does anyone know how to make a guitar sound like a banjo using effects?
Well, you could probably get reasonably close by boosting the treble and killing the bass and most of the mids on your amplifier and then compressing the living sh%t out of the signal. Still, if you want a banjo tone than I think you should just get a banjo. It is a unique instrument, after all.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
As said before, a lot of presence and treble, kill your mids and bass. Picking as close as you can to the bridge will help, as well. I can tell you, as a banjo player, most of what makes that great banjo sound is the player themself.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by obeythepenguin
You could always cheat and get a 6-string banjo (basically a guitar neck on a banjo body). Alternately, get a Martin Backpacker and fingerpick rapidly by the bridge.

theyre HORRIBLE to play and have a terrible bass sound. trust me on this.

Quote by rooster456
As said before, a lot of presence and treble, kill your mids and bass. Picking as close as you can to the bridge will help, as well. I can tell you, as a banjo player, most of what makes that great banjo sound is the player themself.

(look at my username)
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by obeythepenguin
The 6-string banjos, or the Backpackers? I've traveled with my Backpacker for years (just had it out yesterday, in fact). My only complaint is that they can't take decently heavy strings.

6 string banjos. my old one had .13's on it (which i use normally) and they were looser than paris hiltons vag.

also, the bass tone is mudder than meshuggah.

you get the idea. oh, and shit intonation.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
put strings on a snare drum.

or buy a resonator.

but srsly, the piece of paper trick is worth a shot.