bucket either; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUHkREPzagg

im off, dont even know what forum im really on tbh
Quote by asator
How is it not a reason to dismiss him? If he doesn't like the retarded act Buckethead puts on, he doesn't like it. If it wasn't for that gimmick Buckethead would not be any more recognized than any of the hundreds of other "shredders".

This isn't a "horrible age in music" either.

It's a perfect reason not to dismiss him. I don't understand how you can say modern music is great but buckethead isn't. Dude Colma is a fantastic album. He is different then most of the "hundreds of other shredders" I've heard. I don't even listen to that stuff anymore but i still occasionally put on the bucket.
But i don't want to get carried away. To each his own right?
Quote by Gordon_Gekko
I don't understand how you can say modern music is great but buckethead isn't.

How can you not understand that?
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
i read the thread title, i instantly thought of little wing by hendrix

and then under the bridge and scar tissue by the red hot chili peppers, and yellow ledbetter by pear jam (songs which you can hear the hendrix influence)
John Petrucci's stuff
Buckethed
Joe Satriani
Steve Vai
Paul Gilbert (silence followed by a defining roar, and get off of my yard albums)
Andy Timmons

edit: why are all these people hating on buckethead?
My favorite guitarist....
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Last edited by rushpython at Oct 23, 2010,
Quote by nashawa
How can you not understand that?

Well i mean everything today is just polished garbage we've all heard 100 times elsewhere. Musically I'd rather listen to something i can float away to as opposed to lets say hearing what someone believes or whatever there lyric is. I'm not saying its all bad its just my preference. I just don't see why you all were so quick to dismiss someone just because he wears a stupid mask and doesn't get all glamored and pampered for your amusement?
Quote by Gordon_Gekko
Well i mean everything today is just polished garbage we've all heard 100 times elsewhere. Musically I'd rather listen to something i can float away to as opposed to lets say hearing what someone believes or whatever there lyric is. I'm not saying its all bad its just my preference. I just don't see why you all were so quick to dismiss someone just because he wears a stupid mask and doesn't get all glamored and pampered for your amusement?

My name is Danny. Call me that.
There is a whole list of bands you may choose from... sometime back I wanted to put together a hand-picked collection of you tube guitaring videos in one place, you know those of awesome guitaring songs, immaterial of the genres... just wanted them all in one place
If you are interested you could visit the collection thats in my forum signature
Quote by Gordon_Gekko

What the fucking hell are you talking about dude?
I'm an asshole.
coredudes, Buckethead's awesome
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Page 1 of 2