So...

My friend and I formed a post-hardcore project over the summer, and we just got the final mixes for our demo back today. Thought I'd shamelessly self-promote and give you all the chance to critique our playing xD.

Seven Months In by Quiet Travels | MySpace Music
Portraits of a Shattered City by Quiet Travels | MySpace Music

Lemme know what you guys think! Flames, criticism, etc. welcome.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Might just be me but i hear no bass what so ever. and i hope you didn't go to a studio, because if you did you got ripped pff -.-. Vocals need to be eq'ued a lot more
i think UG should have a sub forum to the gear ads... for like recording equipment. not just guitars and amps and that stuff
Both songs
The clean singing reminds me very much of Maynard James Keenan in the clean parts. Like it, but you could utilize it more. Maybe do some harmonies? Musically it's nice - the riffs feel a bit... odd, but I guess that's what you were going for. I think you need to work on the harsh vocals, though, the clean ones are much better. From what I could catch, the lyrics seemed pretty good, and I liked the titles on both songs. Mixing-wise, the clean vocals seem to be a bit too loud, while the harsh vocals are a bit too quiet. The instruments work well, though.

Seven Months
I like the acoustic part, but here the screaming really became annoying. Also, I felt like the song could've ended after that. Not that what comes after is bad, but it starts feeling kinda' unstructured

Portraits
I liked both the vocal melodies and the riffs more in this one, I think. Again, I like the clean parts, but the screams need work, especially at those places. I liked the breakdown-thing at around 2.40

Please crit my music at https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1362959
Quote by sk8a123
Might just be me but i hear no bass what so ever. and i hope you didn't go to a studio, because if you did you got ripped pff -.-. Vocals need to be eq'ued a lot more

We did go to a studio... I think there is something wrong with your setup, because through a $1400 pair of Mackies and my KRK Rockits it sounds perfectly fine. You may want to check your EQ in Winamp or whatever.

Quote by Nashag
Both songs
The clean singing reminds me very much of Maynard James Keenan in the clean parts. Like it, but you could utilize it more. Maybe do some harmonies? Musically it's nice - the riffs feel a bit... odd, but I guess that's what you were going for. I think you need to work on the harsh vocals, though, the clean ones are much better. From what I could catch, the lyrics seemed pretty good, and I liked the titles on both songs. Mixing-wise, the clean vocals seem to be a bit too loud, while the harsh vocals are a bit too quiet. The instruments work well, though.

Seven Months
I like the acoustic part, but here the screaming really became annoying. Also, I felt like the song could've ended after that. Not that what comes after is bad, but it starts feeling kinda' unstructured

Portraits
I liked both the vocal melodies and the riffs more in this one, I think. Again, I like the clean parts, but the screams need work, especially at those places. I liked the breakdown-thing at around 2.40

Please crit my music at https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1362959

Thanks for the thoughts! The dirty vocals are pretty divisive in that you either love 'em or hate 'em. My vocalist started out doing vocal fry screams for deathy-kinda stuff, but he's moved towards these because they're more in the vein of the genre we're going for. I personally like it but I know it's not lots of peoples' bag, so understandable.

The varying vocal volume was also done in a few places for artistic effect, even though it's the "wrong" volume, although I'm not sure those are the spots that you're talking about....

I'll listen to your stuff as soon as my roommate wakes up (my headphones are kinda meh-sounding).
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
great

sounds a little like silverstein
Gear:
Dean Flying V
Franciscan Model A ClassicalGuitar