Hello,

I've got a crappy Epi LP Special II that I want to use in B standard and Drop A. It is 24.75 scale. In E standard tuning I like to use an 11-52 gauge set. Now, I've just ordered a seven string set (11-58) because I would prefer to have a wound g string, unwound when they are that thick just really annoys me. I'm not going to be using the 11, so my guitar will pretty much be a seven string with six strings. I think that the 58 will not be heavy enough to keep it in Drop A, Jeff Loomis uses a 70 for the B string and he only tunes to Bb.

So are there any other options without buying to many of the strings separately that will allow me to have a wound G-string and a heavy enough bottom string? Does anyone make hybrid sets like what I have described for seven strings? Or 6 string sets with a wound G string?

I currently use Ernie Ball strings on all my guitars.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Last edited by sammo_boi at Sep 25, 2010,
Without directly answering all your questions I will say that a lot of 7 strings come with 10-56's and lots of people throw it in Drop A from there-- sure its a lil floppy but its not bad. If you're using an 11-58 7-string set and throwing out the 11 then im sure you'll probably be ok with the 58... although come to think of it with a 24.75 scale that may be a little tricky.....

How about some d'addario super low gauge strings like the 12-60's or the 13-62's (wound 3rd)?

http://store.daddario.com/category/339134/EXL148_Extra_Heavy_12-60

http://store.daddario.com/category/145836/EXL158_Baritone_Guitar_Light_13-62

EDIT: NOTE that you may need to modify the nut on your guitar because the 60's and 62's may be too thick to fit in your guitar as is.

EDIT#2: Maybe try looking to trade your Epi for another guitar on the used market that has a 25.5 scale. Having that extra scale length will really help (just make sure its a fixed bridge with a humbucker in the bridge).
Last edited by AkiraSpectrum at Sep 26, 2010,
well your guitar is just gonna sound bad but if you want to do it I think people have done it with 12s. You can grab dr ddt drop down tuning sets or their regular 12 set.

It's not gonna sound good but you'll be able to do it.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
Without directly answering all your questions I will say that a lot of 7 strings come with 10-56's and lots of people throw it in Drop A from there-- sure its a lil floppy but its not bad. If you're using an 11-58 7-string set and throwing out the 11 then im sure you'll probably be ok with the 58... although come to think of it with a 24.75 scale that may be a little tricky.....

How about some d'addario super low gauge strings like the 12-60's or the 13-62's (wound 3rd)?

http://store.daddario.com/category/339134/EXL148_Extra_Heavy_12-60

http://store.daddario.com/category/145836/EXL158_Baritone_Guitar_Light_13-62

EDIT: NOTE that you may need to modify the nut on your guitar because the 60's and 62's may be too thick to fit in your guitar as is.

EDIT#2: Maybe try looking to trade your Epi for another guitar on the used market that has a 25.5 scale. Having that extra scale length will really help (just make sure its a fixed bridge with a humbucker in the bridge).

the first set should be adequate for this tuning. i play in C standard and use d addario ej22 (.13-.56) not loose but not super tight. they should be pretty similar to playing a set of .11s in E standard on your guitar. if you want a tighter feel go with the second set.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
I'm in Drop A# on my SG with 12-52s. The low E's a little loose but that might be because I tuned straight from Drop C down to A#.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Hmm that 13-62 set looks ideal. The main thing is the G string. I'd much prefer it to be wound because i can't stand the feel of like a 24 that isn't wound. The 24.75 scale annoys me. But I'm keeping this guitar so I can use it for parts when I build my own. I currently have a 12-56 set in D standard and the heaviest string doesn't exactly feel tight, so there is no way it is going anywhere near an A.

12-52 might be alright if you only go that low every so often. But I have other guitars for drop c, drop b etc. So this is for permanent B Standard tuning.
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
It's difficult to achieve with a 24.75" scale, you might have to go as high as .13 gauge strings, which will require you to also widen your nut on your guitar.

You do realize, though, such a low tuning with such thick strings will result in a very muddy tone due to the extremely low quality pickups? Not saying there's anything wrong with doing this, it's just the tone of the guitar itself will be pretty awful.
Last edited by TheAbsentOne at Sep 26, 2010,
Nah I've swapped out the pickups to my old stock ESP ones (not great but miles and miles better than the Epi ones) so its not going to sound too terrible and I'm sure my amp will cover up any muddyness anyway. This guitar is only for mucking around on too as my main guitars are in more normal tunings.
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Quote by sammo_boi
Hmm that 13-62 set looks ideal. The main thing is the G string. I'd much prefer it to be wound because i can't stand the feel of like a 24 that isn't wound. The 24.75 scale annoys me. But I'm keeping this guitar so I can use it for parts when I build my own. I currently have a 12-56 set in D standard and the heaviest string doesn't exactly feel tight, so there is no way it is going anywhere near an A.

12-52 might be alright if you only go that low every so often. But I have other guitars for drop c, drop b etc. So this is for permanent B Standard tuning.

you have a guitar in D standard with a 56 and its still not tight? maybe your guitar needs a setup because that sounds quite odd. My LP is in Drop C w/ a 52 and when I put it in Drop D standard its incredibly tight.
i would not suggest using a short scale guitar for baritone tuning...but i have seen it done...i know in flames uses c standard and bjorn uses a 13-68. on a gibson les paul ..its a bit extreme...i have a mc-200 max cavalera viper in b standard but my guitar is 25 1/2 inch scale with 13-56 d'addario...but go for it and see if it works...its tought to get the right action and intonation on a short scale guitar..but it might work for you...good luck
Quote by GFoster
i would not suggest using a short scale guitar for baritone tuning...but i have seen it done...i know in flames uses c standard and bjorn uses a 13-68. on a gibson les paul ..its a bit extreme...i have a mc-200 max cavalera viper in b standard but my guitar is 25 1/2 inch scale with 13-56 d'addario...but go for it and see if it works...its tought to get the right action and intonation on a short scale guitar..but it might work for you...good luck

i completely agree. 24.75" scale is just not a good thing for that low of a tuning.

14's or 13's if you don't want it overly tight.

you couldn't tune that low while keeping enough tension on strings to keep it from excessive ratteling while having decent action, at least for me.

first off, you will have to cut the nut, potentially the saddles, and do a major set up. and it still might not be good.

buy a barritone, thats what they are for. Agile makes supposedly a nice LP style 27" scale model for around $400, that i have my eye on.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Not Even Slinky works fine for me.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
.12 in B standard works just right on my Jackson, although the E string gets a bit floppy when I go down to drop A. I imagine .13 would be good for an LP. If it's still floppy, look into 7-string sets and ditch the top string.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Dannimagn
Buy a 7 string set and just throw out the high E string

No shit man did you read my first post?

Anyways... I've got my seven string set, currently my guitar is like this:

14-B
18-F#
28w-D
38-A
48-E
58-B/A

All of the strings feel pretty normal to me, except for the B/A string. It is ok tuned to B; not tight by any means but there is enough tension to keep it from rattling. And in drop A it is probably a bit loose. I'd say the rest of the strings feel similar (maybe slightly more loose) to 9's on a 25.5 scale guitar.

It sounds fine through my amp, not muddy at all, and I didn't have to do any filing of the nut.

I think next time I might just buy my regular power slinky (or beefy) set, chuck out the high E, and buy a 64 or something for the B/A string. Anyway, I hope my experience can help someone in the same situation
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
I have an Epi SG that is tuned in B stand/dropped A. It has an Invader in bridge and no neck pickup. It's also, of course, 24.75" scale. This is my fav guitar for heavy, technical stuff. Have RG, ESP, etc. but I play the primered SG most often. I string 12-17-22w-36-46-60. Perfect sizes for death metal and other technical stuff. Don't need baritone, your epi can sound absolutely sick with the right strings and P/U. Mine's getting a BKP Warpig soon.
P.s. If you're going after doom-hippy-sludge stuff you can just throw in a set of 13-56 and be done with it. Looser low strings sound cool 4 power chords.
Yeah absolutely pointless buying a baritone guitar. I'm liking the strings I have on now. It sounds fine with the pickups I have
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
I play along to Nile albums on mine. Other guy in band has a baritone. They're fine and all, but if I had one it would be in F# or lower, guaranteed.
i have 12-15-24-32-42-52 set in my jackson dk2 its 25.5 scale but sounds good
imo it sounds more brighter than 7 str neck thru guitars which i played but i have duncan designed tb4 on bridge and i think i need sd tb6 with ceramic magnets
52 6th string is badly loose on A but goes well with B i use standart B tuning
Quote by TheAbsentOne
You do realize, though, such a low tuning with such thick strings will result in a very muddy tone due to the extremely low quality pickups? Not saying there's anything wrong with doing this, it's just the tone of the guitar itself will be pretty awful.

I think this. I prefer a really warm stonery/doomy tone, but with brighter pickups and the right amp it should sound fine.

My friend and I both play in C standard / Drop A# on 24.75" guitars. I use something along the lines of 13-64 whereas my friend plays something like 13-60. Once I started doing C tunings, I could not stand my usual EB or D'addario sets. I recently switched over to ZOG sets from Zachary guitars; and while the owner is a bit of an asshole, his sets are well balanced and far from sloppy.
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.