First of all, i have no money to buy new equipment and have to live with what i have, so a new amp or pedal is out of the question, so please don't waste my time and your time suggesting this. i know i need a new amp and would like a Blackstar HT-40, but i lack the funds.

I'm currently using a MG30DFX and i hate the sound i get from it's distortion, but i do prefer the distortion i get from my Zoom 505 guitar pedal (the first generation one). The problem is, when combined, the pedal causes undue amounts of hiss (i can ignore this) but even worse, it causes an indescribably horrific sound when i play single notes past about the 5th or 7th fret on higher strings. The closest way to describe it is almost like the pedal is creating a harsh high pitched harmony or dissonance with the note i'm playing. I was hoping someone out there either had this problem or knew what it was or had an idea of how to stop it. it happens with any distortion i use and it doesn't ever happen with any other amp i've used it with. PLEASE HELP!

Link to my pedal:
http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1624

Link to my Amp:
http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_MG30DFX%201x10%20Guitar%20Combo%20Amplifier_-1_10052_10002_-49975310?cm_mmc=Google-_-Brands+Marshall-_-Marshall+AMPS-_-Marshall+MG30DFX&cm_guid=1-_-100000000000000103300-_-4419516047

Link to Sound Clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJTJZiJxN1Q
ps: it's really subtle in this, but it's the best i could get. i marked the easiest spot to hear it in the video. I wore headphones while listening, so it might be best to try that if you can't hear it through speakers.

EDIT: It is NOT subtle at all in person...the noise is very obvious and has been noticed by musicians and non-musicians alike when i play

Thanks for any advice you can give
Last edited by Blktiger0 at Sep 26, 2010,
Quote by salgala2000
Can we get sound clips?

Maybe, but i doubt it still makes the noise line out, which is how i record...i'll work on that...

EDIT: The original post now has a link to a clip.
Last edited by Blktiger0 at Sep 26, 2010,
To use your Zoom you need to go into the clean amp channel and have everything flattened. This way the Zoom becomes like a pre-amp and MGs do prefer only one pre-amp. If you are using it with any dirtortion on the amp, you'll get these nasty noises because you are literally feeding distortion into distortion.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
To use your Zoom you need to go into the clean amp channel and have everything flattened. This way the Zoom becomes like a pre-amp and MGs do prefer only one pre-amp. If you are using it with any dirtortion on the amp, you'll get these nasty noises because you are literally feeding distortion into distortion.

I know better than to distort distortion, but define flattened. Do you mean the EQ? The clean channel on my amp only has Bass and Treble controls, and the pedal has optional EQ setting that can be altered or bypassed.
cheap solid state amps and cheap multi fx units simply don't go well together - even my old Peavey Bandit used to sound like crap with a Zoom multifx. Using any of the effects on the distortion channel resulted in a load of noise, even simple things like chorus. Sounded acceptable on the clean channel but still not brilliant and that was on a fairly solid amp with a decent amount of headroom.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
cheap solid state amps and cheap multi fx units simply don't go well together - even my old Peavey Bandit used to sound like crap with a Zoom multifx. Using any of the effects on the distortion channel resulted in a load of noise, even simple things like chorus. Sounded acceptable on the clean channel but still not brilliant and that was on a fairly solid amp with a decent amount of headroom.

I've used this through a Squire 15 watt, Fender 15 watt, Peavey 65 watt, Peavey 15 watt, Fender 65 watt, and multiple PA's with absolutely no problems other than some noise that the onboard noise gate took care of with ease. This is the only amp that has ever had problems meshing with the pedal.
Sorry for the double post, but could it be that i'm not using the right power adapter for the pedal? I have to use the same one as my Crybaby. I checked that the symbols on it match (i don't know their names or what they mean, but i know they have ot match exactly) and i think one of the number may have been off from the adapter i used to use, but i'm not sure. The adapter i'm using says 200mA and i think the old one may have been 300mA.