Page 1 of 2
okay, before i start off, i want to clear out that i'm not starting this thread because i have some debate or for the sake of my homework. i am korean-america and i was born and grew up most of my life in america. but i graduated university here in seoul, south korea and now i'm looking for a job here.

as you all know, south korea is one of the countries in which all men have to serve in the military for about 2 years. i hold a US citizenship so i don't have to go to the army. but what irritates me is korea's point of view with the army. for example, my relatives, especially my grandparents, aunts, uncles (the aged ones), think all men HAVE to go to the army. if they don't go, then they're not a man. and my argument to that is "then are men from other countries not men?" they believe that men learn discipline, morals, etc.

my friends that did serve their military service say that it is a waste of time. they become stupid because they're isolated from society for 2 years, and after they finish their service, they're bound to come back to their normal selves after a few months. so clearly, the effect of military is not as great as it is. i'm sure there are SOME advantages to serving in the military..

anyways, what is your opinion on this? the old conversative people say if we don't serve the army, then North Korea will destroy South Korea. but i highly doubt that is the case.. because South Korea is allied with the US, so the North knows that if they f**k with the South, then they'll get raped by the US.

anyways, any thoughts and opinions?
My Axes:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 Telecaster
Fender 62 Stratocaster
Fender American Standard Telecaster
military service can give you valuable tools throughout life, teach you discipline, how to work in a team, and give you the confidence to tackle various challenges throughout life. but the military isn't for everybody and it shouldn't be a mandatory option.

some people just aren't military people. some people are.
Live your life for yourself.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
I think that there are a lot of smart, awesome people who weren't in the military.

I also think there a lot of smart, awesome people who were.

It's the person, not the drill sergeant yelling at them, that makes someone a manly man or not.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by toogoodd

anyways, what is your opinion on this? the old conversative people say if we don't serve the army, then North Korea will destroy South Korea. but i highly doubt that is the case.. because South Korea is allied with the US, so the North knows that if they f**k with the South, then they'll get raped by the US.

anyways, any thoughts and opinions?

Well that's the silly part. I'm tired of us defending the South. If they can't handle it alone after almost 60 years then I don't think it should be our problem anymore.

I don't see why you should join the military. I don't think service should be compulsory. I think you're more likely to get dedicated soldiers when your army is made up of volunteers.
South Korea is one of the few nations on the planet that have a bordering regime whose intentions are the destruction of it's neighbor.\
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Doctor Matthews

amirite?

the south had their asses handed to them, yep your right.
i'm active military right now. BY CHOICE. i know it was better for me than inevitably flunking out of college. yes it taught me discipline and a new skill set i can use afterwards. thee are also benefits to the military that people never think of when they think about joining.... FREE education!! the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill pays 100% of your college tuition, and basically pays for you to be a full time student after your enlistment. you dont need to worry about balancing your studies and a full tim e job to pay your way through school cos the military has you totally covered. you will make more lifelong friends in the military because you get experiences you cant get anywhere else. boot camp isnt what you see in full metal jacket. even in the marines. its a different environment. i think everyone should do at least 2 years. to learn a thing or two. no everyone is wired to do 20 years, but EVERYONE can get something out of a 2 year stint. hell, its much better than being DRAFTED!
its ****ing stupid to force people to do things they dont want to do.

its even more stupid to judge someone for not doing something the dont want to do.

thats why the US hasnt reinstated the draft
I don't think the point is that mandatory service creates a better army, but rather that service in the military creates a better all-around person. Therefore, it should be mandatory to create a better over-all society.
Quote by FireReaction

some people just aren't military people. some people are.

Very true words sir.

It can teach you certain things, but only if you are the military type. For example my brother joined up to the UK Army and its doing him the world of good. If i joined however, id probably get kicked out almost instantly - well I doubt id even get in actually....
Quote by learnerlegend
my dog's barks are more interesting than their 4/4 hits

^ Regarding AC/DC
Quote by westley23j
FREE education!! the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill pays 100% of your college tuition, and basically pays for you to be a full time student after your enlistment. you dont need to worry about balancing your studies and a full tim e job to pay your way through school cos the military has you totally covered.

actually thats only if the state you live in has enough funding.

my uncle was in iraq for 2 years(or more, i cant remember exactly) and when he came back ohio was out of money and didnt pay for his tuition.

so now he was to be a part time student with a part time job for a hell of a lot longer than he would have if they wouldnt have ****ed him over.
Last edited by rickyj at Sep 25, 2010,
The truth is, Some men are muse, some men are poets, some men are military, some are thinkers, some are do'ers and so on... Lest we not forget, those who REFUSE to serve are not men, they are called BURDEN, as they serve no purpose but they space in which they waste.

I served by choice. 4 years in Iraq. Honorable Discharge. You're Welcome.
Quote by Metal5115
Very true words sir.

It can teach you certain things, but only if you are the military type. For example my brother joined up to the UK Army and its doing him the world of good. If i joined however, id probably get kicked out almost instantly - well I doubt id even get in actually....

well, but the point is, if you were required to join the military and could not be kicked out, would you benefit as an over-all person from that?
Quote by nmitchell076
I don't think the point is that mandatory service creates a better army, but rather that service in the military creates a better all-around person.

hell no it doesnt. my uncle was a truck driver in iraq for 2 years and when he came back he was a total dick, and still is.

plus he couldnt drive for 6 months after he got back because his instinct was to swerve every single bump he saw because of all the roadside bombings(his truck hit one when he was in the passenger seat).
Quote by rickyj
actually thats only if the state you live in has enough funding.

my uncle was in iraq for 2 years(or more, i cant remember exactly) and when he came back ohio was out of money and didnt pay for his tuition.

so now he was to be a part time student with a part time job for a hell of a lot longer than he would have if they wouldnt have ****ed him over.

and when did your uncle serve, exactly? im recruiting for the Navy. the GI Bill is one of our big selling points. until you show me PROOF that its based on state funding, im gonna guess your uncle is making excuses and placing blame on someone instead of him admitting he just didnt really want to go to college
Quote by charles_ebarb
The truth is, Some men are muse, some men are poets, some men are military, some are thinkers, some are do'ers and so on... Lest we not forget, those who REFUSE to serve are not men, they are called BURDEN, as they serve no purpose but they space in which they waste.

Look, I totally respect service, before I get into anything. I understand the unpayable debt citizens have towards soldiers. But calling people who don't serve burdens is ignorant. Some people (me included) believe in peace, and it should totally be your choice who or what you risk your life for. Not everyone believes that bloodshed solves problems.
Quote by charles_ebarb

Brainwashed
Quote by westley23j
and when did your uncle serve, exactly? im recruiting for the Navy. the GI Bill is one of our big selling points. until you show me PROOF that its based on state funding, im gonna guess your uncle is making excuses and placing blame on someone instead of him admitting he just didnt really want to go to college

hes going to college(paying for himself) right now

it was a few years ago, maybe 2004-2006
Quote by charles_ebarb

you sound like your asshurt because you wasted 4 years of your life and everyone else got to live for those 4 years.
Quote by rickyj
you sound like your asshurt because you wasted 4 years of your life and everyone else got to live for those 4 years.

Kinda harsh...
Quote by rickyj

Ok he sounds elitist because he served and thinks he's Mr Cool Guy but you can't just assume that.
Don't bother serving in the army, let alone in an army you don't hold any particular allegiance to (except for your nationality).
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by metaldud536
Ok he sounds elitist because he served and thinks he's Mr Cool Guy but you can't just assume that.

I'm better than YOU an rickyj both. I am not elitist, I am just better than both of you.
Quote by charles_ebarb
I'm better than YOU an rickyj both. I am not elitist, I am just better than both of you.

this sounds like the definition of an elitist...
Quote by charles_ebarb

Elitist, brainwashed, and apparently judgmental too.
Quote by charles_ebarb

From ED: "Unwarranted Self-Importance (USI) is a disease that gives you the feeling that you are actually worth something despite not having made any contributions to anything at all, thus making yourself look like a complete twat. "
Last edited by nmitchell076 at Sep 26, 2010,
i dont have a country, so i cant serve any military even if i did want to,

most arab countries, force people to serve 2-3 years in the army right after graduating, if someone is planning to continue his education, MSc or PHD, he has to waste 3 years in the army after his BSc and then go for a master degree,

i think that is a waste of time, spending 2 or 3 years of your doing nothing except knowing how to make your bed and how to clean a gun, of course the mandatory military services in arab countries dont pay shit, you spend three years their, the only thing you get is just food and a place to sleep, also during this time you are not allowed to take any holiday or have contact with anyone in the outside.
il sara7a il sara7a, i made you a goat but i eated it

we are not racist, we hate everyone equally
Quote by metaldud536
How so?

If you think you are so great with your idea of "peace" why the hell did your lame as pick a fight on someone elses's thread?

Because "peace" is that "brass ring" you'll never get your hands on. Nothing in this life is free, you end up paying for it somehow. If you weren't so phucking stupid, you would've realised that by now.

If you want, you can go over there where the war is and see how far you get preaching "peace" if you'd like.

The funny thing is, you oppose it and badmouth those that have served. You are no better than those losers down south, protesting at Service men and women's funerals.
To top it off, I am sure your father had a hand in, vietnam, or maybe in Korea(Korean War) and maybe your Grandfather was in WWII. You make it easy for others to spit in their face for serving. Afterall you are doing it to them, when you question me for serving for YOU. You thankless piece-of-Shit.
Quote by charles_ebarb
If you think you are so great with your idea of "peace" why the hell did your lame as pick a fight on someone elses's thread?

Because "peace" is that "brass ring" you'll never get your hands on. Nothing in this life is free, you end up paying for it somehow. If you weren't so phucking stupid, you would've realised that by now.

If you want, you can go over there where the war is and see how far you get preaching "peace" if you'd like.

The funny thing is, you oppose it and badmouth those that have served. You are no better than those losers down south, protesting at Service men and women's funerals.
To top it off, I am sure your father had a hand in, vietnam, or maybe in Korea(Korean War) and maybe your Grandfather was in WWII. You make it easy for others to spit in their face for serving. Afterall you are doing it to them, when you question me for serving for YOU. You thankless piece-of-Shit.

Err, when did I badmouth people who served? I badmouthed you because you're so arrogant.

And I've realised nothing is free. But what have we gained so far being in Iraq? Saddam Hussain? He's dead now what? Bin Laden? When we catch him then what? We free the people of Afghanistan? As far as I can remember, I'm an American citizen. Not an Afghan. I gain nothing from the peace they get from being free from the Taliban. Not that I oppose their freedom.

As far as my father goes, he's an immigrant frrom Mexico.

Also I'd like to thank all the great people who served our country. BUT NOT YOU.
Quote by metaldud536
Err, when did I badmouth people who served? I badmouthed you because you're so arrogant.

And I've realised nothing is free. But what have we gained so far being in Iraq? Saddam Hussain? He's dead now what? Bin Laden? When we catch him then what? We free the people of Afghanistan? As far as I can remember, I'm an American citizen. Not an Afghan. I gain nothing from the peace they get from being free from the Taliban. Not that I oppose their freedom.

Also I'd like to thank all the great people who served our country. BUT NOT YOU.

Please don't turn this into a discussion about politics, save that for the politics thread. This thread should be about the merits of mandatory service, lets keep it on subject.
Quote by metaldud536

Don't worry dude, if it weren't for assholes like me, pieces of shit like YOU wouldn't be here.

Did you honestly have to admit to their entire thread that you are a anchor baby? You could've just PM'd me that.
Quote by charles_ebarb
Don't worry dude, if it weren't for assholes like me, pieces of shit like YOU wouldn't be here.

Did you honestly have to admit to their entire thread that you are a anchor baby? You could've just PM'd me that.

you have just completely invalidated every ounce of credibility you once had.

you are a self-important asshole.

And I know that is unwarranted, because I have personal friends and relatives in military service who are humble, and to those people I give my deepest and utmost respects.

But you sir, do not deserve that respect.
Page 1 of 2