I was thinking about getting a strat, but my local store sold out of the certain model, and I started wondering which was better, and more varied in tones. Many people said Strats were better for lead, but Telecasters could play both, and that a tele could sound like a strat but a strat cant replicate a telecaster. I was just wondering what you guys think about it? Mostly I play classic rock like Hendrix, Clapton, but I recently started getting into metal. Just wondering what you think.
If you're gonna play Hendrix or Clapton, then a Strat, for sure. However, if you're gonna play metal, I really wouldn't recommend either of them. Of the two, the Tele is definitely more versatile in my opinion, its been used by everybody from surf rock, to hardcore punk, to bands like The Police and The Clash.
"Just because you are a character, does not mean that you have character"
-Pulp Fiction
Go to a store and try them both out. Strats are punchier and have more 'quack'. Teles have more bite and are twangy.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

Well, the best advice for anyone in the market for a new guitar is to compare the two. Play a few different teles and a few different strats through a comparable amp to your own (or bring your own in) and decide which sound you like the best.
Personally, I'm a fan of Telecasters.
Quote by ElMaco
My last pay check was £0 working 0 hours. I can't believe how easy it was
First thing, neither of the guitars can sound like the other, so don't use that mindset. Strats have a more "pop" or "spank" type of sound while teles have a twangier sound. Teles are probably more versatile, but strats have a more unique type of sound. I personally like playing strats more. But I'm not gonna say anything bad about a tele, because they're fantastic guitars. I play stuff ranging from Radiohead style to new Switchfoot type stuff.
If it's creative, true to your musical goal, and it sounds good, put it in the song.

1. Guitar, delay, verb, amp, and creativity.
2. Well-tuned acoustic piano and creativity.
3. A bottle of water.
I have played my friends strat, which is an american special i think, and I have played a crappy squire tele, so I cant really compare between them. The tele sounds more fleshed out and has a meatier sound, if that makes sense.
i like strats for clean tone and teles for overdrive/distortion
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
The eletronics on a Strat feel more awkward to me. I literally have no use for a middle pickup.
Quote by catastrofx617
If you're gonna play Hendrix or Clapton, then a Strat, for sure. However, if you're gonna play metal, I really wouldn't recommend either of them. Of the two, the Tele is definitely more versatile in my opinion, its been used by everybody from surf rock, to hardcore punk, to bands like The Police and The Clash.

Really? Can't play Metal on a Strat? Tell that to Dave Murray and Janick Gers from Iron Maiden, and Yngvie Malmsteen. I play Strats and Metal and don't have any problem at all, idiot! Get a Strat, it's much more versatile than a Telecaster. I've been playing for 37 years and I know what I'm talking about.
If u are getting into metal, get the HSS strat.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by benn913
I was thinking about getting a strat, but my local store sold out of the certain model, and I started wondering which was better, and more varied in tones. Many people said Strats were better for lead, but Telecasters could play both, and that a tele could sound like a strat but a strat cant replicate a telecaster. I was just wondering what you guys think about it? Mostly I play classic rock like Hendrix, Clapton, but I recently started getting into metal. Just wondering what you think.
It appears like you might need at least 2 guitars: a Strat or Tele and one with HH PUs. You'll need an all-around amp or 2 to get the tones you need - clean and gain.

Tele's usually have a wider range in sound. The angled single-coil on the metal bridge gives a very twangy and punchy sound, but the neck pup is very smooth (I can get some decent LPish tones out of mine by dialing the tone down a bit).

The strat is a complicated guitar to analyze because of all the different configurations it comes in, but it's sound is kind of inbetween the two extremes of the telecaster, but with 5 different possibilities instead of 3.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Quote by jeffo46
Really? Can't play Metal on a Strat? Tell that to Dave Murray and Janick Gers from Iron Maiden, and Yngvie Malmsteen. I play Strats and Metal and don't have any problem at all, idiot! Get a Strat, it's much more versatile than a Telecaster. I've been playing for 37 years and I know what I'm talking about.

Chill out man, no need to get so Uffy!!!!!!!

Thrench
Ibanez AS73
Squier Blonde Standard Telecaster
Home built Telecaster Deluxe
Vox AC4TV amp
Vox V845 Wah Wah
Marshall reverb
Korg Pandora PX4 multi effects
Digitech Death Metal distortion pedal

God is busy, save yourselves!!!
Quote by Jyrgen
The eletronics on a Strat feel more awkward to me. I literally have no use for a middle pickup.

Middle pickup works great for blues, also, if it's reverse wound, it helps you get a humbucker in positions 2 and 4, so it's as if it has 5 pickups instead of 3.

I think strats are the most versatile guitars out there, drop in the right combo of pickups and it'll do anything you want it to. I think Tele's are very limited guitars, having only two single coil pickups, you can't do much with em. In all reality though, the strat and tele are the almost same guitar, both are made of the same wood, except one has a different type of single coil, one has 2 single coils, one has 3, and one has a trem and one doesn't.