Hey guys I have a few questions regarding a three channel dual rectifier...I am a noob with regards to these amps

ok I have on of these amps at home and after messing with it for a while I haven't been able to get my desired tone yet, I tried both the distorted channel 2 and 3, but they sound kind of harsh and treble-ish even when I roll down the treble knob to 0. Can you guys recommend me some presets or is my amp just defective?
Also what is the difference regarding sound between pluggin it into 16 ohms and 8 ohms? Last question: I've seen guys using a maxon od808...is this necessary in getting a good tone? Thanks guys it's I'm a Rectifier noob
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Is there a Presence knob on your amp? If so, turn it down to 5 or 6.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
You're clearly not turning the ouput up very much. Are you gigging or using the Recto as a bedroom amp? What cab are you using? Settings?

Don't mismatch impedance levels. Using one over the other does not have anything to do with altering tone.
well as of now, I am using it in my bedroom to make sure everything is alright, but I do plan to gig it later. Today I used the 2 celestion vintage 30's in my mesa boogie maverick combo amp and it is wired so that the speakers have a 1/4 jack which plugged into a jack in the head part of the combo which is labelled "8-16 ohms" so I have no idead whether the speakers are meant to be used with 8 or 16 ohms. With reagrds to the setting I basically had it in channel three modern presence: 10 o'clock gain: 1 o'clock master volume: max treble/mid/bass: 12 o'clock I had the output level at like 9 o'clock it was in vacuum mode with it on bold

Edit: I was trying it in 8 ohms and when I put it on 16 ohms it dramatically improved the tone, but it is still a bit treble-ish
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

Last edited by megano28 at Sep 26, 2010,
Quote by megano28
well as of now, I am using it in my bedroom to make sure everything is alright, but I do plan to gig it later. Today I used the 2 celestion vintage 30's in my mesa boogie maverick combo amp and it is wired so that the speakers have a 1/4 jack which plugged into a jack in the head part of the combo which is labelled "8-16 ohms" so I have no idead whether the speakers are meant to be used with 8 or 16 ohms. With reagrds to the setting I basically had it in channel three modern presence: 10 o'clock gain: 1 o'clock master volume: max treble/mid/bass: 12 o'clock I had the output level at like 9 o'clock it was in vacuum mode with it on bold

Edit: I was trying it in 8 ohms and when I put it on 16 ohms it dramatically improved the tone, but it is still a bit treble-ish

There's a few things that I see wrong with this config.

It really depends on what tone you're chasing after.

For me, the recto sounds better with the bass up and the treble up with the mid still about noon. The EQ on the rectos is quite a bit different than normal I find. It responds differently with different controls.

Like, "scooping" the mids on a recto isn't actually "scooping" them. Also, setting it to diode rectification will greatly improve the tightness and overall low end kick from the amp. Try these things out and come back.
Please please please tell me you weren't swapping from 8 to 16ohm while the amp was on.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Better than my plan, look at those perfect little dick suckin' lips!
Kid's a natural I tell yah!Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
Marshall JCM 900 SL-X
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
Fender Mexican Standard Telecaster
Hey I built a guitar
Quote by Steve Holt
Please please please tell me you weren't swapping from 8 to 16ohm while the amp was on.
Also tell us you didn't mismatch impedance?

Sounds like you need to read the manual.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Steve Holt

theres one way to kill an amp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSborNTfjDM

try these settings out, also read your manual theres a massive section on how to eq the amp properly. Mesa's are notoriously hard to dial in a good sound if you've never used them before. give it time and you'll get there it took me about 6 months lol :P
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Try talking to some of the guys on the boogie board too, theres a section just for rectifier amps.
Its at grailtone.com just click on the boogie board tab.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by iLaxative
Wonder how this kid got a recto.

meh im 18 and i've got a recto, its not that big a deal. if you have the cash to get one why not??
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
no I didn't switch it whle the amp was on, I know better than to do that while it's on.

I don't believe I mismatched the impedence as I matched it 8-8ohms on time and 16-16 ohms the next time, the amp was off when I made the switch ok? I also bought an older recto so I do not have the manual.

I know I sound like a noob because of this iLaxative, but I've been playing for over 7 years, I barely upgraded to a tube amp last year and I had been using combos for the years before that. If we were ever to meet face to face I could show you exactly why I bought this amp

Thanks Guys for all the help;it is greatly appreciated
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

Quote by megano28

I also bought an older recto so I do not have the manual.

I know I sound like a noob because of this iLaxative, but I've been playing for over 7 years, I barely upgraded to a tube amp last year and I had been using combos for the years before that. If we were ever to meet face to face I could show you exactly why I bought this amp

Thanks Guys for all the help;it is greatly appreciated

the manauls are on mesa boogies website.

EDIT: someone linked it up their ...
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Hey guys if I run the amp through 2 tubes, what would be the difference in terms of volume?
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51