Ok, I've already released a demo, but that was like...2 years ago
I feel the urge to release something right now, but I'm not sure what....Maybe something that will build my fanbase before I release my actual EP sometime next year?

I really want to put something cool out, what should it be? A project? just random songs? covers?

Any ideas?
Depends on what works best to achieve your goals.

What are your goals?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris

What are your goals?

CT

"something that will build my fanbase...."

did you read it?

another demo! with maybe some covers and a couple originals on it
Quote by heymickey!
Maybe something that will build my fanbase before I release my actual EP sometime next year?

Yes, I did read it. What does the word "maybe" followed by the question mark at the end mean to you?

To me, it means a suggestion that the person is not sure of. That's not a goal.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

What type of music do you play?

I like the idea of having a "pre-demo" to your actual EP release, get some hype going for the new "EP". Like you said do 2 or 3 covers, then throw in an original or two. I would try to do home recordings, just to keep costs down; because if your going to be releasing an EP, i think most of your money needs to be going towards that instead of a professionally sounding demo. Don't think I mean make some cheap sounding POS though lol. I just don't think you need to be dumping $1000 or something into a full studio recording when you have something else coming out soon.

What are you doing right now as far as shows? Adding a mix of covers to your set could provide you with more opportunity to find shows, thus building your fan base.

and like axeman asked; What is your overall goal? And what would the goal of the new demo be?
Last edited by scguitarking927 at Sep 25, 2010,
Quote by axemanchris

What are your goals?

CT

I want to build a fanbase and wanna conjure up interest in my music, you know? I'd really like to get people interested in what I'm going to put out next.

Quote by scguitarking927
What type of music do you play?

I like the idea of having a "pre-demo" to your actual EP release, get some hype going for the new "EP". Like you said do 2 or 3 covers, then throw in an original or two. I would try to do home recordings, just to keep costs down; because if your going to be releasing an EP, i think most of your money needs to be going towards that instead of a professionally sounding demo. Don't think I mean make some cheap sounding POS though lol. I just don't think you need to be dumping $1000 or something into a full studio recording when you have something else coming out soon.

What are you doing right now as far as shows? Adding a mix of covers to your set could provide you with more opportunity to find shows, thus building your fan base.

and like axeman asked; What is your overall goal? And what would the goal of the new demo be?

Yeah, you're making sense here. What do you think about doing a "all covers" demo, then the EP next year?

Well, I've gotta be honest with you in saying that I haven't did 1 show, ZERO SHOWS in almost a year now. Pathetic, I know, but __________________(add excuse here).

Just scroll up a little bit & you'll see the answer to your last questions...
Quote by heymickey!
I want to build a fanbase and wanna conjure up interest in my music, you know? I'd really like to get people interested in what I'm going to put out next.

Well most people play gigs and release music. When was the last time you bought an EP without hearing the music or seeing the band first?

Quote by heymickey!
Yeah, you're making sense here. What do you think about doing a "all covers" demo, then the EP next year?

Are you a cover band? Do you buy albums from cover bands? Admittedly the last CD I bought was Santana's Guitar Heaven, a cd of covers, but I bought it because I liked his previous music. I don't just go out of my way to buy albums of covers when I can buy the originals.

Quote by heymickey!
Well, I've gotta be honest with you in saying that I haven't did 1 show, ZERO SHOWS in almost a year now. Pathetic, I know, but __________________(add excuse here).

I'll guess it's because you don't have a band. Get one, play gigs, do all the stuff that other people do. If you record an EP, that's great because you can sell them at your shows.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Okay... to build a fan base....

Recording covers will be a waste of time. First off, for each song you sell or give away, you will be paying about 8 cents. Let's say you put five covers on a CD... that's 40 cents per CD in mechanical royalty fees. Let's say you give away 200 of them. That's $80. Sure, not a ton of money, but what does it get you? Not much, usually.

And, as AlanHB said... people generally don't get excited about some band they've never heard of releasing recordings of covers. You know those compilation CDs that they sell in department stores.... "Stars of Studio XYZ performing hits as recorded by Grand Funk Railroad" or whatever? Case in point. Nobody buys them.

Without gigging, your recordings will pretty much fall on deaf ears.

Think of it this way.... as an artist, your products are your recordings and your performances. Unfortunately, it is hard to sell recordings without getting the word out there that they exist. How do you do that? Two things... gigging, and media. Get your local music mag, newspaper, radio or TV station to talk you up. That's awesome promotion and publicity and will reach more eyes and ears than a single show will. But guess what... they won't talk about you unless you have something to talk about. Approach them with an actual CD release, and/or a major gig, and they're interested. A single, a demo, a "just another show" show.... they couldn't care less.

In short, your next viable option is ONLY doing shows. Use the money from those shows to finance a proper release - whether it be on CD, vinyl, or as a download release - but one with proper recording and design standards.

You can't build a fan base without gigging and media.

(that said, never say never... but you do want to increase your odds of success, right....)

CT

Quote by heymickey!

Just scroll up a little bit & you'll see the answer to your last questions...

So what is your target audience going to be? Teens, young adults, adults 30yrs+? If your playing for an older audience at all doing a cover and doing it well is a good idea. Same thing for the teens and young adults, I've seen some acoustic artist around my area do some amazing things with pop songs "spin my head" by flo rida for example.

As AlanHB asked. Are you a cover band? If not, I would do like two covers and 1 original. I would personally not sell these. And especially if you can record them yourself you can really keep costs down and will have some new, "fresher" music to promote your future EP. The bands I always played with had 2 or 3 covers in their set, it helps especially in the beginning to have music that an audience knows and can sing a long to. I've always done Fat Lip by Sum 41, just full of energy and always got a great crowd response and gets everyone in the band involved on vocals.

I always tell my bands to keep their recorded music up to date. A lot changes over a year or two. Putting out some free 3 song demos every 6-8 months is a good idea (in my opinion).

Other than that, start getting shows lol