Hey guys, I recently scored an Amber Sunburst Ec-1000 on ebay for a super good price. I already have a standard black model with the EMG's in it. I love the tone of the EMG's and its perfect for what I play, but I want to keep passives in the amber Ec-1000, that way I don't have two guitars with nearly identical tone.

I want something that is going to be good for metal, as the seymour Duncan thats currently installed just gets too muddy with high gain. Im looking for a bridge pickup with really nice chunky lows and good mids. I'm not too worried about highs but I'd prefer for them to not be as sterile as the highs on the EMG's.

I have no experience with aftermarket pickups, but I always hear rave reviews about dimarzios. Seymour Duncans seem to be hit or miss but I know theyre a bigger name as well. I have been considering a Duncan Sh-8 Invader but they get very mixed reviews. On the dimarzio side I have been looking at the Dropsonic, The Deactivtor X, and the Super Distortion. I know it comes down to personal preferance, but to give you an idea of the ound I like, think of Metallica's Black Album. I love the guitar tones on that album, even though I like their earlier work much better That or Hatebreed's Rise of Brutality.

Any insight or suggestinons are welcome, thanks!
Bands
xRepresentx
Hellsent (New)

Gear
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Epiphone SG-400 Limited Edition w/ EMG 81/85

Madison Divinity w/ JJ Preamps
Peavey 6505
2 Custom Built Cabs w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
I have a DiMarzio D-Sonic in my Ibanez, and I absolutely love it, more so than the 81 in the bridge of my LTD.

Ive taken it all the way down to Drop A# and its still very articulate and not muddy.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
super distortion is a good choice for what you're looking for, the dactivator x is more highs. from personal experience, ive always found the invader to be a bit muddy.id go with the super distortion. Also, look into bareknuckles
Quote by jackson1040
super distortion is a good choice for what you're looking for, the dactivator x is more highs. from personal experience, ive always found the invader to be a bit muddy.id go with the super distortion. Also, look into bareknuckles

BKPs are pricey from what Ive found. I paid $70 for my D-Sonic, similar output BKP was like $150.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by Mitochondria9
BKPs are pricey from what Ive found. I paid $70 for my D-Sonic, similar output BKP was like $150.

yup they're more expensive than dimarzio, although if hes in the UK or europe theyll be cheaper
Hey Guys thanks for the replies...D-sonic has been on my mind for a while. Super distortion I need to do a bit more reding into. What are your guys opinions on Blackouts or EMG x's. Would it be too similar to the Emg standards?
Bands
xRepresentx
Hellsent (New)

Gear
Jackson DKMG Dinky

Peavey 6505
Quote by Mitochondria9
I have a DiMarzio D-Sonic in my Ibanez, and I absolutely love it, more so than the 81 in the bridge of my LTD.

Ive taken it all the way down to Drop A# and its still very articulate and not muddy.

How is the low end on this pickup? The ratings on the dimarzio site imply that the bass isnt very high on this which is why i was second guessing it
Bands
xRepresentx
Hellsent (New)

Gear
Jackson DKMG Dinky

Peavey 6505
Quote by jackson1040

What type of guitar/wood have you experienced the super distortion in??
Bands
xRepresentx
Hellsent (New)

Gear
Jackson DKMG Dinky

Peavey 6505
Quote by Bad.Seed
What type of guitar/wood have you experienced the super distortion in??

alder, basswood and mahogany.
Quote by jackson1040
alder, basswood and mahogany.

And your thoughts on the tone of the pickup in a mahognay bodied guitar? What type of tone did you primarily use it for?
Bands
xRepresentx
Hellsent (New)

Gear
Jackson DKMG Dinky

Peavey 6505
it was for my main guitar, i used it as my all around guitar paired with a Dimarzio PAF. It was used mostly for thrash, melo-death, and ensiferum and wintersun stuff, and for that it worked perfectly